1962 Options

my3suns

I'm rebuilding my 1962 Impala 2 door hard top sports coupe. My car has the original 235ci 6 cylinder engine, but I want to put a 1958, 348ci, 360hp in it. Was this engine available in 62? Does anyone see trouble mating it to my 2 speed Power Glide tranny?

And finally; were can I find a good list of options available on a 1962 Impala?

:bang my3suns

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The powerglide will bolt up to the 348 fine but you are going to have to come up with a V 8 kickdown rod that goes from the carb to the trans. I believe your 6 cyl flex plate will work also but if not someone will jump in and correct me. Make sure that there is not a pilotbearing in the crank of your 348 before you start buttoning things together.:) Roy

Welcome in, My3suns:beerbang

Roy... they're so close ! ... the bolt pattern on the flex-plate... not interchangeable though. DEFINITELY no big deal. ANY generic 168 tooth ( the big one ) flex-plate or flywheel from a 70's/80's 350 Chevy will work just fine.

I believe that 235 "big block" 6 is coupled to a cast iron "2 speed Power Glide tranny" ( hereinafter referred to as a "glide" :coffee: ). I know that the bell housing is a VERY peculiar thing, and will not bolt up to any Chevrolet V8 engine ( or 62 & newer 6 cyl ).

In this case, I'd have to recommend changing the transmission to a "short tail housing" aluminum 'glide. They were first used in 1962 327 cars ( and Chevy II ). If you can find a 62 version... it's a DIRECT bolt-in. If not, I have found the 64 model to have more compatible linkage than the 63..:dunno .

Changing to the aluminum 'glide will also solve your kick-down linkage pronlem, as these parts are EVERYWHERE ! ( need some ? ... HHMM ? :deal ).

Other little things that I see you'll need:

Frame mount pedestals ( stands ) for a V8... available used from ANY 1959-64 Chevrolet or CDN Pontiac car that had a V8 engine.

A V8 throttle lever for the firewall ( you need the arm only ). Any 59-64 will fit... however, there are a number of different designs. To try and be correct, I would attempt to find a 1962 ( one year only ) part from a 283 car.

Hope this helps

BTW... no matter how much work this conversion is... you WILL KNOW it was worth it:deal :beerbang

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I will add, early 58 348s had cooling issues when run hard. Mid 58 and all 348s after had cooling passages added to the block and heads. No need to settle for the early 348 as many later models with the added cooling are available.