1964 front grill installation

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How are you all installing your front grill? Are you using rivets? Or is there a place where I can buy the hardware? The parts install in a certain order?

First time assembling 64 front grill, trim

Thanks

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I did my 63 with factory rivets.It is a two person job.I held the block of steel,setting tool and grill and my wife had the hammer.I can still remember telling her that this is a nos grill and if you are going to miss hit my hand and not the grill lol
Zip corvette sells the rivets and the setting tool
The ones with nuts are much easier to install.It all depends on how far you want to go for originality.
F8B40CD3-0D5A-4748-8FF1-78A617371526.jpeg5CB2B7CC-D241-40C1-BC83-065FD59CD4FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies, I think Im gonna go with the rivets that Paul was talking about. Any idea where I would get them? Another question, I seem to be missing a few of the bolts that hold the extended grill section to the fenders "underneath the eyebrows and such" any idea if someone sells a kit? Or should I just try the local hardware store?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I will look up the place to buy the rivets.
I did 2 - 1962 grills with the stock rivets using a special rivet tool I got from Phil Reed years ago.
I did not like using the rivet tool, way to easy to damage the grill.

The stainless rivets with hex nuts and star washers are the best way.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
here are the correct stainless rivets (that I used on 2-3 1962 Chevy grilles -also for 1963 and 1964 and 1961's
count your rivets you may need to order 50 vs 25 of these rivets
The heads of these stainless rivets can be buffed to a high shine..
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Paul, did you have any trouble keeping the rivet from spinning when you tightened them?

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Paul. 1 more question. I dont see any bolt kits for sale for the front end. What size are the original bolts. I may have to go to the hardware store. I'm trying to bolt the headlight panel to the fender and when I put the brow trim over the area, it doesn't sit flush so I'm thinking I have the wrong bolts. I am not the original disassemble person. Lesson learned.

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The factory bolts are 5/16 coarse thread for most of the front end - a few different ones are used
I have lots of original bolts that I can sell.
post a pictures of the area you are mounting parts
Paul

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hubbards sells flat heads that look like rivets that are actually a nut & bolt with a star washer.IMG_7745.jpeg

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The area I'm looking for bolts for is the area underneath that passenger eyebrow side trim piece. This is my neighbors car and I know he too did not have the right bolts. I'm scared to ask what they used. ‍

Attachments

• 20230714_200915.jpg
    20230714_200915.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 17

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The area I'm looking for bolts for is the area underneath that passenger eyebrow side trim piece. This is my neighbors car and I know he too did not have the right bolts. I'm scared to ask what they used. ‍
Oops, I miss read which fasteners you were looking for.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oops, I miss read which fasteners you were looking for.
Thank you fo the video, now I see it truly is a p i t a to remove and replace the eyebrows, I did notice that there were no bolts in the 3 holes underneath it? Were they removed prior to the video? Or do no bolts go there except for the plastic clip in the middle?

blkss64

Well Known Member
So on a factory original car, the two top clips have nuts that secure the clips that are part of the molding. In the middle of the molding, there is a plastic clip that secures the molding then there is a phillips head chrome screw that retains the bottom of the molding into the front of the fender.