1998 Silverado 4x4 Project

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That little yellow box on the front of the frame IS an airbag senser.Usually there are two ,one on each side.If your provence has safety inspection requirements,replacing the bag./bagfs may be mandentory to pass inspection.It is in the state of Virginia.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That little yellow box on the front of the frame IS an airbag senser.Usually there are two ,one on each side.If your provence has safety inspection reuirements,replacing the bag./bagfs may be mandentory to pass inspection.It is in the state of Virginia.
Many flippers/rebuilders just pull the light bulb on the dash so there is no alert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
In Va.,if the warning lights on air bag,check engine light light,abs lights fail to light and respond as designed,instant failure for inspection .

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Started taking it apart, lifted the box to move it back away from the cab. Gives me room to lift the cab and move it back to get to the frame joint. Pic of frame joint marked in chaulk, have to grind that out. The replacement frame section has surface rust, it’s real solid. I’ll clean it up and POR it after I grind off the weld.

D6877A36-1BC0-41DF-BD64-A24F79A002F4.jpeg
3AC7B02E-D1DF-46F6-865B-ADA2F0A19546.jpeg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Haven’t worked on 4wheel abs and to lift the cab and then switch the front frame section, looks like I will have to remove the brakes lines from the master and the 5 lines from the abs module. The 2 lines released off the master cylinder let’s me lift it off attached to the power brake booster/cab and not attached to any brake lines.

Will reattaching the 5 lines to the abs module and the 2 on the master then doing a brake bleed get everything back working again? Or does the abs add a complication?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,it shouln't be a problem Don.I'd suggest looking up the bleeding proceedure just to make certian,but this system is fairly simple compared to the eariler vehicles that had ABS.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you have gages, hook them up and just open a valve to release it slowly. If no gages just loosen a line fitting tell it starts to leak so it slowly releases.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've had about 10 of these trucks, I love them and parts are plentiful, nice truck really, good interior, body. I'm not a fan of the 305, in the truck year but if it runs good what the heck.

In our area that truck would be worth 3-7K, depending on rust, miles I am in the rust belt. So will that be a salvage title or rebuilt title now?

Will you have to weld it up in a jig to keep it from dog tracking? Should make a good truck

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not one rust hole, I’m told I don’t need a jig to weld it because of the way the 2 frame sections slot together.

As my Dad the car salesman used to say, it was only driven by a priest’s wife to church on Sunday. The 83 year old lady owner had no collision damage insurance so it never went near them and never got a salvage title, it’s already in my name cleanly. To me, these were the last solid trucks made by GM in recent years, real bumpers not a chrome trim bumper like later years, and heavier gauge sheet metal.