Iowa 348/409 Drag Race July 23,24, & 25 at Onawa Dragway $ 4000 payout now….to the racers

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Maybe so I was parked next to Ray Whitneys 409 Station Wagon, I was the slowest
409 down the strip, 18.6, my seat wasn't fastened down, and I was rocking back and
forth, try to shift, what a ride, my drag career, all in one race. lol. I'll do better this time.

Story could be that it was so hot down there and you didn't want to wear a helmet, hence the ET.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe so I was parked next to Ray Whitneys 409 Station Wagon, I was the slowest
409 down the strip, 18.6, my seat wasn't fastened down, and I was rocking back and
forth, try to shift, what a ride, my drag career, all in one race. lol. I'll do better this time.
My 16.3 runs in my wagon were consistent all day back in 2019 but this coming race at Onawa is 1/8 mile. I've done some tuning/practice since I met up with these guys last time. Keep in mind you will be around some of the smartest guys with these engines. Might be able to do some tuning on your car on the spot and wake the old girl up a little more. Besides none of us really care how fast she goes down the track but maybe Dave. Crusher has an improved heart stuffed in her so she better Giddy Up all the way down the track or Dave might put the old girl down.:horseLOL!

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
I have an original dual quad intake manifold with AFB carbs in good condition if anyone is interested. Took them off my 62 when I switched to Edelbrock. Had them on the site for sale a few years ago. If anyone is interested let me know will send pictures & numbers. Willing to let go at a reasonable price + there won't be any shipping cost. Thanks.

Joel

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had the wrong phone number for the motel in Onawa, Iowa only 3 miles from the track. Thanks for checking for me Stan

Its a America Best Value Inn ,right off the interstate. They will provide a discount if you mention the Onawa Dragway and our race there. Nice rooms from the pictures.
you must call their direct number 712-423-2101.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is our current list racing and additional attendees

for July 23 (test on Friday if you wish), 24th and 25th
  1. Paul Stensland 62 Impala SS
  2. Randy Johnson 64 Chevy Wagon
  3. Dave Coots 64 Impala
  4. Barry Taylor 63 Impala
  5. Ralph Dehne - 63 Chevy
  6. Joel Schneeweis 62 Chevy
  7. James Schrader - 62 Chevy Salt shaker
  8. Michael Auch - 64 Impala SS
  9. Dean 61 bubble top
  10. Nate Embacher 62 Impala SS
  11. Stan Ball - 62 Belair bubbletop
  12. Who is next???
Others & Show List
  1. Robert Street (show) 61 Chevy
  2. Tom Kochtanek - 62 Impala SS
  3. I am working on many more attendees for this list
Additional information

• For those wanting to arrive on Friday July 23 gates will be open by 2PM To stay overnight if you have a motorhome. I will be there early Friday Afternoon. Paul Stensland call(. 712-223-1962 cell)
  • no problem running generators for power, they do not have power hookups.
  • we will be parking in our own space “together in our own area about 300 feet from the starting line in the pits facing the track - she said they will mark our area + additional cars be located all together - extra car/ trailers can go between racing trailers or in front or behind the two rigs. our space is grass with a rock shoulder on the pit lane
  • our racers ( and our 348/409 visitors who could race or show will enter on asphalt entrance racers road to the track and the paved return road in the pits. This RACERs GATE that has its own sign - access is located 1.1 miles south of the only stop light on Onawa , Iowa.
  • Onawa, Iowa is only 2 miles east from north/south I -29
  • gates open Saturday & Sunday at 7:30 AM, Time Trails 10:00 AM Eliminations 1 or 2 PM.
  • we could race both days - but I said Sunday only race and time trails on Saturday
  • using sportsman's tree 3 yellow lights then green
  • track is treated concrete 1/8 mile diamond ground for a full 1/4 mail - very smooth -it was diamond ground 2 years ago before it opened
  • the track will keep track of our best reaction light on Saturday's Time trails for the $500 award we will give to the best light.
  • the track suggested the 1st round losers' both of them could pay to run again and - the winner would then become at part of round 3
  • we can set up random cars to run as we line up or the track can pick from our qualifiers to pair of cars. Our group runs together.
  1. IHRA rules roll cage for 6:50 better or 135 mph in1/8 mile for roll cage, I am sure the correct helmet and seat belts apples
  2. our inspection of our racers will be in our pit area by track personnel
  3. racer and one crew member entry is free.
  4. More crew members & visitors are $15 per day and $25 for 2 days.
  5. we will receive Trophy from the track for winner and runner up
  6. Entry for extra cars in our group not racing is $15 per day or $25 for 2 days.
I am will be catering a Saturday night pulled pork sandwiches or Barbeque beef sandwich with salads -dinner for all our attendees and their quests donation accepted but not required. To be held in air conditioned large concession building that has tables and chairs at the south end of the starting line around 5:30 to 6PM Saturday night July 24th.

I will have at least 2 pop up tents around my trailer for shade

call me as needed Paul Stensland 712-223-1962 cell
or you can call Randy Johnson 515-850-8234 we are both promoting the event.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
I also have available Auto City Classics Item # 35044201981 (# from 6 years ago) 59 - 63 Chevrolet full size Aluminum radiator in good condition. I upgraded to a Champion MC (helped cool somewhat). If anyone interested let me know can send pictures. Make me an offer is just taking up space in my garage. Thanks.

Joel

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
To Gippy up 409 Here's a photo of my interior back seat. I have heard that the 62 SS
had an option for a cloth insert like the one in this photo? Any response from members
would be nice.

This is out of my 62 SS Impala code 949 or 948 with 812 interior. Front bucket seats are
the same. with console.

100_3897 3 2.jpeg

100_3184.jpeg