1970 Monte Carlo Convertible

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Yup. That's right. A 1970 Monte Carlo convertible. I went to a large cruise in last night. About 300 cars. Normally 800 or better. Only saw a '62 Impala. No 409's. Guess most lack taste LOL. Anyhow, I saw this Monte Carlo convertible with the top down and boot fastened like it should be. Looked at the windshield sticker, 1970 Monte Carlo alright. But a convertible???? I've never seen one before. Never heard talk about any. I don't think this is factory at all. Would anyone happen to know if this was legit?? It definitely was done up right if that was the case. The rear seat side panels protruded out giving the impression that the top lifting mechanism was inside. The upper windshield header was chromed and notched properly to secure the top. I have a suspicion that they must have used parts from another GM factory convertible. Maybe a Chevelle?? If this was indeed after market, it had to cost a small fortune. I really don't think I liked it. Should have grabbed a few shots with the camera and posted them. I'm going back again and when I do, I'll grab some pics. Checked for the owner several times, but never made contact, Carmine.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi everyone. Yup. That's right. A 1970 Monte Carlo convertible. I went to a large cruise in last night. About 300 cars. Normally 800 or better. Only saw a '62 Impala. No 409's. Guess most lack taste LOL. Anyhow, I saw this Monte Carlo convertible with the top down and boot fastened like it should be. Looked at the windshield sticker, 1970 Monte Carlo alright. But a convertible???? I've never seen one before. Never heard talk about any. I don't think this is factory at all. Would anyone happen to know if this was legit?? It definitely was done up right if that was the case. The rear seat side panels protruded out giving the impression that the top lifting mechanism was inside. The upper windshield header was chromed and notched properly to secure the top. I have a suspicion that they must have used parts from another GM factory convertible. Maybe a Chevelle?? If this was indeed after market, it had to cost a small fortune. I really don't think I liked it. Should have grabbed a few shots with the camera and posted them. I'm going back again and when I do, I'll grab some pics. Checked for the owner several times, but never made contact, Carmine.

Did a little looking around.......Guys are stating the convertible "was"going to be produced in 70.......it's actually printed in the 70 Monte owners manual.......one fella stated he built 3 and the cutlass body style was the best donor for the transformation

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,It had to be an aftermarket,or "home conversion" deal.There were never any Monte Carlo convertables ever.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
This picture is supposedly Listed in the original 1970 Monte Carlo accessories brochure...........
275859.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine,It had to be an aftermarket,or "home conversion" deal.There were never any Monte Carlo convertables ever.

Yeah. I agree. That above pic sure looks like it. Have to wonder why they never made a convertible?? I thought they were nice looking cars. Guess it doesn't matter now.
I've read on a trifive site, where they've taken a '57 4d ht Belair and turned it into a convertible. One of the companies supplied everything that was needed to do this. I guess they turned out quite well. I know the parts alone were a fortune; not to mention labor. To each their own, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A local classic car collector(former local telephone company owner) had one built in his body shop about 15/20 years ago. It was black/black 1970 454 convertible.
It was extremely well done. He may still have it, or he could possibly have sold it. All his cars (at least a 100) are stored at Lake Okoboji, Iowa in two buildings by his resort on the lake. A friend who is currently doing the body and paint our 62 SS 409 Red convertible did lots of the work on the car when he worked for him.
Paul

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wasn't 1970 about the time GM was starting to down-size or thinking about making Chevrolet into the economy brand.
Or starting to think about lowering the number of models in the car lines.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I read on that Chevelle website that there were discussions of Roll over mandates coming........safety............

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Although I cannot be 100% sure, I agree with Don. I don't believe there were any 70 Monte Carlo convertibles. It almost certainly has to be a custom, either like other aftermarket conversions, whether it be a T top, or other custom options or just a one off by a talented customizer. I am basically sure there were no factory 70 Monte Carlo convertibles.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I bought a 70 SS 454 Monte and would have bought a convertible if dealer would order it!! Motor spun a bearing though!
Robert

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member

This one caught my eye in a WTF kind of way.

MonteWagon1.jpg

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
NHRA Classification Guide for 1970 Chevies shows both a Monte Carlo coupe and a convertible.The mystery to me is how did they arrive at legal shipping weights with the various engine combinations for determination of classes on a car that they never built. It would be fun to build one and show up at a race with it, entered in Stock Eliminator, and have a copy of the NHRA Classification Guide with you in order to get through tech. One rare option was a Monte Carlo with an LS-6, either 1970 or 1971.