1962 Impala Experts Check out this car (Phil, Tommy)?

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
There is a guy over on the Chevelle site asking about a 1962 Impala.
This car has some RARE options and also appears to have a lot of add-ons.
Factory cruise control, Tilt, A/C, There is an item on the dash that looks like one of those auto dimming ?????, power windows, vinyl top, looks like somebody added power locks and wing windows. Somebody needs to help this guy figure this car out.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295682

Here is the photo album he has posted on the car. http://rides.webshots.com/album/292793599CkIKSt

I figure Phil and Tommy and the guys here are the best authority figures on knowing what is correct on this car.

:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is that dash factory ??????

............. maybe I don't get out much.....:dunno

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you notice that the gauges on the bottom of the dash look like Pontiac? :dunno Also Pontiac had the 3 & 4 speed auto tranys. I wonder if it could be Canadian? It does appear to be a 4-door.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Very interesting. The VIN tag says GM OF CANADA and is riveted. I don't know if Canada riveted VIN tags normally, but CKD Bloomfield tags were riveted.

If it is just a custom car, it was done in a very factory way. I would think it more likely that this was a GM styling concept car or built for some exec. The 3 speed could be a hydramatic from a Pontiac, and for a Canadian built car might not be so unusual. I believe all the options were available on other GM vehicles, so installing them on a chevy wouldn't be that difficult. The really unique features are the lower instrument panel guages and the slider controls above the radio.

If it were just a custom job, I would expect after market engine mods and equipment. Everything under the hood looks factory although the valve covers look like 283 and not 327.

:scratch
:cool::cool::cool:

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dan, I'm no expert but I've never seen a dash like that up here..... or anywhere for that matter.

Dave

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I wonder if it could be Canadian?

I raised the question on being a Canadian Built Chevrolet. He believes it was built in the U.S.
I could not see enough of the car, what makes you think it is a four door? I can't tell from the pictures.

Lots of odd things going on with that car.

:dunno

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Very interesting. The VIN tag says GM OF CANADA and is riveted. I don't know if Canada riveted VIN tags normally, but CKD Bloomfield tags were riveted.

Good eye Cecil, I didn't see that.
Definitely a unusual car.

The asking price on the car is $16000.00.
don't know if that is Canadian or U.S.
What is a car like that worth??

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 impala

It does have alot of interesting options, I have never seen a 62 modified like this one.

Some of what I see just to note:

Rear antenna not factory
no factory tilt wheel in 62
no factory vinyl top in 62
no power vent windows in 62 chevy's
Dash has been heavily modified, and has many non factory items
Lower dash gauges have been added (someone went to alot of trouble to modify this dash.
Rear window defogger is not a 62 unit(they where available as a factory unit - I have one on my red 62 HT)
Correct that only 2 speed PG came on 62 chevys.
fender mirror not 62 and mounted to far to front of fender

Items that look factory:

Engine could be original(has a 61 chevy fan shroud and incorrect valve covers for 327)
this could be a 350 motor??
Factory air looks correct
Cruise control is correct(I have a 61-62 NOS one to compare)
Power seat looks correct (looks like a bench seat - grab bar is SS bucket seat car only)
Power windows look correct
Headlite dimmer looks correct for 61 and 62
Padded dash is correct
Power brake looks correct, with a aftermarket master cylinder
GM of Canada can verify options on cars built there, with the serial number.

With all this said, someone went to alot of trouble to add options to this car, the basic options - 327, factory air, power brake, power windows, power seat, dimmer- all may have been original to this car.:scratch

The rust condition, paint condition, chrome(some is stainless some is anodized aluminum), all will determine the value, -wheels are rusty, engine compartment is ugly (not cleaned at all). $16,000 sounds steep for condition and non factory options.

If you want to tell this member to contact me, I can tell him what is factory on this 62, pvs409@aol.com
My web site(I have some of these options on my 62 chevy's):http://paulstensland.awardspace.com/

Paul Stensland
Sergeant Bluff, Iowa

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I raised the question on being a Canadian Built Chevrolet. He believes it was built in the U.S.
I could not see enough of the car, what makes you think it is a four door? I can't tell from the pictures.

Lots of odd things going on with that car.

