1962 Bubbletop old school look not valuable

wmotor

Learned the hard way if your going to do a frame-off resto start with a bling bling approach and double your dollars at sale time. The original, or American Graffiti look is apparently "old school" or out dated. The big bucks (most likely from high paying sports stars and rappers) are bringing bank when you go to sell it. Sad.

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
I'm not sure I agree, but go on, and explain in a little more detail. And welcome to the forum.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Restoration Blues?

Sounds like you've got a bad case of the "restoration blues", where you put your heart and soul into a highly detailed factory restification and keep track of your time and talent, expecting to get a "return on your investment".

I might be reading your situation incorrectly, but it is a challenge to do a proper frame off restoration, spend 1200 hours (that's what I counted), and expect to make a profit.

I'll be interested to learn what your specific situation is. Are you the fella with a Black over Red '62 Belair sport coupe with the 409 that we saw on Ebay recently?

Cheers,
TomK

wmotor

Yes, I am. The specific fact is that the Black / Red bling bling car is at 65K with a reserve of 100K. My black / red car never reached over 44K. Not that I ever got into the restroation to make money - I have over 15 years and over 44K invested in it, but just for discussion, are 20 inch wheels and a crate motor with hydraulic suspension worth 40 thousand more dollars? Apparently so. Unless, and no way to prove it, but must be questioned - is whether the bids placed are for real.

I just think you restore the way you want it to be and that's what I did - however, will never understand that the easy way of a crate motor and some oversize chrome wheels would cause a car to be worth 40 thousand more $$$.

That's all.

For the record, wmotor ( well, MY record anyhow;) )
20 inch wheels are SO #$&%ING UGLY, that a civilized written opinion is not possible:scratch

Your car is just plain RIGHT:deal :beerbang
Recognition and praise should be given to a person with fine tastes.

Conversely, appropriate comments should be made in response to someone who makes it so PAINFULLY obvious that even their money couldn't overcome their bad tastes.

just my humble opinion;)
:roll

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I just think you restore the way you want it to be and that's what I did -

And a beauty!

Done right!

I hate over done (20 inchers, 454 crates, wild colors, etc) any car myself.

Look at Tom K's 62 Impala. Very tastefully done. Matter of fact nearly every member here car (this site) is a work in perfection.

There's only one members car here that isn't and he know's who he is.

Post more pics of yours!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For the record, wmotor ( well, MY record anyhow;) )
20 inch wheels are SO #$&%ING UGLY, that a civilized written opinion is not possible:scratch

Your car is just plain RIGHT:deal :beerbang
Recognition and praise should be given to a person with fine tastes.

Conversely, appropriate comments should be made in response to someone who makes it so PAINFULLY obvious that even their money couldn't overcome their bad tastes.

just my humble opinion;)
:roll

Yeah, what Aubrey said ! Your car looks beautiful. I think everyone here at this board would agree.
I know a of a local guy that had a 62 Bel-Air Bubbletop for years, 09 4-speed,
claimed to of got tired of 09's, and sold the car for a reported 72K.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your car looks great!!! You did the car the correct way. I don't know if E-Bay is the way to get the best price.Even if you would have gotten a $100,000 bid,try to get the winner to pay.I think 60 percent of the car winners are either scam artists,deadbeats or just wanna be's who like to roll up prices to get the listers to pay higher fees.If you want to sell that car take it to one of the better auctions.If the car is as nice as it looks,it will fetch you a nice price. Forget the 20's and the hydralics,the people that have a interest in buying that car don't want that crap on it anyway!!!!! Go the way you are. John

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like them stock with dog dish, most people who have the crate motor don't know what a W motor is.

Some of the paint and the amount of work done I can admire, but I don't want one.

Don

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Yes, I am. The specific fact is that the Black / Red bling bling car is at 65K with a reserve of 100K. My black / red car never reached over 44K...

