348er in Switzerland

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
the block is now at a engine workshop for drill and honing and other mechanical work .

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 13.06.55.jpeg

the old man has 45 years of experience in engine rebuild , but never see a W-Engine . the W is very rare her in Switzerland . all Swiss Chevy guys prefered the small block . since 30 years , we work together and he buildt many engines for me in this time .
i buyed the book " rebuild and modify Chevy 348/409 from John Carollo " before i buyed my Impala . i owned also the two HotRod magacines with the report over the W-engine from 348cid to 434cid . with this knowledge and the help of the knowledge of the members of this forum , i think , i bring my engine back to the road in much better shape and performance . oh yes, i'm a trained toolmaker by profession:wax

@ Fathead Racing / Ray : many thanks for your offer, that's very generous of you :appl

a few parts are now arrived at my workshop : a new waterpump , a new oilpump , many small engineparts and the 4" Scatkit :D :tongue2
the Edelbrock kit 2039 is orderet in August last year , but not arrived to this time . it should be delivered in mid-March

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 13.05.33.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 13.06.12.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-04 at 13.06.30.jpeg

Last edited:

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
i ask myself the same thing . but for the first street registration of the car in switzerland, it must be as original as possible . we have very strict laws for old cars in switzerland . when the powerglide disassembles , there is a th 350 or th 400 the next ( maybe an oder on , on automatics I have no idea :hide )

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This should end well....plenty of good stuff there.

My only worry would be cam selection and the valve to block clearance on 348s, but just so you are aware in advance.

Carollo's book is good in some places, but can be inaccurate in others so look at all of the info that you have.

Good luck!

Last edited:

409N

Well Known Member
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Edelbrock components , :( it sounds like Edelbrock is on the ropes :(

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Edelbrock components , :( it sounds like Edelbrock is on the ropes :(
Be nice, just because they are moving doesn't mean much. Actually, they are already in talks with buying 2-3 other companies so I don't see the brand going anywhere anytime soon. Just wish they would get off their butt and make more small port dual quads.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That's cool but not an Edelbrock, not designed as a dual plane and they were not that nice of a casting inside. I'll be sure to get some better pictures of my small port dual quad Edelbrock when it comes off soon. I sold my dual quad Offenhauser off a couple years ago but of coarse yours is the rare carb flange for quadra-junks. (I'm not a fan of those carbs but I'm told they can be made to work well.) I have an image of a tunnel ram made for 409s that has the dual quadra-jet flanges. What year was your intake made?

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
When tractor pulls were a thing in the late 70's early 80's here in Oz, most of the chevy powered units had bullet proof cast iron glides, these had multiple blown BBC in front of them.
I wouldn't rule one out if it was built properly, mind you more gears are sometimes better.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When tractor pulls were a thing in the late 70's early 80's here in Oz, most of the chevy powered units had bullet proof cast iron glides, these had multiple blown BBC in front of them.
I wouldn't rule one out if it was built properly, mind you more gears are sometimes better.
We had to rebuild one at work last year and it was hard to find parts for them. Could someone post a link to a good part/s supplier for these transmissions?

Dä Huäbär

Well Known Member
today i receive a mail from Summit Racing ( i orderet my parts there ) , in this stay , Edelbrock is currently moving their manufacturing facility to another location which is pushing back their backorders until April at the earliest :cuss

just wait and see :bore3

409N

Well Known Member
I buy a lot of parts from Summit, good people ,,,,,,, BUT if you get a back order notice , your gonna wait and you may never get your parts.