If it were a 2-door it would only have 2-buttons for the locks. It has 4. Unless 2 of the buttons are for the wing windows?:dunno

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
It looks like the bottom gauges are strewert warner gauges
the one on the right of the steering wheel looks to be a vacume gauge?

the design on the ash trey looks to be a chrysler ?

jmo

roger

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
If it were a 2-door it would only have 2-buttons for the locks. It has 4. Unless 2 of the buttons are for the wing windows?:dunno

He has stated that it is a two door in one of his latest posts on the chevelle site.
I think that some of the power switches are not correct and have been added.

That is definitely a confusing car. :scratch

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Could be a Snow Back

It could be Canadain becauce my brother has a 65 Pontiac Parisiene Custom Sport,
2 door, buckets with a floor console unique to the Can Ponchos also some scripts and other iterior items not interchangable with U.S. models different roof line too.

Attachments

• 65 Small.jpg
    65 Small.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 55

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The options on Canadian 62's were the same as on US Chevies, maybe less available in some cases, not more. All the stuff you see must have been added at some point. Trim tag numbers would tell all? No Cdn Chevies got Pontiac trannies, it is the other way around, Cdn Pontiacs were x frames and had Chevy engines and trannies, so this one should have a powerglide.

So its a modified 62 Impala likely without the original motor and tranny, so what's that worth? $5-10,000 from what I see. Depends on condition. GM Canada would not have the options on a 62, I think that those records started in 64.

Tell your friend to read these posts and post the trim tag numbers here?
Don

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Though I am NO expert I am looking at from what I do know "Customs"
This looks to be a mid 75 - 80's custom someone put together by looking the guages and other items, foot pedal, side pipes, shag seat cover, et mags etc. I bet the top was covered as well :crazy
Interesting dash work! Take a magnet and see how much filler or firberglass was used:) Yup those are the Older SW gauges!
Cool barn find but no where near an optioned 62 but it was someones pimpen ride during the Carter administration:roll

crabman

Hi everyone, I am the fellow who is looking for info one the Impala. Just to get a couple things straight, the car is a 2 door coupe, bench seat, and though I was told it was a U.S. car, I myself can now see from the pic of the vin tag it was born here in the Great White North. I plan on going back this weekend to get more info, (engine pad, block casting if I can get it, and try to find out about that 3 speed tranny). The owner of this car is not much help as his memory has been very clouded by many yaers of substance abuse it would seem. I still will not be able to get under the car because of the small shed that it is in. The big door at the front of the car will not even open as the earth has grown up over the bottom of the door, and needs to be shovelled before the door wuold open. The owner said he is not interested in pulling the car out to get a better look unless I have cash in hand and are serious about buying it. I can understand this, as just getting out of bed seems to be a struggle for this guy.
What else should I look for? I have gotten G.M. documents before for my Chevelles, but someone said G.M. of Canada does not have record from '62. I know they didn't have them for my '57.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With the serial number, GM Canada will tell you the original colour inside and out, engine, model, auto or manual tranny, and original selling dealer and date and place built. I got that on my 62 Bel Air.

Get the trim tag numbers off the driver side firewall, they should agree with the GM info. GM does not have the options information on 63 and older and there may be a few on the trim tag.

In my opinion, this is a modified car, and the value is in the condition of the car, especially the frame and body/rust, how much bondo, chrome good, anything missing, that sort of thing. Check ebay to see what other 62 Impalas like this are selling for, then figure what this one is worth to you. That number may be less than what the current owner will accept?

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Don

65FO-OH-9

$ 5000. to $ 8000. tops... maybe

At first this car looked to be a Test Mule. The more I look at it --
seems like there is alot of 1965 parts on this car (tilt wheel & '65 SS brake pedal) -as well as alot of Pontiac items, that they wouldn't of hung on there in Canada!

When I was a kid, the next door neighbor had a '61 Impala & he got alot of
newer Pontiac ( '64, '65 & '66 ) parts out of the salvage yard & took all of it
& the car & told them to make it look like a Buick. The neighbor told my Dad
he wanted something that nobody else had. I think he was the Great Grand
Daddy of "Pimp my ride"!

Sorry, Even as a little kid I knew that Chevrolet + Pontiac doesn't = Buick.
It equals "Insult"...

I would rather find a low option 409 that needs work for 4 $ 16,000.00!

I can't comment on what I really think of the landlord & his 1 out of 45 remark.

:argue::doh

bg64ss409

I think GM claims complete records starting in 64, before that I believe, its hit and miss..
Whereabouts in Alberta you from crabman?
I am not in the market for anything, but it sure would be interesting to see this one...

Brett