Rocker arm comparison

63409impala

Well Known Member
Well, with what im going through with my 409, I figured why not try different rocker arms to see which one is best for my setup. Already tried prw stainless to find out they don't like solid roller spring pressures. I will be comparing harland sharps, scorpions race rockers, comp gold rockers, crower stainless rockers, and walden pedestal rockers.

Reactions: Tim

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Crower SS are by far the best roller rocker. Larger trunnion bearing than anyone else. Comps' SS are pretty good too,what I have on mine. Heard mixed reviews on PRWs from the Pontiac guys also.

63409impala

Well Known Member
Comp ss rockers don't clear my valvesprings. The trunions on the new ones are too wide.

Attachments

• 20210401_214738.jpg
    20210401_214738.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 51

63409impala

Well Known Member
You don’t know that the intake and exhaust pushrods are different lengths in the stock W engine?
Yes I do know they are different lengths. But usually the exhaust is longer than the intake. Or so I thought. To get the right sweep on the intake, it uses a 9.100 length pr. To get the exhaust looking decent, it's either the same length, or a little shorter.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m pretty sure the ex. length on my motor is 9.100 and the intakes are 8.900 This is with stock length valves and a 735 lift cam. I’ll try to pull a cover Sunday and see if i can verify this. “There marked”.

63409impala

Well Known Member
Barry, my valves are .100 longer than stockers. And I have a .655 solid roller with 1.7 ratio roller rockers. I'm just trying to do the best I can .

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looking like you will need shaft rocker arm pedestal's with some offset, or look into a shorter valve with a different spring retainer.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Barry, my valves are .100 longer than stockers. And I have a .655 solid roller with 1.7 ratio roller rockers. I'm just trying to do the best I can .
If I get to the shop today I’ll look up the paperwork on my old 690 heads. If I remember correctly the intakes are Chevy BB and the exhaust are Pontiac Ram Air. The valves themselves are different heights.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I distinctly remember Ronnie telling me that when using big block length valves correct geometry becomes a real PITA.Sounds like what you're running into here.