1960 348 cu.in. engine

DENNISJR60

IN SHOW CARS INC THEY SELL READY TO ASSEMBLE 348 BLOCKS STARTING AT $900.

348 HEADS $400 EACH. (60-61) $200 EACH (59-60)

IN MY EXPERIENCES I HAVE SEEN READY TO GO 348'S GO ANYWHERE FROM $3,000 - $6,000.

ACCORDING TO NADA A 348 ENGINE ADDS 35% TO THE VALUE OF THE CAR IT CAME IN.

I'M SURE MANY PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN STEALS AS WELL SO IT ALL JUST DEPENDS.

REX EVANS

1960 348 cu.in.engine

This week I bought this exact engine in LA, 348 4barrel with 3 speed box absolutely complete fan to yoke new starter & hoses out of a 1960 impala $1200.00 this included a cheap freight deal to New Zealand. couldn't test run so am expecting the worst but hoping for a good runner for a while. Since the previous owner fitted a new starter & hoses would you bother if it was dead.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rick you got a steal if it is a running engine. I have a 348 with a tripower manifold and no carbs that I wouldn't part with for twice that. And no I'm not wanting to sell it. :p Roy

REX EVANS

1960 348 CU.IN.ENGINE

GLAD TO HERE THAT ROY. IT'S ALWAYS A WORRY SHOPPING FROM SO FAR AWAY IT REALLY CUTS DOWN OUR OPTIONS. WHEN I BOUGHT MY 58 IMPALA IN NEW MEXICO IN 89 THE ORIGINAL 348 WAS OUT OF THE CAR LYING BESIDE IT. SO WE LEFT IT THERE AND FITTED A 350 SB DUMB, STUPID STUPID STUPID NOW I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT IT COSTING ME 10 TIMES THE DOLLARS TO PUT IT RIGHT

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I recently picked up a 1958 348 tripower motor at a junkyard
needing a rebuild, complete except carbs and air cleaner.
$350.00
I also know where I could probably get six more 348 blocks $200.00 each.
Car blocks (not truck).

Attachments

• 58.348tri_2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 284
As droptop said:cool:

These engines are NOT thousands and thousands of dollars... at least I can't get people to pay it:cuss !
Typical 348 ( 250-280 HP ) engine for rebuilding.... $200-$600.
I would NEVER pay more than that.

Here's a picture of the 60 wagon as I found it in a farm yard. Just rolled it out yesterday. Yup, those would be rust free rockers !
Factory 348 250HP, PS, PB... and posi.
1/2 day's tinkering, and I can drive it home...
$400

bobs409

Administrator
Deals like that are far and few in between in most areas. You guys that can buy $200 dollar engines and $400 dollar cars should snatch up every one you can. Wait a few years and you can make a killing on resale.

And lastly...I must be in the wrong state! Im jealous of these great finds.

Aubrey; bring the hood from that 60 wagon to the Carlisle, Pa. swap meet and you can probably get your $400 back! That's the way prices are around here because the supply has dried up long ago. Bring the whole wagon and probably get $6,000! (im not kidding either) I've seen worse vehicles with prices like that. I saw a 60 El Camino with no glass, brush painted (over cancer), half a 348 under the hood and I think it had a price tag of close to 6K!!!

DENNISJR60

LET'S TAKE A 1960 IMPALA CONVERTABLE:

BASE PRICE: $11,850 (LOW RETAIL)
$23,300 (AVERAGE RETAIL)
$33,900 (HIGH REATAIL)

348 V8 ENGINE ADD 35% $15,998 (LOW RETAIL)
$31,455 (AVERAGE RETAIL)
$45,765 (HIGH RETAIL)

SEEMS TO ME THESE MOTORS HAVE JUST A LITTLE BIT OF VALUE.
MAYBE JUST MAYBE A SLIGHT BIT MORE THAN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS.:rolleyes:

35 % on a 348 car ?.... I have one.... I wish !
NOBODY holds a stronger value on an original big block car than me...
to me, engine is everything:cool:
$200 may be low.... but $1200 for a 348 core is WAY too much.
I have three.... anybody want to pay me even $900 each ?
I didn't think so :rolleyes: !

Bob, I have a flawless, primed 60 hood on another car, with the rest of the body work almost done. Had it on eBay....
got bid to $107 :cuss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobs409

Administrator
Well, 2 things about that hood would scare me off. First, a primered body panel can hide alot of problems and raises a red flag with me everytime. 2nd, I can't say much about ebay but I would think the shipping is keeping anyone from buying with that method. Shipping a hood will cost big bucks in addition to the price. The fact that it's on ebay isn't helping either. Too many bad deals go on there so people tend to be over cautious and you can't see the part in person.

