1998 Silverado 4x4 Project

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The lady I bought the truck from has this bulb, she lived in Halifax during WW2, this is a blackout bulb, it still works. It emits a dull reddish glow from the top circle area, enough to keep you from falling over the furniture. The harbour was a major convoy staging area and lots of German subs hung out there, it had an anti submarine net across the mouth of the harbour. Bulb used with blackout curtains.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When you bought the frame section, couldn't you have bought the whole frame since it was not hit in front. You are taking cab and bed loose any way.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Buying some used parts, 11 blade fan and clutch- clutch has the same depth front to back but diameter is about 3/4 inch larger on the replacement, 6.25 vs 7 inch. Both have the bimetal coil, can I use the 7 inch?

Thanks,
Don

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another question, there are 2 electrical connectors on the driver side of the 4l60E, behind the shift lever, are they glued in some way? I read that on a YouTube video, do they need heat gun to be removed? They seem stuck and not moving even a small amount using normal pressure with a screwdriver.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got everything disconnected, lifted the cab and moved it back, did a practice lift of the drivetrain. It worked fine with the engine, exhaust, transmission, and driveshaft all still connected.
Need to clean up the new front section, POR it, do all the measurements pre cutting the existing frame, then cut it at the weld joint, slide out the front end and front frame section. Will block the rear section up, may also block the drivetrain up as well. It looks like it can be supported solidly via blocking under the transmission and engine oil pan. D1E565F3-C8B3-4F4C-B487-47EC45B04D97.jpegCCE48990-02D3-4497-83DC-3A677A7B6D5D.jpeg921A655E-B242-4CF6-BE52-AE6BA2A867C7.jpeg50AB156A-0A97-41CE-990C-63014B4408FD.jpeg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Replaced the front frame section, it’s almost all back together, just dropped the box BA60EB78-2816-460C-A486-8532D742C040.jpegA476B441-9BED-4C54-A2FB-4A460E3C1DD2.jpegon yesterday. Have had it running and a yard drive, only engine light on is the airbag, will work on that. Replaced driver fender and hood with southern used, grill, bumper, rad support. New body parts primed, grill and bumper not installed, will do that next.

I got good frame dimensions, the front frame section slid in place very nicely, very little room for error, everything measured up within a couple of mm but a wheel alignment is next and that will tell the tale?

This truck has original exhaust and it’s in perfect shape.

My buddy the painter will paint the gray lower trim when he does the fenders and hood.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No leaks, left it running a while outside this morning, everything seems great. Still some minor electrical hookups to do, getting insurance in place so I can get plates. Needs a wheel alignment, paint it. Will see what hidden surprises happen once I drive it a bit.218CD371-B745-4F4A-8AF3-BC6E311B1D0A.jpegD027F6C9-0A71-443F-BEA8-3D458B52632A.jpeg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Used that snowblower twice this winter, getting a bunch more today, along with some rain.