Looking for advice on 1963 Impala SS

JohnS

Hello all, I’m considering trading for a 1963 Impala that supposedly has the numbers matching 409/425 engine. My knowledge of these cars is limited and I could use some advice. A possible red flag is the trim tag which is hard to read and looks like it might be altered. It shows the car was assembled the 2nd week of Feb but the engine has a build date in Oct which seems odd. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
https://www.glclassiccars.com/details/used-1963-chevrolet-impala/101582997

Last edited:
Reactions: 327

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it is "number matching" the vin# is stamped in the block right beside the build date/app code and it will match the car. If the vin matches the car I don't think I would be concerned about the engine build date being that far off. But blocks can be restamped!
Jeff

JohnS

True. Im sure VIN plates can be recreated as well. I’m curious if anyone has seen a cowl tag like the one on this car. The ones I’ve seen are usually clear and legible.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My comments

Factory hooded (hooded tach is correct ) has the wrong redline face (5200 RPM for 340 HP or 6200 RPM for 400 HP and 435 HP) - redline does not match either one of them -looks like a repro face that is completely incorrect for redline location

Cowl tag looks like a damaged original
S in VIN number is for St Louis GM plant
SL on Cowl tag is for St Louis fisher body plant
2B from cowl tag top line build date of 2nd week of February 1963
Trim appears to be # 854 -which is Aqua bucket seat SS interior
paint appears to be # 918 -which is Azure Aqua exterior paint

fan shroud is a small block fan shroud -its not the correct 409 fan shroud with small ribs
Alternator missing deep groove solid pulley (to small)

No return line on fuel filter (should have return line fuel filter & missing chrome line that parallels the valve cover on the passenger side to connect to the return line that runs to the gas tank (All 63 409 cars came with return lines from front carb to the gas tank)

bucket seats mounted on top of carpet -not correct -factory cut slits in carpet and mounted seat brackets to the floor pan and folded carpet around the seat brackets

Others should comment for you
It looks like a nice restoration (need floor pan pictures to check for floor work )

Paul

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
True. Im sure VIN plates can be recreated as well. I’m curious if anyone has seen a cowl tag like the one on this car. The ones I’ve seen are usually clear and legible.
I have on a car that has been wrecked, nice car and I won't be concerned if the dealer is reputable.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A few more things wrong rad cap,master cylinder,exhaust manifolds,and it looks like there was a patch cut in the trunk where the box brace is.These were prime rust areas.The 409/flag gap might be the angle,but these are my original fenders from a original 409 car. IMG_2848.jpeg
But as Paul said,it looks like a nice restoration and sounds nice.Talk them down 10-15k,Have them pull the valve covers and make sure they are drippers,snap some photos of the head casting date and numbers should be 690’s,show up there in some old clothes,a flashlight and crawl under it looking for rust.If it’s solid and they come down you could have yourself a lot of fun.
Good luck

JohnS

A few more things wrong rad cap,master cylinder,exhaust manifolds,and it looks like there was a patch cut in the trunk where the box brace is.These were prime rust areas.The 409/flag gap might be the angle,but these are my original fenders from a original 409 car. View attachment 142686
But as Paul said,it looks like a nice restoration and sounds nice.Talk them down 10-15k,Have them pull the valve covers and make sure they are drippers,snap some photos of the head casting date and numbers should be 690’s,show up there in some old clothes,a flashlight and crawl under it looking for rust.If it’s solid and they come down you could have yourself a lot of fun.
Good luck
Thanks for the info. I was actually going to trade my matching numbers ‘68 Camaro Z28 even for the Impala but I’m starting to rethink that

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keep your Camaro us baby boomers love 409's gen X and forward love your Camaro and it's worth more. In the old days our cars brought the big bucks at the high end auctions today it's again your Camaro.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A few more things wrong rad cap,master cylinder,exhaust manifolds,and it looks like there was a patch cut in the trunk where the box brace is.These were prime rust areas.The 409/flag gap might be the angle,but these are my original fenders from a original 409 car. View attachment 142686
Good luck
The correct 409 emblem & flags are close to each other like R63s picture that he posted - I have seen a number of “original 1963 409 cars with this no space between the flags and 409 emblem.

JohnS

The correct 409 emblem & flags are close to each other like R63s picture that he posted - I have seen a number of “original 1963 409 cars with this no space between the flags and 409 emblem.
I’m surprised that so many things are off on this car after a supposed $80k restoration

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know in the old days they commanded big bucks from us living like we're 17 again.

Now there's not so many of us left, I don't think you'll get that car for much less than 50K if not full price because it's a dealer and he probably has 35-40K into it.

I'd sell the Camaro outright for 60K plus if it's nice and find you a nice 409 car on the internet or real-time for like you said in the thirties or an estate.

Good luck on your decision that's just my opinion.