1963 impala z11 409

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Z06 story

Hey Tom

In 1966 I was working as an apprentice mechanic at a dealership in downtown Toronto (Gorries Chev-Olds).
This was one of the hottest dealerships around. Along with a bunch of small and big block cars owned by mechanics that dragged raced regularly, Gorries sponsored a 65 Chevy II with a Hilborn Injected 396. I helped on this car a lot.

I was driving a 63 Coupe (we didn't call them SWC back then) 327-300 with 2 AFBs and 411 gears..........this used to really scream.

Well a salesman came to me one day and asked if I wanted to buy a 65 396 Coupe......well I had to go look.
It was a Z06 that had been raced at Mosport (local road course) by Dave Billes the owner of Canadian Tire, a very large auto parts and service chain throughout Canada.
When I sat in it I said 'no way'..........there is no room in the back of this thing.
I remember they wanted about $2000 and my 63, I told them they were crazy.

That's just one that got away.....can you imagine what that would be worth today....and what a great car to own.

Keep lookin' for those old Z06 Vettes

BJ

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Can't believe I had the early scoop on Trump (2004). I might have been off on which son gets the oxygen mask first (old SouthWest joke) but I don't think it's coming my way. I do think they'll both be able to take care of Barb when I'm gone. She calls my funeral "The Wake and General Auction". So I'm gonna keep that dream alive of owning those particular cars, while the gap between reality and that dream continues to grow :).

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tom, I know where one of the original Grand Sports is (or was) but last I heard he wasn't planning on selling it. I saw it in his garage in about 81 or 82. Plant City, Florida.