'60 Chevrolet Impala HT

Impala60

Well Known Member
My old car needs all of that done. If you decide you want to visit the southeastern U.S. for awhile I could fix you up with room & board. :D

:D:D

If I had money, I'd be very glad to visit in a couple of NHRA Drag Racing events and other car events as well. Well, luckily the summer is coming here in Finland as well and soon I can cruise around with this thing...;)

Here's some stuff that I got during the last couple of days. Wheel Vintiques' 15X8 steel wheels to back and headers by Hedman Hedders. I sanded those wheels lightly yesterday and today I'll shoot some gloss black on them. I need to remove that paint from those headers too before I can send them to be coated with silver.

DSCN3467.JPG

DSCN3468.JPG

During the weekend I think I'll paint those quarter panels red...Stay Tuned.

Impala60

Well Known Member
Thanks!

I agree, it's going to be a lot of fun to drive around with this. I'm just afraid that many of my friends might want to come in for a ride so I'll have to act a Taxi Driver when I get this running.:D
Seriously speaking, it's always fun to drive around with a couple of good friends and play some good Rockabilly music.

Today I found two 15X7" Chrome Reverses by Cragar for this. It wasn't very easy to find them - 6" and 8" wide wheels would have been easy to find but these weren't. Luckily I found them now, though.

DSCN3471.JPG

Rear tires arrived, too. They look really good, just tall enough (255/70/15).

DSCN3475.JPG

And while I had my camera with me, I decided to shoot a picture after painting the backside of those rear wheels with gloss black.

DSCN3473.JPG

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Never seen a car like yours. 5-bolt hubs on the front and 10-bolt hubs on the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably need 10-bolt hubs for the back to handle all the horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impala60

Well Known Member
Actually those Reverses will be installed in the front.;)

But I believe that those 5 bolt hubs will handle the power from a nearly stock 283 pretty well.:D

It's a shame that I couldn't find those wheels with only five holes in them. All of them have two bolt patterns in them, but I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Impala60

Well Known Member
Today I masked the front end of the car before painting. I also had to move some stuff outside to have a little more room and I didn't want them to turn red either.

DSCN3477.JPG

DSCN3480.JPG

DSCN3481.JPG

Now everything was ready for paint.

Then I took out the paints I brought home yesterday. Big thanks to the guy at the paint shop for instructions how to mix up that paint, hardener and thinner. I figured out the right setup for my airbrush pretty fast and the paint laid pretty smoothly. The shade of it seems to be really close to the old paint.
This was the first time for me painting bigger surfaces on car bodies with an airbrush and I have to be really happy with the results. It's pretty smooth and pretty shiny so I'm happy & it wasn't as hard as I've heard.

DSCN3493.JPG

DSCN3494.JPG

Now I'll let it dry for a while and after that I'll paint that white stripe.

Impala60

Well Known Member
Today after removing the papers covering that area where those white stripes will be painted, I decided to shoot a couple of photos of both sides. Driver's side doesn't look as shiny as it is in reality, but otherwise these pics turned out decent.

DSCN3508.JPG

DSCN3518.JPG

DSCN3526.JPG

DSCN3537.JPG

DSCN3530.JPG

Now I will let it dry for couple of days before masking away red areas and painting the white. I'm planning to do that on Friday.

I painted the outsides of rear wheels with gloss black. They need to be clearcoated before tires can be installed, though.

DSCN3523.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Air brush??? All the air brushes I have seen don"t hold much paint??? C an we see it???Look"s like you did a good job painting it!!!!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Got to say this: Congratulations to your Parents!! For an 18 year old, you've got it together! Keep it going! :appl:appl

Lonnie

Impala60

Well Known Member
Thanks Fellows for the kind comments! :cheers

I had to check that air brush thing on Google and it looks like air brush is a different thing than a spray gun, which I used to paint those areas. You know on Finnish language there is only one word for air brush and spray gun so I thought it's the same thing in English as well. So yep, I used a spray gun. I have an air brush too but as you said, it doesn't hold much paint in it.:D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great Job...:clap Looks like you have a good foundation in the Hot Rod Hobby...:winner

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It's a shame that I couldn't find those wheels with only five holes in them. All of them have two bolt patterns in them, but I guess I'll just have to live with it.
My son went to a hardware store and found the right size push-in plugs that pretty much hide the extra holes.

