1966 Impala Cowl Tag Decoding - can anyone help?

Hello auto experts, which is everyone @ this site but me...

Could someone help me figure out this tag so I have an idea of what the original vehicle contained?
To prove I have tried, here’s what I have discovered so far by searching the web…

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
11A
ST 66-16469 BWC1570 BODY
TR 842B AA PAINT
BODY BY FISHER
11A = This is the Time Build Code which means it was built in the month of November of the first week.
ST = This is the Style, 66 is the Model Year, 164 is the Division Series, 69 is a 4 door Sedan, BWC1570 is the Body Unit #, 1570 is the unit number.
TR = This means Trim, 842 means the trim color is Blue (which Blue?) and the material is cloth and vinyl. The B is the seat type, but I don’t know what type? Maybe electric since it has been replaced with electric seats from a Cadillac? AA means the lower body and upper body were both Tuxedo Black (which Black?) It has been painted blue and I want to return it to the original color).
494 = the Accessory Code and I haven’t been able to figure it out.
Side question, a Y in the vin stands for Wilmington, but which state?

-Thanks in advance for any help.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hello auto experts, which is everyone @ this site but me...

Could someone help me figure out this tag so I have an idea of what the original vehicle contained?
To prove I have tried, here’s what I have discovered so far by searching the web…

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
11A
ST 66-16469 BWC1570 BODY
TR 842B AA PAINT
BODY BY FISHER
11A = This is the Time Build Code which means it was built in the month of November of the first week.
ST = This is the Style, 66 is the Model Year, 164 is the Division Series, 69 is a 4 door Sedan, BWC1570 is the Body Unit #, 1570 is the unit number.
TR = This means Trim, 842 means the trim color is Blue (which Blue? ) and the material is cloth and vinyl. The B is the seat type, but I don’t know what type? Maybe electric since it has been replaced with electric seats from a Cadillac? AA means the lower body and upper body were both Tuxedo Black (which Black?) It has been painted blue and I want to return it to the original color).
494 = the Accessory Code and I haven’t been able to figure it out.
Side question, a Y in the vin stands for Wilmington, but which state?

-Thanks in advance for any help.

Bench seat,.
Wilmington, Delaware.
Acessory codes are not published.
Tuxedo Black

Looks like the accessory code will take a long time to figure out and it's not of the highest priority. I'll see if I can find any more bits of the build sheet behind the back seat which might help. Meanwhile I'll post some pix and begin working on the engine well. It's cold enough that the wasps that live in the headlights won't nail me anymore and I have to get it into the garage before it's covered with 3 feet of snow again. I'm gonna do it this year!:doh

Yes, Acc code not worth the effort since it didn't come all-original anyway.
Outside will return to Tuxedo Black, inside will be some shade of blue - which was probably the original color.
There are so many options, I'll just customize it to my liking (and bank account).:rolleyes

I found an extremely cool options manual which someone was nice enough to scan if anyone is interested...
http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq300/impaladave/1966%20Chevrolet%20Accessory%20Brochure/

The wasps like metal in the hot sun. Covering the car with a tarp helped. Man they give 'ya a jolt!:mad

I guess I will pressure-wash the engine well and then see what I'm dealing with underneath the grease.

Somebody please stop me if this is a bad idea...

Any advice on what type of paint I should use?
I don't plan on stripping it, just sand off the rust and use high-heat engine paint.
Black is the current color.

Does this sound okay, or should I go all the way and sand down to metal and start from scratch?

Pictures coming soon..