283 woes

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You say it was not getting gas before , and you are sure it is getting enough now??? Just put a little down carb and see if that does anything. Not familiar for sure on Holley ,b ut would there be a rock filter in the fuel inlet fitting.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you didn't replace the rotor, you might want to pull it off and look for a burn mark near the center on the under side. May have burnt through?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok thank you guys I will get back to it today but my plan is to find a factory points distributor and go back to original as soon as I can find a distributor as my son took my last one for his 62. Kids I'm telling you!!

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Here is a long shot. When replacing an intake manifold on an early SBC, it is easy to pinch or even crush pushrods if longer than stock bolts have been substituted. I would remove the valve covers and have a look while cranking the engine.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No resister wire battery side of distributor is plugged straight to battery and valve covers are off and everything moves and works fine.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's in one of my 63's and it came from a Craigslist add for 200$ ! I should have know better!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Get on Craig's list for a distributor!!!!:D I would just pull distributor from one of your other car's . That way you can know if that is your problem.

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
I'm on my cell so the picture is small but that ain't a holly its a Rochester...which brings me to the question I believe was asked before...have you poured a little fuel into carb throat? And did it fire up? If supposedly it rsn with the Holly that came on it has that Rochester had been sitting on your shelf long enough to varnish the filter and stick float shut? If Experience is a Harsh Teacher, I must be into S&M.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Lol I was thinking its a carter afb but thought on a SBC?! I'm 80% Mopar but don't hate me! Still, is it passing gas?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It had a holley 600 but the floats stuck so I put on the carter off of a 65 400 hp motor can't remember # . pulled hei today and picked up a points distributor off of a running motor and the coil from a friend so I'm going to try again sometime this week if I get off of work early enough. Oh it's a 3783s

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Change the spark plugs,they're most likely fouled badly,and unless new[and are not Champions]they likely won't "come back".

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
How long has the 63 set . Are you pulling gas from the tank ??? You said you put fuel pump on,so presume you are. Check the gas quality. Take a sample and pour on ground ,somewhere safe and see if it will ignite with a match. I once was working on my son's 64 Impala to run again after setting about 4 or 5 year's maybe longer and the pickup tube in tank was completely varnished shut. Had to soak with choke cleaner and a wire to get opened up again.

Last edited:

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The gas is not very old as I had put a new fuel tank in the car a few years back when it had one of my 409's in it before I sold the car minus the motor and just recently bought the car back because the guy has health issues and figured he would not get it done. I bought new plugs today and timing cover seals today for my project this week. Thanks everyone

poison ivy

Well Known Member
verify that the # 1 cylinder is on the compression stroke,lines up with balancer, dist is pointing to #1, and cam, crank lined up. start at beginning. you said it popped so something is sparking.