1962 Impala SS side trim tape

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK so i complain about many repop parts...but this tape kit is AWESOME...it was only $28 free shipping on ebay and got it in the US mail in only 3 days, applied all 6 strips in only 90 minutes even with my one bad eye, and just couldn't be happier with the results compared to the price...i was going to cover it with a coat of rattle can clear but i am hesitant to do that thinking it will kill some of the reflectivity...will post more pixs when the panel clip kit arrives and i get them mounted on the car...

Attachments

• DSCF0771.JPG
    DSCF0771.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0772.JPG
    DSCF0772.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0773.JPG
    DSCF0773.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0774.JPG
    DSCF0774.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 75

denson1932

Well Known Member
Paul the tape is peal-off protective adhesive-backed vinyl...not the stick-on metal which is about $250, but i am very happy with the outcome...it was shipped rolled up and in a simple 2" X 3" envelope but luckily USPS treated it good....several times i wasn't doing a good job of laying it down between the lips so i would have to pull it back a ways..it was very strong adhesive and still the vinyl did not rip nor stretch....for your driver this is very good stuff! The reasons for the red satin paint: i am building a bubbletop Belair but don't have the excess funds for the correct pricey side trim...and i got this extra Impala trim which was pretty straight but quite tarnished so for now i think it will look kool....soo many great 90+ point cars out there perhaps some at car shows would like to see something different?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's good to know about the vinyl tape inserts.

Now that you already painted the trim and applied the insert tape this won't help. But I found it pretty easy, although time consuming to strip the anodize and polish aluminum side trim. Even dinged up/ tarnished trim looks nice after polishing.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Just wondering I have metal tape to install on some 62 NOS impala chrome for a 62 SS 409 convertible.
I have recommendation for the 3M tape to use and that was my question. The chrome should look very nice on your
bubble top.
Are you going to bring the bubble top to Automania in Brandon next year ? I should have my 62 SS 409 Convertible done.
Paul

denson1932

Well Known Member
Paul i also read that about the 3M tape for the metal inserts...but it must be a pain to trim the tape to match either the bottom of the metal tape or the molding recess; as it progresses in width....this vinyl with peel off tape was soo easy to apply....

If you haven't met Paul, he is the source for any 1962 and 409 questions! He helped me with his knowledge with at least a dozen of my questions and problems when i met him ,at the Brandon SD show this past summer....and for a sleepy little town, the Brandon, SD Automania is huge... with cars of all flavors. Hoping to have this bubble top there... maybe with the 283 for now if the 409 isn't built the winter.

Attachments

• DSCF0544.JPG
    DSCF0544.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Funny you mention this, I am working some trim parts for the '62 convert and have a good set of non-SS trim pieces (the six side pieces) for starters. I have both the metal tape and the vinyl stuff, and while both are better than what is there now, the metal tape looks "more correct". The vinyl tape looks good, but the design is a bit different than stock. Since my pieces are off the car, I think I will be going with the metal inserts.

It will be interesting to see how those new pieces with the Red trim will look when in place!

Good luck!
TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have the double sided 3M tape number to use for the metal trim. By double sided I mean it has pull off adhesive on both sides and also you can trim it to fit the SS metal inserts after you install it on the metal inserts. This makes it easy to get the inserts in the right place on the anodized aluminum chrome trim.
I will look it up the number and post it here. It came from one of the members.
Paul

denson1932

Well Known Member
I already spent $20 on the econo molding clip set but oops, 1962 Impala side moldings need special clips to curve around the center channel...so i made some out of the ribbed section of these cans....too cheap to spend another $85 on the correct clips. i added a rubber washer made from punched out heat shrink material to each stud, on both sides of body panels. If you got long skinny arms and good dexterity you can get a nut on all studs but one location on the 1/4 panel moldings on pass side and all but 2 on drivers side....

So whats the use of the rain gutters i made that channel water that comes down the front drip rail? after i made them i realize they will still dump the rain water over the top of the door hinges and that is kinda stupid...maybe i re-make them even longer so they dump in front of the cowl lip?

finally here some pixs of repop chrome window frames, not the same contour as original...

