Looking for advice on 1963 Impala SS

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 63 is not an original 409 car. Your Camaro is an original (real) Z28. I wouldn't trade unless you don't care for your Camaro anymore.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My friend is going to try and sell his ‘55 Chevy at Mecum Harrisburg. He’s had it for sale at the Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown PA for $150k with no luck
Note that Mecum will at least consider changing the sellers fee if the bids are reasonably close to the reserve, with the seller on the auction block.
At that value he can pick the day to sell his car.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Barrett Jackson sold a 1964 Impala lot #812 at Scottsdale 2024 for 154K, it's a Paul car. A friend of mine just sold a 62 Bubble top he had 125K in the car and it sold for 65K at a local consignment dealer.

Mecum sells reserve and non reserve they sold three bubble tops in Kissimmee 2024 45-75K I believe, some guy's ask for world and don't sell and some learn you can have 150K into a car and it's only going too bring 80K or less that's just facts. Then you have those guys that get into a bidding war where someone just isn't going to lose the car over ego and overpay.

We've gotten off the subject of JohnS' question if you like the car and can afford 50K now and sell the Camaro for 75K on consignment that would be a good deal, I won't trade the Camaro even and since it's a dealer he should give you the 63 and 15K he's a dealer and has too make money.

A guy told me one day pull into and town and go to a dealership and he's probably the richest guy in town.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Here is why.Missing the 409 shroud(63’s should have slots on the bottom holes),and missing the return fuel line.Notice the difference in the shrouds,altenator pulley,and glass fuel bowl.The 409 shrouds had less ribs and there should be a second chromed return line on the filter that runs behind the valve cover.These are usually giveaways about originality.IMG_2888.jpeg IMG_2887.jpegIMG_2891.jpegThe dipstick should also have 409ss stamped on it.

JohnS

Here is why.Missing the 409 shroud(63’s should have slots on the bottom holes),and missing the return fuel line.Notice the difference in the shrouds,altenator pulley,and glass fuel bowl.The 409 shrouds had less ribs and there should be a second chromed return line on the filter that runs behind the valve cover.These are usually giveaways about originality.View attachment 142714 View attachment 142715View attachment 142716The dipstick should also have 409ss stamped on it.
Although there are incorrect or missing parts, it still can be the original engine as the VIN stamping seems to indicate. Thanks for the info, gives me something to think about.

JohnS

Barrett Jackson sold a 1964 Impala lot #812 at Scottsdale 2024 for 154K, it's a Paul car. A friend of mine just sold a 62 Bubble top he had 125K in the car and it sold for 65K at a local consignment dealer.

Mecum sells reserve and non reserve they sold three bubble tops in Kissimmee 2024 45-75K I believe, some guy's ask for world and don't sell and some learn you can have 150K into a car and it's only going too bring 80K or less that's just facts. Then you have those guys that get into a bidding war where someone just isn't going to lose the car over ego and overpay.

We've gotten off the subject of JohnS' question if you like the car and can afford 50K now and sell the Camaro for 75K on consignment that would be a good deal, I won't trade the Camaro even and since it's a dealer he should give you the 63 and 15K he's a dealer and has too make money.

A guy told me one day pull into and town and go to a dealership and he's probably the richest guy in town.
Probably very true. The dealer told me he’d split the transport costs with me but for the difference in the value of the cars, he should eat the whole thing

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Although there are incorrect or missing parts, it still can be the original engine as the VIN stamping seems to indicate. Thanks for the info, gives me something to think about.
I would be leary of both the trim tag and vin both look like they have been off

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why don’t you think that it’s an original 409 car? Others on this forum seem to think it is.
Fan shroud is the most common overlooked item on a clone. Plus all the other things that the car does not have, fuel line especially. The car is not original. Re stamp blocks are common. I didn't pay attention to the price of the car, it may be a good deal as a clone. But I surely would not let a Z28 go in trade unless your Camaro is in poor shape.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The way that trunk floor is very poorly patched is very telling of the quality of the rest of the car. There are better cars out there for that kind of money.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The GL Classic Cars website won't open for me (times out for some reason), so can someone please post the photos of the cowl tag and stamp pad here so I can decode them. Thanks.