62 rear body mount bolts.

heddrik

Well Known Member
How do you get the rear body mount bolts, near the rear wheel, loose? No access from above , I flooded area with PB blaster. Impact just sat there.... I know they are 61 years old, but gee. Don t want to cut them, the bolt head is in perfect shape. What did you do to remove yours? Thank you. Kent.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Look on post 326 on Jim Sullivan's 1962 impala going to try to save another one. This show what is required if you can't remove or save bolts. The caged nut might have to be replaced if you can't save it.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If you can't get bolts out then cut heads off and when lifting body up off frame bolts will slide up out of mount. Then if you have torch you could try heating bolt next to nut and see if you can free up bolt from caged nut then you can use a pipe wrench on remaining bolt exposed. If not then the post above will be the next option.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
How do you get the rear body mount bolts, near the rear wheel, loose? No access from above , I flooded area with PB blaster. Impact just sat there.... I know they are 61 years old, but gee. Don t want to cut them, the bolt head is in perfect shape. What did you do to remove yours? Thank you. Kent.
As long as the captured nut is not spinning inside the brace, we have had a little bit of success drilling a small hole in the bulge in the floor inside the trunk, above the nut and spray penetrating oil on the other side of the bolt. If the nut is spinning, there is no option but to cut the bolt off or cut the bulge in the floor open to access the nut, then heat it and clamp vise grips on to hold it.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Heat is your best friend with frozen bolts
Get the head cherry red and it will expand the bolt
When it cools and contracts a lot of times it will break it free
Keep a fire extinguisher close by just in case

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Use a holesaw small enough to go from the outside of the box brace so that you can get a wrench on the nut…….. you can re-weld a hole later if needed
My understanding is he is trying to get the bolts out of the rail directly behind rear tire in center top of tire as in Jim's picture which is on top shelf of trunk which he cut out to replace the caged nut. The box brace is back of tire. Usually box is rusted out anyway and cutting it is no problem getting bolt out since box gets replaced anyway it has the caged nut on it already.

Attachments

• 20220402_095330.jpg
    20220402_095330.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220402_095403.jpg
    20220402_095403.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220402_122132.jpg
    20220402_122132.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220402_132647.jpg
    20220402_132647.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I worked in a Ford dealership there was a recall for subframe mounting plate and bolts on Taurus ,sable on the two rear subframe to body because of salt corrosion . If the caged nut spun you had to cut two holes about 2 and 7/8 in front floor boards .Then through hole bend tabs up and replace caged nut and bend tabs back down. Put a rubber plug over hole and replace bolt and reinforcement plate washer. It didn't pay much under warranty recall. They furnished the hole saw also and the bolt kit. Two different pay levels depending on having to replace caged nut or just bolt kit So yes it was a pain even for tech's back then and probably still is .

heddrik

Well Known Member
OK, that bolt finally came out. However the bolt behind it broke in half. I m trying to drill it out, but don t see ANY access there except for cutting something some where. Any pictures would help greatly, thank you.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
OK, that bolt finally came out. However the bolt behind it broke in half. I m trying to drill it out, but don t see ANY access there except for cutting something some where. Any pictures would help greatly, thank you.
Pictures from you would help . :teehee If it's in the box brace body mount ????

heddrik

Well Known Member
Not sure what it s called, looks like a box, just below the fuel tank door. I see no access anywhere. Have to drill the bolt out 1st.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Not sure what it s called, looks like a box, just below the fuel tank door. I see no access anywhere. Have to drill the bolt out 1st.
If that box is rusted out no need to drill bolt will need replaced anyway. Got any pictures of your car in progress???

Attachments

• B6845W.jpeg
    B6845W.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4