220 single phase to 3 phase help needed

Miataman

image.jpg

Hopefully this photo is large enough to read. This came with the balancer. I can't read it to see what to change, but it should help if you can find someone who can read it. My 1001 came wired for 220 v 3 phase and I need to convert it too. But I have the chart to show someone. Now hopefully everyone else will too.

Last edited:

Nickgc123

Hi there I have a hofmann geodyna 85 Tre balancer . its wire to 3 phase but says 22/380v 0.65kw runs on 50/60hz i was told it lights up and the motor was gone but I has converted the motor to single phase. the trouble is. I have 4 wired to conect to the mains colors are earth and blue, brown, and black . I tried various configs but unit will not light up. can you or any one help me to use this on a single phase. ie 3 prong plug. Im not sure if this does have a neutral connection . Or if this will run on single phase with out a converter and then im stuck not knowing to look for. if any one can help please let me know i really want to get this to fire up. Nick

Nickgc123

If you were in NZ Bob i could help you out no problem but your system over there still has me confused :rub
Some three phase motors can be run on single phase with the use of capacitors to create a phase shift, a lot of chineese motors come into NZ like this.
The two voltage references on the motor over here would mean that we could run it through a Variable Speed drive that plugged into the single phase 230VAC supply and delivered 230VAC 3 phase output. The limit is the capacity of your single phase supply.
Sorry for the confusion, would love to help.
Steve

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi there I have a hofmann geodyna 85 Tre balancer . its wire to 3 phase but says 22/380v 0.65kw runs on 50/60hz i was told it lights up and the motor was gone but I has converted the motor to single phase. the trouble is. I have 4 wired to conect to the mains colors are earth and blue, brown, and black . I tried various configs but unit will not light up. can you or any one help me to use this on a single phase. ie 3 prong plug. Im not sure if this does have a neutral connection . Or if this will run on single phase with out a converter and then im stuck not knowing to look for. if any one can help please let me know i really want to get this to fire up. Nick

Your post is somewhat confusing and the wiring diagram you posted is for a single phase 220V with a converter built in for the reverse 3 phase motor by the manufacturer.

Do you have the owners manual with your 80 series with a wiring diagram you can post? If not and your data plate states three phase Green is Ground, Blue line 1, brown line 2 and Black line 3 if what your stating these wires are coming from your panel tied too a 3 phase breaker.

If someone changed the 3 phase motor too single phase. You have too follow what input power line went to the switch in the safety cover that turns the balancer on/off the lines going too the now single phase motor from the power source input and connect only the ground, and line 1, line 2 and elimate line 3. that means you have too replace the 3 phase breaker with a double pole single phase breaker.

Hopefully I haven't confused you more attached is a three phase wiring diagram.tire balancer wiring diagram.jpg

Nickgc123

:D Well Bob it appears that you have a single phase unit. I am not big on how they wired it but I would like to know why they didn't use the white wire for the return and used the green. In the pic of the innerds is that a white wire hooked to the metal case below the green wire?
Your post is somewhat confusing and the wiring diagram you posted is for a single phase 220V with a converter built in for the reverse 3 phase motor by the manufacturer.

Do you have the owners manual with your 80 series with a wiring diagram you can post? If not and your data plate states three phase Green is Ground, Blue line 1, brown line 2 and Black line 3 if what your stating these wires are coming from your panel tied too a 3 phase breaker.

If someone changed the 3 phase motor too single phase. You have too follow what input power line went to the switch in the safety cover that turns the balancer on/off the lines going too the now single phase motor from the power source input and connect only the ground, and line 1, line 2 and elimate line 3. that means you have too replace the 3 phase breaker with a double pole single phase breaker.