Take your parts to swap meets in areas where the supply has dried up and see what happens. It's all supply and demand. The fact that you guys are able to find these great deals/prices in your areas tells me that is why you can't sell for big bucks. Your in a good area to buy but not sell. (that's how you get the stuff so cheap)

In the western states, they are tripping over the rust free fenders while here on the eastern side, we don't know what rust free is and they sell for big dollars. I've been looking for a hood for my '63 Impala for years now and sure, I found a few at the swap meets but prices start at $450!!! Fenders start at $150 (I managed to actually buy one of them-now looking for a companion for the other side) ;)

In short, enjoy it while you can. It won't last forever. We haven't seen deals like that here for a very long time. I couldn't tell you that last time I saw a 1960 anything around good or bad. (except shows but I bet even them are from out of state) The only thing around here is minivans and SUV's. God help me! :(

If I had the chance, I'd horde all I could at those prices. When the supply has dried up, you'll be worshipped! LOL :D

DENNISJR60

BOBS409,

I GUESS WE'RE NOT SO LUCKY. LAST 348 THAT SOLD DOWN HERE THAT I'M AWARE OF WENT FOR $3,500 AND THAT'S NOT FOR A MOTOR THAT LOOKS ANYTHING LIKE THE ONE'S IN ALL OF YOUR PICTURES IT WAS MINT. TRY GETTING THAT STUFF HERE IN VEGAS FOR THOSE PRICES! BECAUSE I'LL BET YOU CAN'T. JUST TRY FINDING THE STUFF PERIOD.

I'M NOT TRYING TO KNOCK YOU GUY'S, BUT YOUR TIME WILL COME WHEN THOSE PRICES ARE LONG GONE.
SINCE THE MOTORS ARE SO CHEAP WILL ANYONE SELL ME SOME PERFECT, AND I MEAN PERFECT 348 VALVE COVERS FOR SAY.....................$10? I DIDN'T THINK SO. LOL:)

Travis

Wow. And to think I have complete rust-free sheetmetal for two 60 Chevrolets and one of them has a perfect grille, etc... I need to ship this cr@p back east!!

Travis

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I think you guys are going about this stuff all wrong.
If you wait for someone to advertise the stuff, it will have a price tag on it.
Usually a high price tag.
I find most of my stuff by being out there looking, and talking to people.
$200.00 is not low, it is a reallity, I was offered 6 of these 348 motors at that price. I am with CPG on this one, wouldn't pay more than $600.00 for a rebuilder
(a little more for a tripower motor Complete with carbs and air cleaner)
(a whole lot less for a truck motor)

DENNISJR60

THANKS FOR PROVING OUR POINT. WE DON'T HAVE THOSE OPTIONS HERE THAT YOU HAVE THERE. THAT'S WHAT WE'RE SAYING TO ALL OF YOU. LIKE I SAID BEFORE.......TRY DOING THAT HERE, BECAUSE IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

bobs409

Administrator
Exactly. Here where I live, there are no 348's or anything else for that matter. When something does turn up, it fetches big bucks. The Carlisle, Pa. swap meet has mostly out of state people selling parts. They know they can get big bucks here because we have no good parts. Probably mostly due to the road salt/cinders used in winter.

Im just telling it the way it is. It's been like this for a long time around here. Sooner or later, it will be that way everywhere. Don't think these deals will always be around. That's why I say to buy it up if you can at those prices. I know I would.

I bought my 409 20 years ago. There hasn't been another around since then! Not even parts. It's amazing that I found the one I have.

REX EVANS

i,M STILL HAPPY, GENERATOR, NEW STARTER MOTOR, FREIGHT 10000 MILES STRAIGHT TO MY DOOR AND I'VE ALREADY GOT A BUYER FOR THE FLYWHEEL,CLUTCH DISC & PLATE, HOUSING & BOX. BUT IT SURE IS HARD LISTEN TO YOU GUYS WHO LIVE IN AREAS THAT HAVENT BEEN FULLY PICKED OVER YET. BUT LUCKY FOR ME IF I LIVED THERE I WOULD BE DRAGGING SO MANY GOOD BUYS HOME THE WIFE WOULD DIVORCE ME AND THAT WOULD COST A LOT MORE THAN A POSSIBLE DEAD MOTOR ,CHEERS

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
MAN,,,I`m taking all my stuff to Vagas and selling !!! LOL !! Then gonna retire !! ,,,dq