1/4 mile times

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I was BS-ing on another site about 409's, and learned that a 409/425 only did the quarter in 14.9 seconds at around 95 mph. I don't think I knew that. I certainly didn't believe it either, so I looked it up. Googled several sites and yup, that figure came from actual testing by Motor Trend or someone else. I did see they squeezed a 14.7 out of one trial. Have to tell you, that was very disappointing. I thought they would turn about a 14 second quarter. From what I read, the factory rated them at 425 hp, but it is believed they have even more hp then that. How could that 1/4 mile time be??? Does anyone have personal experience or figures on this issue, which might be different? I'd be talking about a little tweaking, not full out race. Something you could have gotten from the factory and worked on in your garage. I don't recall exactly the time, but a '61 with a 409/360 was also tested. I believe that was a low to mid 15's. Hmmm...…………………….Thanks, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You guys are probably correct. I just have a hard time believing those 1/4 times from a 409/425. About 25 years ago, I ran my '67 GTO at Island Dragway in NJ. 400 cube engine, tripower and tripower camshaft, headers, 4 speed, street tires and 3.73 gears. Several times I ran a 14.2 in the quarter. Looking back, didn't realize how quick that car was, Carmine.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Image below is from Eastern Competitors News listing winners at different tracks around the area. This is from April 12, 1964. Sorry
for the poor reproduction. Notice the A/S and B/S class winners. Both 1962 Chevrolets which would have been factory rated at 409 h.p. for the A/S car and 380 h.p. for the B/S car. Now, the Lewis Drag team were serious racers! No where near the competitive status of Hayden, Dyno Don or Strickler but serious none the less. Notice the e.t./MPH of the B/S car is 12.78 at 112.21. On the other hand the A/S car of "Big Momma" was a daily street driven car. Although a 409/409, but a convertible so no where near the top of the weight break for the A/Stock class. Yet still recorded 13.41 at 104.52.
So, although the magazines may have only gotten high 14 second times getting into the low 13s and even high 12s was not uncommon for a competent mechanic. I don't know if NHRA allowed the improved parts in the olderA & B Stock cars or not but a lot of over the counter goodies were available back then.

Big Momma.jpg

Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
You have take those test times with a grain of salt and understand that it depends highly on the testers.All of GM and Fords fullsize offerings with their top dog motors in the early 60's were capable of ~13.90's at a little over 100 mph with a sharp non professional tuner/driver with a little prep (ie. optimized ignition timing and carb tuning,atlas bucrons,some practice runs to zero in on technique,no unnecessary items in car like bags of groceries briefcases bowling balls passengers full tank of fuel) With a full super stock blueprint serious weight reduction cheater slicks and pro drivers they were much faster.You also have to take into account for option content when comparing cars more option = more weight a fully loaded impala ss 409 is going to weigh significantly more than a low option belair or biscayne.Some of the high performance oriented magazine testers did exactly what listed above and some just hopped into the car as delivered.Attention to detail makes a difference thats why there was always that guy that had a car just like yours that was always faster (unless of course you were that guy).

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Back in 63, my Dads best friend bought a non ss 63 Impala 409-425hp.
Dad said they drove it to the local track (US131 Dragway, Martin,Mi)
Dropped the headpipes from the manifolds and bolted on a pair of skinny cheater slicks, and the car ran 13.20's and 13.30's all night.
Dad couldn't remember the exact mph, but was thinking it was like 104.
Car was nearly new, bone stock.
Later on with tuning,better shifter, etc. He got the car down into the 13.00's, but never cracked into the 12's.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Some good info/stories there. Thanks for sharing everyone. I just knew the 409's were capable of more then I previously read, Carmine.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I have been racing at the annual Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags every September in Stanton Michigan for 20 years.
One of our regulars is a guy named Charlie Lombardi of Providence Rhode Island( He is the mayor actually)
Charlie runs a very low mile original paint 63 SS409-425.
Charlies car ran very low 13's bone stock, and after building a new engine to NHRA blueprint legal specs(which is allowed in our rules), he has had the big Impala down the 1/4 in the 12.70's and 12.80's, and this is through manifolds, full 2 1/2 inch exhaust and on reproduction G70-14 Firestone Wide Oval bias plys.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom.....please tell Charlie Howdy for me!!!! I miss our phone calls!!! His dad has a 63 409 also. Charlie and Denny Ford are good friends too!!! Had a lot of phone calls with Charlie but never had the chance to meet in person.
First class guy!!!!!!!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Image below is from Eastern Competitors News listing winners at different tracks around the area. This is from April 12, 1964. Sorryo
for the poor reproduction. Notice the A/S and B/S class winners. Both 1962 Chevrolets which would have been factory rated at 409 h.p. for the A/S car and 380 h.p. for the B/S car. Now, the Lewis Drag team were serious racers! No where near the competitive status of Hayden, Dyno Don or Strickler but serious none the less. Notice the e.t./MPH of the B/S car is 12.78 at 112.21. On the other hand the A/S car of "Big Momma" was a daily street driven car. Although a 409/409, but a convertible so no where near the top of the weight break for the A/Stock class. Yet still recorded 13.41 at 104.52.
So, although the magazines may have only gotten high 14 second times getting into the low 13s and even high 12s was not uncommon for a competent mechanic. I don't know if NHRA allowed the improved parts in the olderA & B Stock cars or not but a lot of over the counter goodies were available back then.

View attachment 62807