1963409ss

James jones

Well Known Member
Hey Murphy, I always thought it was the most beautiful car. I believe I saw that car at a super Chevy event in 1985 at rockingham speedway in 1985. I remember there was a big crowd around the car.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
If you read super Chevy way back in the day…..Doug Marion had several articles on the old barber I remember reading those stories well……Back when they were stories of Floyd Garrett too……And his exact re-creation of Junior Johnson’s 63 Holly Farms Impala…… which included a mystery motor

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok, this fellow name was John stepanek from Indiana who went by barber John. He died in 1988 at age 42. I looked him up online. He had a 1963 ss with 409-425 that he raced. It ran 12’s. There was an article on him in super Chevy and in 1988. Does anybody remember this guy?
I believe the article said he was from Laporte Indiana……. If that’s correct I will be amazed….. I’m at work I have no idea, but it just seems I remember that…

James jones

Well Known Member
On Floyd Garrett, it seems his shop/museum was in Tennessee. It seems he had several performance chevrolets including a z-11 63 and I think he had some 427 fords which were probably lightweights. His cars were on the covers of a couple of magazines like super Chevy and muscle car review. I had most of the muscle car review from 1987.

Reactions: 327

James jones

Well Known Member
Another note is on the project x 1957 Chevrolet which popular hot ridding ran an excellent extended series of articles. I got most if not all of those magazines on the constant improvements they made to that car. Well fast forward to this year. I had a subscription to hot rod magazine. In one of the latest issues, somehow they got ahold of that project x car. They were doing all kinds of “improvements” to that car including dropping a modern 6.2 motor into it. I was so pissed I cancelled my subscription to hot rod. I feel like that car is sacred and should be in a museum. This is my opinion on this situation.

Reactions: 327

James jones

Well Known Member
Another note is that I mentioned I bought a new 1973 chevelle in 1973. I haven’t been able to find any pictures of it. It was a super sport with a black finish with silver stripes down the side. In 1979 I traded it in on a new 1979 Pontiac trans am. The Chevy only had 50000 miles on it and I always enjoyed the car. Anyway, a couple of years back ( maybe 5 or 6 ), Hemings muscle car magazine ran a article on a 73 ss and put it on the cover. It was exactly like the one I had with black and silver. As a matter of fact it was the muscle car of the year for Hemings. Check this issue out and see this beautiful car.

James jones

Well Known Member
By the way, Floyd garratts car museum has been closed for a year or so it’s he died a couple of years ago. The museum was In Tennessee. Dont know if it is still there. James jones