1963-1965 409 Reproduction Alternator Bracket

altbracketboxinside.jpg

altbracketboxtop.jpg

altbracketboxtop1.jpg

These are a few pictures of a reproduction alternator bracket that my customer just brouht to me.
It doesn't show up as obvious here.... but hopefully you can notice an angle/twist at the front, where the bolt would go through into the cylinder head. when just mocking this up, the top of the bracket is at a 20+ degree angle to the engine. The problem isn't so much that the metal is twisted, as that the folded over tab inside, has not been welded at the correct location.
As far as i can tell, this particular one, is an unuseable part.

Is this normal for these reproduction parts ?
If it is.... I'll manufacture my own.
If it isn't... I'll ask my customer to try and get a suitable replacement.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pretty common with repop parts! Ill fitting, poor materials, bad welds, the list goes on and on. Its really just a crap shoot when it comes to buying repop parts such as this. There might be 20 on the shelf at the parts house, 12 are good and usable and the rest are bad. You just never know what you are going to get!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have several TSB 's addressing Delcotron alternator bracket problems and fixes in 62/63 as well as one on the idler pulley.

Cecil, I've had a few originals... always good.
I made my own about 15 years go. They were good.
This is the first time I've attempted to use a commercially available product.
HHHMMM...
Maybe Show Cars should have copied my alternator bracket as well ?

Oh, While I'm here...
How 'bout this f#&%ed up water pump pulley:

409wppulleygrooves.JPG

409wppulleyinside.JPG

409wppulleytop.JPG

This one REALLY has me PO'd :bat
Look at the grooves for the belt on the new pulley.
How the hell is a belt supposed to survive in there ??????????

this is freaking junk

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I take it the shallow groove is a repo Otherwise looks like the typical diff between a low perf pulley and a deep groove Hi perf pulley unless I'm missing something...maybe the shape of the goove on the repo?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I ordered once from them about 5 years ago, every thing I got was crap. 3x2 linkage was cheap, hokey junk. 2 bbl rebuild kits missing correct gaskets, 3x2 fuel line kit had back ordered parts, no good to me incomplete. Wasnt told when ordering they were missing parts. My solution was to never ever order from them again and I haven't and never will.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My original alternator bracket for my 64' was misplaced,so I ordered a reproduction thinking it would be ok.Once I got it,I couldn't believe the front bolt alignment was not untainable.It was not even close.AS opposed to sending it back,I welded an extension on,also had to straight the part out.When that was done,I had no problems at all,perfect alignment.Found the original one when the project was complete,then did the swap.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Or you could go to your local wrecking yard and get the bracket that was commonly used on 67-72 Chevy pickups. I bought two for 4.00 each then cut and welded to fit the attachment holes, its cast steel, and used one of Dave Smiths, Petepedler's, repo upper bracket that I did some trading to Dave for the lower brackets so he could do the same thing.

Alternator Bracket 1.jpgAlternator Bracket 2.jpgAlternator Bracket Belt.jpgAlternator Bracket Modified & Mounted.jpgTop Alternator Bracket 1.jpgEngine Comp 2.jpg

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-BIG-...ccessories&hash=item3f214bcdca&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

I bought and used this cheap chrome alternator bracket which has been working great on my 409. Cut the tab off the back, locate and redrill one hole. Then I cut off the lower mounting hole and shaped that end on the bench grinder. Hit it with some satin black paint and nobody gives it a second look. Sounds more complicated than it is to modify and requires no welding. Use the upper hockey stick to finish the mounting

Here is a pic boxerdog posted awhile back of the same modified bracket.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?attachments/061-jpg.15923/

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was going to build my own, but I just bought one like tripower used above, for $20 off eBay. FYI, the GM part number on it is 3951337. Nice tip!