1974 Hot Rod

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I raced H-2's for many years. had a few street machines as well.
one of my favorite stories to tell:
i was riding along rt29 in maryland on my bone stock 72 H2 when a german shepard ran off his yard to bite me, he was along the right side and nearly got me when i sped up a little, i reached down and yanked the injector cable and punched it, pulled over in front of him about the time smoke started to pour out the back :roll i was in high gear so it didnt really take off....i finally lost him in the cloud and slowed down. i was laughing so hard i nearly lost it turning around. i passed by as he was hackin up a lung on the sidewalk. i turned again and passed his house, he looked pissed but didnt chase me ever again.
I bought up all the old H2's around and soon the dealerships were referring work to me. all told i wound up with about 12 of them. made a dragbike out of the best one. eventually got a 140 hp kits from Paul Gast near the end, the bike went 9.70 @140 i would convert it to run the dirt drags on certain weekends. H2's have 748 cc cast on the outer cylinders. so i ran in the 651-750 class. only others in class were triumps and bsa. i dont have to tell why track champion for 3 years.
winning got me a ride on a twin engine top fuel bike. and a sponsorship from the local HD dealer to race the new XR1000. I set the national record on the hd but nothing is the same as an H2 some of you know my nickname is 2stroke. this is part of that story. sorry for the long rant, but u struck a nerve.

Attachments

• kamakazi 25%.jpg
    kamakazi 25%.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 68
  • kamakazi 75-80 10%.jpg
    kamakazi 75-80 10%.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 52
  • dirt kamakazi10%.jpg
    dirt kamakazi10%.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 44
  • upclose twin 15%.JPG
    upclose twin 15%.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 52
  • xr 75-80 1987 10%.jpg
    xr 75-80 1987 10%.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 54

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In 1973 I bought a new Honda 750. My brother showed up with a Kow 500 he was thinking about buying.
I took it for a ride and was back in a matter of minutes.
I told him to return it to the seller or else he would be dead in a mater of weeks !!
That thing scared the crap out of me when I twisted the throttle and the front end came flying up !!
All it wanted to do was go fast and straight,,, no turning!!!

Attachments

• Resize of Re-exposure of Honda 71.JPG
    Resize of Re-exposure of Honda 71.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 71

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
dq409: What color was your 750? Was it Orange?

YEP,,, Orange !!! And like Ray said,,, a blast !!!!
I took the top and bottom stripe off the tanks around the black area,,

Liked the 69-72 tank stripe better,,

Bought it new in 73 and rode it out the show room doors !!!

Only thing I`ve ever bought new,,,dq

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Orange

:cool: That WAS a nice color.:clap I wanted one in the worst way, but they were all sold out. I ended up buying a (Don't Laugh) 73 Orange CB 350 twin. It was the best bike I ever owned. After two years and some 20,000 miles I finally got my 750 Honda. It was a Blue K-5. Wow what a difference, having four cylinders. I thought it was fast, until an RD-350 Yamaha showed me what fast really was.:roll Its too bad we can't go back.:dunno Then again maybe that's not a good idea.:roll Skip:)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
: Its too bad we can't go back.:dunno Then again maybe that's not a good idea.:roll Skip:)

NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL !!!

I`d say were all lucky we are still alive after being young and fearless !!!

I can remember countless times riding like a crazy man and living through it !!:eek:

Now I ride cool and do the crazy stuff on a track with no side streets or intersections!!:brow

However,,, you can get a great deal on these 750`s,,,
Check this one out,,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-HONDA-CB750-CB-750_W0QQitemZ330058285971QQihZ014QQcategoryZ80647QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Here are a couple pictures of what the stock tank should look like,,(not my bike)

Attachments

• bd7a_12.jpg
    bd7a_12.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 34
  • c18a_12.jpg
    c18a_12.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 39

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
6459556.jpg

here's a shot of me and one of my deuce coupes back in 78. I was a lot skinnier back then, and my hot rods were alittle harder to get in and out of.:brow

Dave in Denver

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was looking for suitable old pictures but didn't see any I wanted to share but looked at several of my old Hot Rod magazines and saw some ads The 61 could be mine headed to Clay City next year. The ad was in the May 1961 edition. The 63 ad was in January 1963. I wish I could have scanned in better detail but could get it to work on the site

Attachments

• Dec_06_001.jpg
    Dec_06_001.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Dec_06_002.jpg
    Dec_06_002.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 44

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have that origanal enegine list ad hang ing on my wall,,,:D

Dave,, you weren`t skinny,,,,,, you were a bean pole !!!!:roll :roll

cool car though,,,,

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
OK..Here is another article from May 1961 HotRod...This is one of my favorite motors also(2x3 or 3x2 FE'S)

Attachments

• hotrod 001.jpg
    hotrod 001.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 59
  • hotrod 002.jpg
    hotrod 002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 53
  • hotrod 003.jpg
    hotrod 003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 52

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Here's a few shots of my first car.

In earlier threads I mentioned that I replaced the 283 with a (1966 327 L-79) a 350 Turbo-Hydramatic transmission with a moderate shift kit and 3:08 rear gears. Sluggish off the line but would scream like a banshee after 2,500± rpm. Never got around to changing the rear gears. Was always hoping for 4:11 or 4:56 and get cut-outs behind the headers.

Fast-forward 25 years...this car was picked up this summer for what ever parts that could be salvaged. I still have the engine though. :D

Used to street race back then (Late 1970's to early 1980's). Mostly on less-travelled rural roads. However the new law around here is if you get caught street racing - the car gets impounded and will get hauled away to be "crushed". Zero-tolerance. A few kids got killed, as well as, other innocent folks, racing like the "Fast and Furious" on CITY STREETS.

RCE1962

Ron

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Very nice car.:clap I know, you would like to have it back, with a w motor in it.:clap

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Found lots of pictures of my cars, but none with my ugly mug , ( probably a good thing ) pictured is my first 409. A truck motor out of cab-over-tractor. Little boy is taking it apart. Little boy is now 33 years old. Other pic. is my 50 Chevy I bought at the age of 16. $250,,,,, got a bank loan, ( my Dad co-signed ) Delivered prescriptions for the local drug store to make payments. Car had blue and silver diamond tuck interior. 6 cyl std shift. BIG spinner hub caps. Blew it up within 6 months. Also pictured is my 14 year old girlfriend. Married her 2 years later. She still hangs around here. Sometimes teenage marriages work. :eek:

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Skipxt4

Yep. Couldn't find one then.

Models

Were you all dressed up for the Molson plant tour?

That.... plus Labatts and Carling too. They did't like my idea of sticking this flyer in every one of their cases.

Ron

Attachments

• Beer Troubleshooting.jpg
    Beer Troubleshooting.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 60

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ronnie

That is one sweet car! Love the colour, whitewalls and wheel trim. :beerbang

Ron

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My thing for 64 Chevys

Black and White is my High School ride-1968. Blue color photo is my daily driver for 1978-1981. Both 283 powerglide.

Attachments

• green64.jpg
    green64.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 51
  • blue64.jpg
    blue64.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 53