1963409ss

James jones

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I’m sorry I’ve been off this site for so long but I have had kidney stone issues for a period of time going back to February. I had one taken out on March 21. Then another on March 25 where a stun gun was used. This gun put out like 45,000 pounds of pressure and blasted the stone into bits. Then a third one on may 6. I lost like 9 pounds in 4 weeks and still dropping. I had to give up hot dogs, bacon, sausage, pizzA and French fries. Pretty much any processed meat. I will get back on soon to finish the story of me buying my 1964 ss in 1976. James jones

wristpin

Well Known Member
I had stones issue from nov 21 to around march 22. More painful than breaking bones. Glad youre feeling better!

Reactions: 327

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Yes, glad you're feeling better, James. :applI remember, in 1964, I was 18. My Dad had a terrible pain, in his back and pubic area. Off to the hospital. :dohThey took his stone out, through his Mr. Peabody. :eek3He told me about his procedure, and thinking about it, turned my stomach. :barf2Luckily, everything turned out OK.

James jones

Well Known Member
Actually skipx14, the first one they put a camera in me and got it out. I was out of it but later I bled for 3 days. When it was trying to pass on out, it hurt me so bad for a week. I thought I could climb up the walls I couldn’t find any position I could lay down that I could get away from that tremendous pain. I know how your dad felt. By the way I turned 17 in 1964. Regards James Jones

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
They aren't no joke. I had my first ones a few years back. They had me scheduled for surgery the week after our 409 event at the Rock N Race and suddenly had a opening to do it the day of the Rock N Race. I told them that wouldn't work and raced all weekend with them, oh what a weekend I made it to the last 6 cars in the gamblers race had about 100 cars entered then made it to semi finals of our race. There were times that weekend I laid in the staging lanes because the warmth felt good on my side. It was a Son Of A B#%@. Ended up being 5.5mm then a 7.5mm then a 5.5mm and a small rock quarry behind those. I don't wish that shit on anybody. Not sure how the hell I made it through that weekend, just too dumb to quit lol. Mine were caused by gold peak sweet tea but everybody is different. Hope yours stay away.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
They aren't no joke. I had my first ones a few years back. They had me scheduled for surgery the week after our 409 event at the Rock N Race and suddenly had a opening to do it the day of the Rock N Race. I told them that wouldn't work and raced all weekend with them, oh what a weekend I made it to the last 6 cars in the gamblers race had about 100 cars entered then made it to semi finals of our race. There were times that weekend I laid in the staging lanes because the warmth felt good on my side. It was a Son Of A B#%@. Ended up being 5.5mm then a 7.5mm then a 5.5mm and a small rock quarry behind those. I don't wish that shit on anybody. Not sure how the hell I made it through that weekend, just too dumb to quit lol. Mine were caused by gold peak sweet tea but everybody is different. Hope yours stay away.

Yep, you were in pain, all hunched over and on meds.

Don't tell me about the gold peak tea causing stones....we drink it all the time....but unsweetened. I'm sweet enough already. Besides I take some other liquids from time to time to counteract side effects...

James jones

Well Known Member
Hey guys, does anybody remember a guy named “barber John”. I can’t remember his last name. There were some magazine articles on him in the 1980’s. He drove and raced a 1963 impala ss with a 409-425 under the hood. The car was burgandy or red. He wore a white racing helmet. He might have been from the chArlotte area. I can’t remember his class, maybe A stock. He raced in the 1980’s. I think he was kind of a heavy set guy. He died in the 1990’s sometime. Does anybody know of this fellow? James jones.

James jones

Well Known Member
Ok, this fellow name was John stepanek from Indiana who went by barber John. He died in 1988 at age 42. I looked him up online. He had a 1963 ss with 409-425 that he raced. It ran 12’s. There was an article on him in super Chevy and in 1988. Does anybody remember this guy?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I do seem to remember that name, sure I read it in a magazine. Never seen the car at a track. Late bloomer or living in a different part of the country.