1958 4 speed

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
GM Heritage does not list it as an option in 58 in the full size car. I think it was available in the Vette in 57.

Reactions: 327

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Amazingly, the production totals show 3,764 4-speeds in Corvettes, but only 4 are recorded for full-size cars. Sure doesn't sound like an available option, but 4 people got one.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It doesn't solve the riddle, but if I remember it correctly, the one and only (at least in the Midwest) "Mr. Four Speed" was Wayne Eupers from Richmond Missouri who ordered a new El Camino from the local Chevrolet dealer circa 1959 and specified the new B/W T-10 four speed. According to him, they were not able to provide the exact transmission so he settled for one with the three-on-the-tree and got the four speed in the "trunk". I remember seeing the El Camino when it had a BBC in it and was painted Black.
The vehicle had had several drive train variations over time. Originally a 283 three speed, he later ordered a crate 409/425, then an L-88 all in the El Camino :). RIP Wayne

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I researched this many years ago and built my 1958 Impala as a 315/348 4 speed. It was as close to original as I could make it. Sorry I had to sell it due to a divorce. Enclose it pictures of my research paper work including a updated 1958 parts book showing the floor shift boot parts for a 1958, an invoice from a dealer ship, and several letters that convinced me that the 4 speed was available to order from the factory late in the year.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 26
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 24

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I saw a 58 Impala with a factory 4 speed.

The guy had the cardboard box in the trunk for the transmission and the paperwork showing it came in the trunk. Box was obviously tired.
I need to dig thru photos, I took several including the box, etc.
the trans was installed and he shared with me the history. This was about 10-12 years ago.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw a 58 Impala with a factory 4 speed.

The guy had the cardboard box in the trunk for the transmission and the paperwork showing it came in the trunk. Box was obviously tired.
I need to dig thru photos, I took several including the box, etc.
the trans was installed and he shared with me the history. This was about 10-12 years ago.
What did he use for a shifter? I don't think Corvette will work in full size cars.

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
What did he use for a shifter? I don't think Corvette will work in full size cars.
Dog leg shifter was used but the longer corvette shift rods were used. So the shifter was farther back than the 60-64 cars. The bench seat needed to be adjusted nearly all the way back to avoid interference during shifting. A special trans mount adaptor was used to adapt the corvette single mount tail housing to the full size cross member. This set up was used in 1959 full size also.