63 Impala project continues...

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the pictures Bob. I wonder if you should use some epoxy of some kind on the tail lamp studs to keep them from spinning next time. I like that line about the parts pile shrinking and the car growing. I know you can't wait to pull her out all complete in the spring.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

That trim piece at the bottom of the roof at the B pillar, between the rear glass and the back seat window, how does that come off? Looks like it has studs that go inside and fasten with speed nuts, or something like that?

Need sunglasses to look at that car, nice looking paint.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
That trim piece at the bottom of the roof at the B pillar, between the rear glass and the back seat window, how does that come off? Looks like it has studs that go inside and fasten with speed nuts, or something like that?

Need sunglasses to look at that car, nice looking paint.

Don

The trim at the roof to quarter area has 3 studs and speed nuts from the inside.

bobs409

Administrator
How sweet it is! LF fender is now cut, buffed and installed. Got some shots of it outside under normal lighting and it looks ---> :love A few under the florescents and installed too. It's starting to look like a 63 Chevy again. :D

Got to install some trim on there too. The 6 piece side trim is only available in white and as you probably know, white cars got black in that area so that means I have to paint each one. Using some fine line tape and a bit of Rustoleum semi gloss did the job nicely.

I even created a new saying today, "I couldn't buy a 63 Chevy brand new but that doesn't mean I can't make one!" -Bob :wax

DSCN5340.jpg DSCN5341.jpg DSCN5343.jpg DSCN5344.jpg DSCN5346.jpg DSCN5347.jpg DSCN5348.jpg DSCN5351.jpg

So, does anyone care to question my "outdoor" paint job method now? :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It looks great, Bob. We have too many bugs and way too much wind to do a nice outdoor job.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That looks fantastic! I would never question "outdoor" paint jobs. Years ago when I was still living with my parents, I painted quit a few cars in the driveway. I never sanded and buffed the dust out, but they came out pretty nice. The nicest "outdoor" paint job was my buddies VW Rabbit. Almost no dust or orange peel, very nice gloss and his wife wrecked the car a week later. :facepalm