Hopefully I haven't confused you more attached is a three phase wiring diagram.View attachment 63792
the only one i have and its not very clear is this attached. thanks for your help. Nick

Attachments

• IMG_20180824_212833.jpg
    IMG_20180824_212833.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20180824_212613.jpg
    IMG_20180824_212613.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 9

Nickgc123

Hopefully I haven't confused you more attached is a three phase wiring diagram.View attachment 63792
oh and its a 85 model not an 80 not sure is its so different though.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well it is 3 phase and all three phases have too be connected to the terminals as all three legs control something with the controls where I have the three red dots below the supplied powered to the unit. The red circle I have in the middle of the drawing are those fuses and if yes have you checked them? Also if the prior owner put a single phase motor in the unit the 3rd leg that would be going too the 3 phase motor would be terminated with that said the unit probably only goes in one direction and not forward and backward. When I mentioned 80 (80 series unit) as there is a few 80 models. Also when you checking things electrical unless your experienced make sure you have no power applied and the unit unplugged or disconnected again unless your experienced with electric. Hope this helps Ted
20180825_120711[1].jpg

Nickgc123

Well it is 3 phase and all three phases have too be connected to the terminals as all three legs control something with the controls where I have the three red dots below the supplied powered to the unit. The red circle I have in the middle of the drawing are those fuses and if yes have you checked them? Also if the prior owner put a single phase motor in the unit the 3rd leg that would be going too the 3 phase motor would be terminated with that said the unit probably only goes in one direction and not forward and backward. When I mentioned 80 (80 series unit) as there is a few 80 models. Also when you checking things electrical unless your experienced make sure you have no power applied and the unit unplugged or disconnected again unless your experienced with electric. Hope this helps Ted
View attachment 63817
Thank you so much so do you think i should buy a converter single to 3 phase of ebay I have the 3 phase motor. what should i be looking for there are so many on ebay some 3 phase 220v out put. dont know what to look for. checked fuses all ok. Nick

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you so much so do you think i should buy a converter single to 3 phase of ebay I have the 3 phase motor. what should i be looking for there are so many on ebay some 3 phase 220v out put. dont know what to look for. checked fuses all ok. Nick

Let's back up, take a picture of the data plate and attach. The 85 is already a 3 phase according too the drawing you attached. I cannot read all the components on the drawing as it's too small and when I expand the drawing it's too distorted. It would be nice if you could blow it up and i could read it too see what the part is in the bottom left corner and what actually controls the 3 phase motor. Have you actually hooked up Green ground and L1, L2 and L3 to the terminal block and does the 85 power up? And do you have any info as too why the prior owner installed a single phase motor? As I mentioned above only 1 wire would be terminated from the orignal 3 phase motor and the single phase motor should've rotated. If you bought a VFD you would have too eliminate all the controls and wire it into the 85 according to the VFD wiring diagram just too control the 3 phase motor and none of the other controls would work. If you tied the input power and everything does power up just install the 3 phase motor according too the drawing you can read and see if it works.

http://www.hofmann-global.com/en/index.html

Last edited:

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I thought you wanted 220 or 230vac input? Also that vfd is 4 times the amperage capacity of your .67kw motor.

Clint

Well Known Member
I would contact Smith electric Motorworks in Missouri. They supplied the converter for my Bridgeport.. less than$200. They are very knowledgeable.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

it will only control and run your motor. turn your mounted wheel forward and backward, none of the balancer controls will be used and the balancer is useless. You need too troubleshoot why the present motor or your new 3 phase motor isn't getting power from within the present circuit at the motor.

If you installed the VFD how or what would tell you where too place weights for balancing?

Nickgc123

I thought you wanted 220 or 230vac input? Also that vfd is 4 times the amperage capacity of your .67kw motor.
Im not to sure but I'm in Australia and we have 240v single phase. so i need to have single phase in to 3 phase out but not to sure how much would be needed volts wise out 3 phase. it needs to power the whole machine as is. sorry confusing. I want to buy of eBay as live 3 hours from any shops one way. so if any one can give me a link here on eBay what i should be looking for I would be so grateful. Thanks every one. Nick

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Nick,
the link I provided for the KB VFD is okay for 240 volt single phase input and 240 volt three phase output. KB has dealers in Australia as shown on their website.
As others have mentioned, a VFD will get the motor to turn, but there are other system interlocks to consider. Perhaps you should hire an industrial controls tech to check out and diagnose your machine.