Don't sweat it; the car currently on eBay won't reach $100k. The "pro-touring" look is what's hot right now, and that's what people are willing to pay for. If you're bitter about it, spend a few thousand dollars for a set of billet wheels and air suspension and stick it back on eBay with a Buy-it-now of $110k. This sort of thing happens all the time to every type of guy with every sort of car (the "bling bling" ones, included). It's part of the "game" and you've got to learn how to not let your panties get in a bunch over it.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
most people who have the crate motor don't know what a W motor is. Don

Your car looks great just the way it is.:clap The car on eBay will never reach the buy it now price. I think most of the bidders are just that, bidders. Knowing that they are never going to make the reserve. I personally do like the look of that car but with out the 19" & 20" wheels and I am not a big fan of the air ride. The 502 is a great motor but, that car would be much nicer with a 409. Just my 2 cents.

4kops

That black car on Ebay I think looks really good. I talked to him seemed to be very nice. He said Borris had that a number of years ago. To each is their own some like the por-touring, some like the por-street, and some like the stock look. Everyone has their own taste. Personally I am doing a 57 2dr sedan and a 62 bubbletop right now both will be pro-touring 57 will be powered by a 572 twin turbo and I think the 62 will have a 502. 57 also has art morrison chassis and the 62 will be on air. I think if your going to do a restro the correct way back to factory and do it right you are going to have to find "MR RIGHT" to buy it. I just do the cars for fun.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice effort, even though...

I've seen your Black over Red '62 advertised a few times now, and I think we even talked a while back when you had an OEM '62 coupe door I missed out on :).

Your build is really, really nice, and many of us appreciate the effort you've gone through to put it back in near original condition. I know I do!

My guess is that Ebay might not be the right venue for this type of build. I think you mentioned "putting it on the floor" at one of the larger muscle car places in St. Louis. My buddy did that after several unsuccessful attempts via Ebay, and they attracted a buyer within a few months. Hopefully that will happen for you!

I wish I had the gumption to zip over there and the financial muscle to write you a check, but I'll most likely do it the hard way, starting from scratch with my crusty '62 BA sport coupe :). In the end, I'll probably spend more than $44K, but I'll have a lot of fun doing so!

Good luck with your '62, we're glad you've brought that one "back to the living" so to speak, even if someone else will be enjoying it!

Best,
TomK

P.S. I have a birthday coming up in January...
Columbia, MO

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
.If you want to sell that car take it to one of the better auctions.

I think this is the right answer !!
Your car is BEAUTIFUL and I would say admired by many more car lovers then the over priced s*it for brains butt licker hydraulic blingabaiter cars !!!
Thats a Barrett Jackson car if i ever seen one !!!:clap

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Wmotor,
Let me put my two cents in.....most everyone on this forum knows that I like'm like they came from the factory so here's the way I look at this. I think that you should consider that the modified car cost much more to do. A lot of the restoration costs are the same on a stock car as they are on the modified car until you get to the chrome, the paint and interior. For example; a Cars Inc. interior kit for a '61 Impala runs about $1900, if you replace everything including door and window cranks etc and pay a shop to install it, you'll have about 5 grand in the interior of a stock restoration. The modified car with it's leather interior will be 3 times this much. The chrome under the hood will run the costs way up over the stock restoration along with most people in the modified camp will do some kind of funny paint job and that costs a bunch.
Then, if you compare the cost of the modified verses the stock car just after you complete them, the modified car has cost way more and right now they are worth more. Now, next year the same group of people who this year are drowling over the modified car that you just finished will thumb their nose at it cause that 15K leather interior is no longer in style. So now, you've got to spend another 15K to update the interior and the wheels that were so popular last year are now out of style and you need to spend money for the latest set of wheels. It's a never ending thing to keep a high dollar modified car current.
Meanwhile back at my place, my stock restoration that was finished last year is still worth what it was and nothing needs to be changed nor will anything ever need to be changed. You just wipe it down now and then.
I know that what I've said is true because I have stock cars and I have freinds that have the high dollar mods and see them having to update their cars every year if they want to continue to be winners at the shows.
The modified cars will be higher at times (as they are now)and lower at times but I believe there will always be a market for correctly restored documented high performance car and that market will remain fairly stable.
Just hang in there and market the car properly and you'll be ok.