Attachments

• DSCF0782.JPG
    DSCF0782.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0783.JPG
    DSCF0783.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0784.JPG
    DSCF0784.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0785.JPG
    DSCF0785.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0786.JPG
    DSCF0786.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0797.JPG
    DSCF0797.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0789.JPG
    DSCF0789.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0775.JPG
    DSCF0775.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0776.JPG
    DSCF0776.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0777.JPG
    DSCF0777.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 49

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
OK so i complain about many repop parts...but this tape kit is AWESOME...it was only $28 free shipping on ebay and got it in the US mail in only 3 days, applied all 6 strips in only 90 minutes even with my one bad eye, and just couldn't be happier with the results compared to the price...i was going to cover it with a coat of rattle can clear but i am hesitant to do that thinking it will kill some of the reflectivity...will post more pixs when the panel clip kit arrives and i get them mounted on the car...

I was just out in the garage and cleaning the side chrome SS bright work. The inserts look to be original and could probably use replacing. For $28.00 and free shipping, I'd be willing to take a look at this tape you describe. Could you kindly tell me where you found this on the internet?? Also, if you or anyone else might know, would the old strip have to be removed first before applying the new?? Thank you, Carmine.

denson1932

Well Known Member
The vendor on ebay is 'finesunvisors' but i must have steered many to the site because now this morning the listing is gone...they had 20 but now 0 available...search this on ebay for the white impala but not ss tape:
1962 impala white side molding trim tape

denson1932

Well Known Member
our bubbletop project car was to be lo-budget ($15k done) and was until i got the 409 fever....anyway, if you have an authentic SS perhaps the metal inserts are the best choice...

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
our bubbletop project car was to be lo-budget ($15k done) and was until i got the 409 fever....anyway, if you have an authentic SS perhaps the metal inserts are the best choice...

OK. Thank you. My '62 isn't an authentic SS but the moldings/inserts appear to be original. Guess I'll give this some more thought, Carmine.

56_Kruiser

The vendor on ebay is 'finesunvisors' but i must have steered many to the site because now this morning the listing is gone...they had 20 but now 0 available...search this on ebay for the white impala but not ss tape:
1962 impala white side molding trim tape

Looks like it is back again, here.

Anyone have any idea if that tape would be wide enough to use on a '
61 Bubbletop? My trim is polished right now. Can't decide if I like it polished. I have always liked the spun aluminum look. Your opinions welcome.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The tape I used was in the Uline.com supply catalog. It was 3M, 2mil double sided with 100# tensile strength. I've given the catalog & the tape to others and beside its surely out of date by now. I used the 1 in wide and ran 2 different strips on the quarter panel molding.
So it's best to talk to Uline for there recommendations .

Dave

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the tape information, from a past set of comments on this forum. Note the detailed information on installing metal inserts on 62 Impala SS trim with the thin 3M tape that I thought should be used from a Dave Kosman recommendation.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/conversations/ss-side-trim-tape-number.17911/

Note that 62Impala409 says to switch from the tape I recommended from his actual use 3M#4920 VHB tape. Also note the cost of a 1" wide roll (to fit the 1/4 chrome width) at $255. I was about to buy this tape for a 62 SS set of chrome for a 62 SS 409 convertible and some extra 62 Impala chrome I want to add SS metal inserts too. 62 chrome needs the 1" wide tape.

62 Impala SS rear 1/4 trim has a width of 1 & 1/6" at the rear of the 1/4 chrome and 9/16" at the front of the rear 1/4 chrome. My point is that if it was to fit on 61 Belair trim and you need the rear 1/4 sections. You can buy just the 1/4 panel metal SS strips and not have to purchase the doors and front fenders. For the tape kit "That is not metal" only the 1/4 panel pieces would be wide enough to fit the 61 Belair chrome(from 61 Belair chrome I have seen).

Paul