1961 Bel Air family project

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Looks good Greg,
What did you use to clean up the frame?

Steve

PS 1 vote for the 61 wheel

I am leaning towards the '61 wheel as well....hopefully I can restore the horn cap.

I used a wire wheel on a 4" angle grinder....cleaned it pretty quick. Back when I started this project, I had the car and front frame blasted with alum oxide so the frame was fairly clean already....I just needed to spend a little time scraping off some gunk in the hard to blast areas. I wired wheeled the center section of the frame when I had the floor out....did the rear section when I replaced the trunk section so now the only part that needs some work is the rear axle area. My plan is to get the car running so we can enjoy it before summer hits again. Then I'll probably make a weekend project to drop the axle and restore that area. (provided I can talk our dad into giving up the car for a weekend....:) )

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
We found some time after the holiday to get a little more work done on the front end. I replaced the bushings, ball joints and tie rods and reinstalled them on the car. Next item to install is the brake lines and then I can drop the engine/trans back in the car. I couldn't get the nut threaded onto the sway bar bushing end links so I set them aside for now. Hopefully the weight of the engine will settle the suspension enough so I can get the sway bar hardware in place. If not, then I'll have to come up with some other solution to draw them together.
2014-12-30 16.40.52.jpg 2014-12-30 16.41.04.jpg 2014-12-30 16.41.13.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks great. If you decide you want to install those before the engine is in, you can get a few innocent bystanders to step up on the frame rails for a minute while you put them on. I believe that would do it.

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
Greg, Excellent work !! Been there done that.. It has been 4 yrs. and just finished up the interior yesterday on our 61 Belair 2dr ht.
I'll leave a post in a few minutes..

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Greg, Excellent work !! Been there done that.. It has been 4 yrs. and just finished up the interior yesterday on our 61 Belair 2dr ht.
I'll leave a post in a few minutes..

I just saw your thread. Interior looks great! I hope you have a great time driving and enjoying your car. Well done to you also. :)

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Greg, Things are looking really awesome, You are inching ever closer to a maiden curz. Good on ya.

Gav

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Installed new master cylinder and brake lines....I had already replaced the wheel cylinders, shoes, springs and drums prior to disassembling the car so that stuff was still in perfect shape. Filled with fluid and checked for leaks....found some, fixed and then bled the system to verify it works properly. Brakes feel nice and solid now so I am happy about that. The brass distribution blocks by the upper control arms are specific to the left or right side of the car....I didn't realize that at first and of course I installed them in the opposite locations but that was a quick fix. :)

I also couldn't remember if the right forward brake line went over or under the 3/8" fuel line so I had to check back through the photos I've been taking along the way. Luckily I found a clear shot showing the brake line routes over the fuel line which of course makes sense now that I think about it. Funny how little things like that can stump me at times...:)

I decided I wanted to install as much as possible before the engine/trans goes back in so I installed the windshield wiper system and cowl cover. Also installed the dash speaker, routed the antenna cable and mounted the radio. I forgot to detail the heater box under the dash so I worked on that to finish up my day. I'll probably assemble that sometime during the week and slap it in there when I get a moment. After that I guess the only items left are the parking brake pedal assembly, cable and the steering box. Then I guess the engine and trans can go in. Seems like I am missing something....oh well, I guess I'll figure it out once I get to it.

I do have a question for anyone who can help...
It looks like there was some sort of plastic grill register on the heater box at the opening that faces the floor. All that was left of ours was some little tiny pieces secured by the 1/4" hex screws. Does anyone know what goes there and where I can get a replacement? (Thanks).

2015-01-04 12.16.38.jpg

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hear you. That's why I also take a lot of photos during disassembly as well as label and bag parts, wiring harnesses etc. My sons used to make fun of me for being so anal but they understood why I do what I do when we are putting a car back together a year or more later!

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
I expected the engine/trans installation to be a walk in the park but it fought me the entire way. My son and I lifted the engine off the stand to install the clutch and the new pressure plate that I ordered didn't fit. So, it was off to one auto parts store after another until I finally found the correct parts. Then we assembled the clutch and installed the bell housing and then discovered I forgot to install the clutch fork....so off comes the bell housing and we do it again. We then get the transmission bolted up and my son reaches down into the box and grabs the throw out bearing and says "Where does this go?" So, off comes the transmission and we do it all over again.

Eventually we got it all assembled properly and went to put it in the car and it was a tight squeeze. I figured we would have tons of clearance but the passenger side valve cover was touching the firewall and we couldn't get the engine back far enough. After fighting it for a while we asked my wife for an extra set of hands and it went in much smoother. I guess we needed a woman's touch......

Then my son and I struggled with the engine mount bolts for a while. We got them installed but there wasn't enough threads sticking out the other side to get the nut started. Eventually we figured out the bolts weren't long enough. I guess the new motor mounts were slightly wider than the OE mounts and the bolts didn't reach. We found some longer bolts that were grade 8 and it worked much better.

Then installing the driveshaft was a chore but I took a break and returned to it later with a fresh head and it went much better. I guess I was having one of those weekends. :)

On the bright side, the shift linkage appears to fit real nice so I am happy about that. I think I'll get the steering column assembled and put that in next.
Here are some pics.
01 engine trans.jpg 02 Bellhousing.jpg 03 engine installed.jpg 04 engine RH side.jpg

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like how things go for me, only difference is there is only one parts store in town and if I need something they don't have I have to travel 35 miles one way to get it. :pout

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
We fired up the engine today. Sounds nice. My brand new radiator sprung a leak so I had to pull it out so I can have it repaired.....bummer. My new fan clutch that I ordered from Ecklers didn't fit....the mounting pad was too large to fit through the hole in the fan so I had to bolt on the original fan clutch until I can find the correct part. Dealing with aftermarket parts takes a lot of time....a lot of stuff doesn't quite fit right and I have to modify it to fit. Those original style radiator hose clamps are cool looking but they wouldn't fit over the lower hose at the water pump end so I ended up just going with worm screw clamps....at least I know they won't leak. I am pleased with how the exhaust sounds. The car had glass pack mufflers on it before and it sounded a bit aggressive. The new mufflers that came with the exhaust system sound a lot better in my opinion. The entire neighborhood came over when we started it up. It was pretty cool. Here are some pics.

I didn't feel like messing with the staples that were used to attach the dust shields to the inner fenders so I cut them out and used pop rivets to secure the new pieces. I am not sure how the flap is supposed to go so I tucked it in towards the ball joint....seems to work that way. Is that correct? The photo I have shows how it looked before I tucked it back into the wheel well.

Oh yeah, the exhaust hanger kit was missing two U clamps and the 4 bolt/nuts for the strap clamps at the rear of the car.....par for the course, so I went to the hardware store and got what I needed. The fuel line from the pump to the carb wasn't even close to the correct shape and it was too short to bend the correct way... so I just cleaned up the one I had....I'll try and find another fuel line, maybe.

Next on the list is to adjust the shift linkage on the column so it works smoothly and retorque a few things here and there. Then when I get the radiator repaired and re-installed then I'll probably finish up the front grill and mount the hood. Then I'll probably convert the ignition to electronic....I wanted to make sure the car started before I modify the ignition. How are you guys getting 12v to the distributor? It looks like the OE wire has a resistor in it so I don't think that will work with the electronic kits.....or will it? ????

01 gen clutch linkage.jpg 02 RH engine.jpg 03 inner fenders.jpg 05 LH all full body.jpg 06 RH full body.jpg 07 LH front view.jpg 08 RH front view.jpg 09 engine bay radiator.jpg

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Your almost there...:clap:clap:clap
We are getting sooooo close! My daughter and I went for a Sunday drive today.....it really was just a few laps around the block to shake things down and check the clutch, brakes, steering etc. We would go around the block once or twice and then back the car up into our driveway to make whatever adjustments I needed and then try it again. I had to adjust the clutch twice but now I think it's where it needs to be. The column shifter worked perfectly (to my surprise...), the brakes are a bit spongy so I'll probably need to bleed them again. Parking brake works great. Brake lights didn't work. I'll have to check the brake pedal switch or maybe the connection at the turn signal switch....I may not have connected it properly. I'll have to check it out and see what is going on there. Overall...a pretty productive weekend. I'll go ahead and mount the bumpers and headlights and finish the grill work. We are getting real excited to present the car to our dad....should be a great time. :)

My daughter was fascinated with the column shifter. She learned to drive manual trans but they all were floor shifters....the column shifter was something she hadn't seen before. It is kinda nostalgic. 3 speeds is enough for this engine....seems to do well. We aren't going to hot rod the car so the column shift will be just fine with us. I can't believe how different the car looks now compared to when we started. :)
01 Taylors first ride.jpg 02 Taylors first ride.jpg 03 Test ride with dad.jpg 04 backing up.jpg 05 Sunday cruise.jpg