1998 Silverado 4x4 Project

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My neighbour/friend passed out while driving her truck back in June, crossed the yellow line on a 2 lane, hit a tree dead center. Airbag did its job, she had a few bruised ribs. She has decided not to drive again and sold the truck to me. 305, air, tilt, cruise, original paint, no rust to speak off, about 64,000 miles (103,000kms). Regular cab long box.

Needs hood, rad, transmission cooler, bumper, grill, shroud, all the plastic bits around the bumper. Front fenders likely ok, but cross member bent back which pulled the frame ends in, frame horns are also bent up/busted. Headlights and signal lights are busted.

I’m told by someone who works on these things, best option is to replace the front frame section. I can buy a southern frame section so I’m going to figure out how this all comes apart. Already removed most of the front clip and got a hood.

77969535-0380-42BA-980D-AEFAD3ACFE94.jpeg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thay are worth about $5000 after you fix it. Is it worth it?
Yup.

I think you are low Mike. Doesn’t matter what it’s worth, I’ll be keeping it. The newer trucks have very weak frames and bodies, they’ve dropped the gauge on both. Cost wise a new similar truck would be $50,000 and have a whole lot of electronic crap I don’t want. I only haul a 3,000 lb boat, drive a truck under 10,000 miles, it works for me.

The new stuff of all truck brands is just getting made cheaper and cheaper and sold for more and more. IMHO.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No, it was around the bumper area and I didn’t know what it was so figured it may have been something to do with the airbag. I’ll have to dig it out of the pile.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't think i would even bother with a air bag. I have a 90 silverado and not equipped with it . I am the only one driving this truck and anymore its around town . Your use may differ. Lol.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No seat belt or airbag in the 63, but only dead once? Worse would be a quad and needing someone to feed me and wipe my butt, etc. Some people spend a lot of money on chrome, I’ll see what it costs to do the airbag.