Restarting my 348 project!!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dug out the parts I have in boxes and sorted through what I need and what I don’t anymore. Came across the harmonic balancer and it looks good but when I did my grocery list for show cars I seen one for 348/409 strokers(SBC). What’s the difference?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 25

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I would replace it. You wouldn't trust driving safely on 60 year old rubber tires, so how would you expect that 60 year old strip of rubber pressed in between the inertia ring & hub of your torsional dampner ( harmonic balancer) to perform its job as designed.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was suspect of it anyway and going new is cheap. There is one listed at show cars for “stroker builds” PN#6344. and is SBC. What the difference between that and a regular 348/409 one? PN#5479

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Other than the degree markings being 10 degrees off,not much.Just make sure that it's neutral balanced.PN #5480 would be a better choice for what you're doing.

Last edited:

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Other than the degree markings being 10 degrees off,not much.Just make sure that it's neutral balanced.PN #5480 would be a better choice for what you're doing.
Ok thanks Don I’ll add it to the list.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok now I’m at the intake and valve springs part of my list, way too much to pick from. First need to clarify if 817 heads are small or large port to get the right Edelbrock intake 7515 large and 7514 small, Both 1X4 carb dual plane
valve springs, from all the reading there’s 2 pound options For a 951 comp cam 110# Or 125# then I pick The right one for 817 heads.
I always seem to have more questions than answers.:doh:wacko:dunno2

Last edited: