1962 Biscayne project

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just a little update on the engine. Tom has dropped the line more than twice about we need to install the M/T power ram intake, well me not to be the one to disappoint I have picked it up. :flag
The CC roller tip rockers won't clear the valve springs :irk so Tom picked up some Scorpion's. :good
If I can get over this head cold:sick2, I will make the trip to the shop and test out the new parts. :pray

This sounds like it could be fun and interesting challenge, the first will a pair of carburetors it seem that all the pairs we have are to big being it's going to be a street car, bet this will turn some heads. :D

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So, been looking at this intake and it is basically two intakes, on for each side cast into one.
I see that tuning this will be like tuning two 4 cylinders engines hooked to the same crank.
With this engine just being a bored 409 I have two 200+ inch 4 cylinders, so carburetors shouldn't need to be very large in my thinking.
Going through my stash, I have two 390 cfm Holley,s one complete and one just the body.
In my carburetor shopping I found these 450 vacuum secondary Quick Fuel 4 barrels that could be the ticket.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/quick_fuel/slayer_series/parts/SL-450-VSTRR
I also have two 600 vacuum secondary carburetors, but would take at least 450 bucks to fix them, not sure that is cost effective and maybe on the too big for this engine. All the AFB carburetors I can get my hands on are 750s.
20190301_181224 (2).jpg
Thinking some shear plates under the carburetors to help with the reversion and with the 450s I can tie the secondary diaphragms together so they open together.
This could be fun.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm interested in learning what others are thinking on this one :).

Here's a set of Holleys I spotted on Ebay that are 450 cfm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Car...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Not sure if those are viable options as starter carbs.

I have a matched pair of 600 cfm Holleys on that SBC crossram, but that might be too much carb for this close-to-stock build.

I also have a matched pair of vintage Carter 3361/3362s that are 500 cfm.

Both sets would need to be rebuilt.

This M/T intake is providing a new learning experience for sure!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I am clearing out the lower level this weekend to make room for her arrival :) :) :).

We might just mock up the bell housing and trans for now. Need to get the flywheel turned, etc.

Getting that weight in place will help when I compress the springs and take the rest of the front suspension apart :).

Woo hoo!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It's a fairly stock W build. Truck block with stock crank, KB-Ikon forged pistons in BBC rods. Heads are 583s that sat atop my SS car for 12,000 miles (and now freshened up by James). The M/T cross ram was just to be different. James reminded me we had a spare 1962 hood that could be cut up to allow a fresh breath of air for whatever carb choice we make :).