1959-1963 cowl tags

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Don’t know if these are legible enough, here are two cowl tags. One is my 62 Impala black with red interior. One acc code looks to have been hit or flattened out?
Next is my 63 Bel Air blue with blue interior?
Thanks for posting Jim, the first is a tuxedo black Impala sport coupe built 3rd week May 62 at Baltimore with red bench seat interior, AC and tinted glass.
The second is an azure aqua Belair 2-door sedan built 1st week April 63 at Baltimore with aqua interior and a powerglide transmission.

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Those are not factory welds. Factory was 3 spot welds
Just because the clutch bracket is more than spot welded on does not mean the car was not originally a manual from the factory. Street and drag racers back in the day running high performance very stiff clutch plates often broke the spot welds loose and the bracket had to be re-attatched and reinforced to keep it from coming off during high RPM speed shifts.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just because the clutch bracket is more than spot welded on does not mean the car was not originally a manual from the factory. Street and drag racers back in the day running high performance very stiff clutch plates often broke the spot welds loose and the bracket had to be re-attatched and reinforced to keep it from coming off during high RPM speed shifts.

Definitely a true statement. I for one did exactly that.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for posting Jim, the first is a tuxedo black Impala sport coupe built 3rd week May 62 at Baltimore with red bench seat interior, AC and tinted glass.
The second is an azure aqua Belair 2-door sedan built 1st week April 63 at Baltimore with aqua interior and a powerglide transmission.
Thank you Carl. I wondered about the 62 having a/c. There is a patch welded on the upper passenger side of the firewall, but no other signs of the car having a/c. Someone must have removed all of the a/c components and replaced with non a/c system.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the information.
This car was never raced. Probably a conversion. If this had been resistance welded, I would think the three bumps would have collapsed. The gap kind of indicates they are not and it was added post production.

Reactions: 327

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Thank you Carl. I wondered about the 62 having a/c. There is a patch welded on the upper passenger side of the firewall, but no other signs of the car having a/c. Someone must have removed all of the a/c components and replaced with non a/c system.
Do you have a photo of that firewall Jim? Does the car still have the original engine? The engine stamp pad suffix code will also confirm if the car was originally fitted with AC.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I’ll get a photo of the firewall, but there was no engine in the car when I we got it.
Here’s the tag if my 63 Impala SS. I removed it to sand blast and restore the car.5E623D54-F82C-4F23-B47C-721F53990223.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That hole that is welded is a factory hole.
The firewall below the fan under the fender would also have to be welded shut to
fill the hole where the air conditioning evaporator was mounted.
Paul

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I’ll get a photo of the firewall, but there was no engine in the car when I we got it.
Here’s the tag if my 63 Impala SS. I removed it to sand blast and restore the car.
Thanks Jim, the firewall on the 62 confirms it was originally an AC car, as per the code on the cowl tag.
The 63 is a palomar red SS Impala sport coupe built 4th week May 63 at Baltimore with black bucket seat interior, tinted windshield, padded dash and a 4-speed. Nice.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Jim, the firewall on the 62 confirms it was originally an AC car, as per the code on the cowl tag.
The 63 is a palomar red SS Impala sport coupe built 4th week May 63 at Baltimore with black bucket seat interior, tinted windshield, padded dash and a 4-speed. Nice.
Thanks Carl. And it's supposed to be a 409 car also. Of course it didn't come with the engine though.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Definitely a true statement. I for one did exactly that.
Add me, to that list. :dohMy Scheifer Pressure Plate was so stiff, it not only broke the bracket off the frame, it wore a groove on the Clutch Rod, where it went in to the Clutch Pedal hole. The stiff Clutch Pedal, probably has a little to do, with the knee problems I'm now having, on my left Knee.:dunno2

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
:yup Lol, I had a Scheifer pressure plate in my 62 back in the day. I remember my leg trembling at a stop lights if I didn't put it in neutral, the clutch pedal was so hard to push down it actually broke the pedal off of the pivot tube where it was welded on and the clutch pedal fell down on the floor. After that I replaced it with a more normal clutch, I think it was a ZOOM clutch.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Here's the other photos of the car when I recorded them. I don't think it was a level air car, but it does have positraction, and maybe the LA code means that the body was to be shipped to LA for final assembly? Can you see any obvious options that OA might stand for?
I see that the car is a stick shift, what kind of engine does it have? code? Electric clock, code?, front fender antennae code?, spinner hubcap's code?

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Here's the other photos of the car when I recorded them. I don't think it was a level air car, but it does have positraction, and maybe the LA code means that the body was to be shipped to LA for final assembly? Can you see any obvious options that OA might stand for?
I am 99% sure that ALL Convertible bodies were assembled either in St. Louis or Flint Mi then shipped as a "body in white" to their final assembly plant to be completed. I know that is correct for 58 I am not sure about any other year. In 59 I believe same was true for convertible and El Camino and possibly sedan delivery bodies. I had multiple conversations with Verne over the years regarding my 58 Hardtop and will always be grateful that he shared with me tips and details about my car it is a factory AC PS PB 348 PG car. The trim tags were meant to call out things/modifications that had to be done at Fischer before the body went onto Chevrolet so I always keep that in mind when trying to understand some of these codes and knowing full well that not every plant followed the same protocols. The 930A paint code was for Silver Blue Poly which was a Duracryl ACRYLIC LACQUER so the LA might be correlated to that especially since its on the PAINT line of the tag instead of the ACC line. Cannot tell if the car had a power seat and I am not a convertible guy so not sure if the OA or LA might have to do with the power top as those two options would both required the electrical extension harnesses also. The body portion of the harness were installed at Fisher body so that might be a road worth going down.

Attachments

• 58 paint codes.jpg
    58 paint codes.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 327