1960 Pontiac Ventura

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dan that pic of the 59 Pontiac convertable I sent a while back had 8 lug wheels , were they replaced with 60 wheels?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
Here are the pictures of the two early style wheels. The one with the reinforced lug tangs is correct for a 60 Pontiac and an early 61. The other wheel has the smooth tangs with no reinforcement. The change was made sometime in the spring of 61.
Of course they both mount on the short fin drum. These were used until 63, I think they changed to the long fin drum in 64

Attachments

• 20150908_192529.jpg
    20150908_192529.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20150911_165537.jpg
    20150911_165537.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
Here are the pictures of the two early style wheels. The one with the reinforced lug tangs is correct for a 60 Pontiac and an early 61. The other wheel has the smooth tangs with no reinforcement. The change was made sometime in the spring of 61.
Of course they both mount on the short fin drum. These were used until 63, I think they changed to the long fin drum in 64
Tommy, So it's the wheel that is different not the drum. I always thought it was the drum.
Thanks for posting that information.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan that pic of the 59 Pontiac convertable I sent a while back had 8 lug wheels , were they replaced with 60 wheels?
I can't tell from the pic what wheel was on that car, only that they are 8-lugs and 60 was the first year for the 8-lug wheels.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Great Tommy, I would like to see the other wheels so I can see the difference. I did know that 60 was the first year for the 8-lugs and they were different then the later years but did not know the difference.

Excellent work! Inspiring actually....
Haven't had time to read the entire thread yet....are you looking for wheels? If so, there some for sale locally according to this CL ad
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/5216984433.html

Let me know if you would like me to look at them for you. Might only be one wheel available though...??

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Greg, thanks for the comlement and the offer to look at the wheels but I am not looking for wheels right now.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Greg, thanks for the comlement and the offer to look at the wheels but I am not looking for wheels right now.

Okay. Keep me in mind if you need anything that I might be able to help with. I am in the Phoenix area so I could check out whatever you might find available out my way. I know of a 421SD complete engine for sale.....that could be pretty cool. :).

We both are working on Pontiac projects right now. :)
Mine is a 1968 GTO Ram Air II convertible. I am pretty close to collecting most all of the engine specific parts that I need so I will be starting the resto soon.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay. Keep me in mind if you need anything that I might be able to help with. I am in the Phoenix area so I could check out whatever you might find available out my way. I know of a 421SD complete engine for sale.....that could be pretty cool. :).

We both are working on Pontiac projects right now. :)
Mine is a 1968 GTO Ram Air II convertible. I am pretty close to collecting most all of the engine specific parts that I need so I will be starting the resto soon.
Greg,
The one thing that I am looking for is a fan shroud for 59-60 Pontiac. From what I understand only the AC cars came with a fan shroud.
Thanks Dan

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Greg,
The one thing that I am looking for is a fan shroud for 59-60 Pontiac. From what I understand only the AC cars came with a fan shroud.
Thanks Dan

Okay. I am going to head to the salvage yard soon. I know there are several Pontiacs there. What models have the item you need?