Impala60

Well Known Member
Thanks for the kind words, Guys!

My son went to a hardware store and found the right size push-in plugs that pretty much hide the extra holes.

Wow, I never thought of that! I will have to go and check if I can find a set of those from my local hardware store...Thanks for the tip.:bow

Today I painted those white stripes also. Of course first I masked away those red areas that I had painted earlier and after removing grease I mixed up some paint and put it in my spray gun. The end result is pretty good and looks like both of those colors are matching very nicely to that old paint. In these pictures those old red areas are a bit dusty so they look darker when they're clean.

DSCN3720.JPG

DSCN3725.JPG

DSCN3727.JPG

DSCN3731.JPG

DSCN3733.JPG

Impala60

Well Known Member
Thanks guys & sorry that I haven't updated this thread even though I've made progress on this car.

Well here we go.

Next thing on my "To Do List" was to figure out what was wrong with the lights as they didn't work. I'm not very good with wiring and electricity business so I was a bit afraid of this part. Luckily the problem was solved easily by cleaning up wire joints. Everything else worked just fine, but other one of high beam lights didn't work. Here's a shot with the headlights on.

DSCN4178.JPG

DSCN4184.JPG

So I went to a local American Car Parts dealer and bought new Sealed Beams for those high beam lights. After installing them on place everthing worked just fine.

DSCN4179.JPG

Then I took my tires to a tire shop so that they could put tires & wheels together. After that I put front tires & wheels on. It went easily, but I had some trouble with the rears. As I've said earlier, my rear tires are size 255/70/15 and with those 8" steelies they didn't fit very easily between brake drum and body. I had to jack the car up from under the frame, lower the rear axle and take off a rear spring to get tires fit inside the body. This had to be done on both sides. In addition, I had to cut a little material off from that replacement quarter panel. Front corner of the wheel opening was a bit different than on original body and because of that I could not fit my tire on place. After cutting some material off and repainting that cutting line with a brush, both of the tires were installed on place and they turn easily without hitting anything.

Here's a poor quality picture of the cut I had to do.
DSCN4269.JPG

Then I fired up the car and drove it outside from the garage. It ran pretty nicely after adjusting the idle a little. Outside it was much easier to work as doors and everything could be opened.

DSCN4440.JPG

DSCN4439.JPG

DSCN4442.JPG

DSCN4443.JPG

I had some trouble finding suitable mounts for quarterpanel side trim. Classic Industries sells a set including those parts, but with shipping prices it would have been quite expensive and it would have taken a bit too long to arrive here in Finland. Luckily I found a set of plastic interior trim mounts from a local car parts dealer that looked pretty good. I bought that set and with some slugs (Is that the right word?) I installed them inside the trim. I can tell you that they fit perfectly on place and I'm really happy on the result.

DSCN4448.JPG

DSCN4451.JPG

Then I did some fine tuning on the brakes and fixed a windshield washer. I found out that the nozzles were full of dust and other unnecessary stuff so I cleaned them up with some compressed air. After that I washed the car and these pics were taken after I dried it. The paint looks much better in these pics as it is in reality, even though it looks okay in person too.

DSCN4452.JPG

DSCN4453.JPG

This morning I went to tech inspection. No major problems were found so I passed the inspection and now I'm able to drive with it as much as I want...Yee Haw!!! You bet I drove around with it a lot today.:D Here are a couple of pics. They're not too great, but the weather wasn't very sunny either...

DSCN4455.JPG

DSCN4456.JPG