1961 Aluminum radiator

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't know about a $115.00 radiator, but I don't think you have to spend $600.00 for one either. Personally, I think those Griffin, Be Cool, Dessert Cooler, Cold Case, etc. are all over priced. I admittedly bought a Cold Case because I didn't do my research, so I can't complain there. Previously, I bought 2 aluminum radiators, 2- 1" rows, from Auto City Classic for my 409 and 348/434 gasser. Think I paid in the area of $225.00 for each and the oldest one, at 5 years, is still working fine. As I mentioned in another thread, jus have to compare apples to apples, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK.....Thanks for everybody's input.

I pulled the trigger on a 3 row (welded tube) with the square tank......$115 shipped.

I like the one with rounded top tank.....and can see that one going into one of my other cars...

Will report back once it's installed....and running..

Just curious what paint can be used ....on tanks and mounting brackets?

Post a link to where you bought it, I want to keep it book marked for when I need another.

MoboMac

Well Known Member
While we are discussing radiators.......What are the pro's and cons on paint?

I'm probably going to paint the tanks and side brackets.....to protect from corrosion............but thinking the core area s/b left naked?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You won't have any corrosion problems with alum. The reason I paint black sometimes is for a stock look. Black actually cools better then shiny alum but it's not a critical amount. However you don't want to paint so thick that it becomes an insulator.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You won't have any corrosion problems with alum. The reason I paint black sometimes is for a stock look. Black actually cools better then shiny alum but it's not a critical amount. However you don't want to paint so thick that it becomes an insulator.
My gasser radiator I left unpainted. My 409 radiator I gave a light coat of black paint for looks. My '71 GTO radiator I left unpainted. Guess I'm a little unstable in the radiator painting dept. , :laughing:laughingCarmine.