12 bolt rear end

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Am in need of 12 bolt complete, aftermarket rear end for 62 Chev. Found sources for 9 in Ford, but not Chev 12 bolt. Any suggestions?? Thanks.......

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I would think any of the major co's should have them. MIght have to give them a call. currie, strange, moser. I have all moser internals and they were easy to deal with. And got the order right.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
They all sell F-9" or the Dana. Lots of fit problems with the 12 bolt and the ears on the center section. F-9" requires you to cut away part of the driveshaft tunnel for the lower pinion position. Are you going racing?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks to all, Researching for a friend. Certainly not for me, as I cannot afford an axle bearing. Dual purpose car. Much horsepower. Thanks again........

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Ronnie

we have been using Moser just because they're right up the road from us. they have some good prices on complete assemblies. i know they will not fab. a 12bolt hsg. for our cars. they don't like the idea of welding the upper brackets to the center section casting. i know it can be done but you may run into the problem of warping the casting and end up with bearing problems down the road. i have been tooling the idea around of somehow using the chevelle hsg. in our cars? we have always wanted to move the upper brackets up for better traction control, maybe a bracket could be made to use the chevelle hsg. ????

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
we have been using Moser just because they're right up the road from us. they have some good prices on complete assemblies. i know they will not fab. a 12bolt hsg. for our cars. they don't like the idea of welding the upper brackets to the center section casting. i know it can be done but you may run into the problem of warping the casting and end up with bearing problems down the road. i have been tooling the idea around of somehow using the chevelle hsg. in our cars? we have always wanted to move the upper brackets up for better traction control, maybe a bracket could be made to use the chevelle hsg. ????

I am using a 12 bolt from a 67 impala. Had the bracket welded to the center section. No problens yet. (knock on wood).

gearhead409

Well Known Member
bubbletop 1961

i, like you, may do this for myself and if it fails i only have myself to blame. but for a customer i think i would have to take the same stand as Moser. don't want the bad rap!

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am using a 12 bolt from a 67 impala. Had the bracket welded to the center section. No problens yet. (knock on wood).

Just wondering. Why can't you move the brackets and redo the uppers so they can be repositioned?

Far as 12 bolts go you can redo a GM 8.5 10 bolt, not to be confused with an 8.2, and get close to the same strength.

So far invested 50.00 in a complete POSI - they are cheap, next 180.00 to cut and reweld the ends, since the splines are plenty long and not tapered I remove an 1/2 on each end and keep the axles, 125.00 new brackets. Already has a 28 spline POSI in it and if needed I can go up a 33 spline and spool it for under 350.00.
Same thing running 8.90 in 70's camaros.

Then my stock posi can live out in an origanal.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
do any of you guys recall the old articles in super chevy? they took a 68-up chevelle rear and fabbed some angled upper arms. claimed that the lowers lined up but they used the panhard bracket from the 62 rear. also had the driveshaft from a 68 el-camino installed. claimed it was a drop-in. and i recall it looked pretty fair when done. along about 1982-83 or so. have them at home.

but here are the pics sent by Fred of what Denny made for his 63

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 252
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 229
  • untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 189
  • untitled4.jpg
    untitled4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 190
  • untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 178

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
the rest of the pics

sent to me by Fred

Attachments

• untitled6.jpg
    untitled6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 194
  • untitled7.jpg
    untitled7.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 177
  • untitled8.jpg
    untitled8.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 161
  • untitled9.jpg
    untitled9.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 170
  • untitled10.jpg
    untitled10.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 181

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
hope these will help. maybe Denny can shed some light if u have more questions

Attachments

• untitled11.jpg
    untitled11.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 143

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WOW! That is some damm fine work!!! Thank you for the pics as well! I see they used HEIM joints so that the upper brackets could be moved out off the housing. Just what I needed to see here for my build.

Thanks again!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Bob, Great pictures. Denny is the best. Seems like I remember an old article that mentioned 70 Chevelle for driveshaft. But where can you find 68 to 70 Chevelle parts? I think my buddy will opt for Ford since it is a "bolt in" installation and more inexpensive. He can't weld or fabricate so the bolt in is more practicle. Thanks Don for the link. I like the "click on picture" instructions. Great information from everyone. Thanks again.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
They all sell F-9" or the Dana. Lots of fit problems with the 12 bolt and the ears on the center section. F-9" requires you to cut away part of the driveshaft tunnel for the lower pinion position. Are you going racing?

I have a Ford 9" in my 60 Impala, did not have to cut tunnel :dunno

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Hey !! Somebody stole my pictures :) :)

I think there's more hocos pokos to this deal than there needs to be . I have been running my car w/ a 12 bolt very similar to what i did for Fred's car since 1996 , 1.45 60' ft times w/ 10.5 tire leave @ 6,ooo rpm or higher w/o incident or failures. May be i'm just lucky ?

I had a professional welder do mine and he showed me how to weld to the alloy that the center section is made of .

The pictures Bob posted are from Fred Totten's when i did it. I ordered a 4 link mounting kit & modified it to make all the brackets. :dunno

Ronnie : PM me if you need more info.

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
12 bolt

This is strickley my $.0000002 worth:
I think I've told this elsewhere but I got CRS real bad!! I originally had a 9" until NMCA told us that we had to run the same corporate reat as the car. It must have been 92 because I always ran the 5.13 12 bolt w/the roller & Tony built that(or speced it & did the induction anyway) in time for the 93 season.
In my ignorance(?) I welded the brackets on with 6011 rod....It has seen well over 300 runs-some w/trans brake & no trouble yet. Donnie was running an Olds rear but I decided to use the 64-7 A-body 12B because it was almost the exact width as the original. I talked to several of the later mod. big car guys running 12B rears & they had no trouble(with rears).