(312) 63 Impala

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Remember the '63 impala we pulled out of a Chicago garage this past January, where it sat for 42 years? Well, we finally got it home! After taking a ton of pictures, we started taking things apart. Bagging bolts and pieces and trying to keep organized, we've made some progress. Yesterday, we pulled the engine and transmission and we hope to have the rest of the front clip off tomorrow. So far, things are coming apart pretty easily.
My first "big" problem we discovered is that the frame is bad. I need to find a good replacement. It is "soft" and is cracked near the trans mount. I kind of expected this. Chicago has some tough weather. But, we are not deterred!

As you can see by the pictures, my son and I are having a blast! I'm very proud of him and am blown away by his enthusiasm. After each day of work, he sweeps the floor and puts all the tools back and organizes them, without me telling him! It's really neat to see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 283

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Very cool! Old paint looks like it still has a lot of shine to it in the pictures. People get scared when you talk about needing a frame, but it'll be easier to change than doing sheetmetal repair. Keep the updates and pictures coming. I recommend keeping them all in one place......so maybe put the above updates and pictures in your original thread and keep building on that. It will be invaluable to you as time goes by and having it all together will make it easy for you.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you everyone! We are excited to share the experience and appreciate the members support. It's funny...I've probably read every build story on this site and they never get old. It's never the same story twice! There is always a new or different approach. We have a lot to learn, but I feel confident knowing the support and information is a click away. Thank you to all involved with making this site possible.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe
If you still need an x frame give Jason Williams a call 815-724-0838 pretty sure he may have one located in Crest Hill/Joliet Area.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Still having a blast! Colin and I have removed and tagged almost all of the exterior parts. We hope to have the rear bumper and remaining exterior trim off on Wednesday. Then, we will move to the interior and finish removing the headliner and dash.
I picked up a used auto rotisserie, so once we get the car completely stripped, we'll be ready to remove the frame. ( I've never done this.) I was able to get a replacement frame from a local member. It will be blasted and powder coated. I'm very excited, as it will be a great new foundation to work from.
The body is still pretty solid, but the trunk needs a little attention. So, I picked up some original trunk pans that were cut out of a western car when I was in Colorado for Spring break. I will learn how to weld and put those in along with a new driver's side floor pan.
We took the "crusty" 327 engine to a local shop to see what they thought. It is locked up and full of mouse poop. I was told it wouldn't be worth the money to rebuild. They recommended selling the 461 heads, exhaust manifolds and crank and scrap the block. Not sure what to do there. In the mean time, Colin and I will clean it, remove the crank and try to get the pistons out ourselves. This is probably more for sh_ts and giggles, but he wants to see what the inside of the motor looks like. Sounds good to me. Eventually, we are thinking we will stick with a small block, but convert from a 3 speed to an M20 4 speed.
I can not save the interior. The animal pee stench is too much. I scrubbed the bare floors with bleach solution and that helped to get rid of the smell.
I have to say, I've never done anything like this to this extent, but so far so good!
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 1963 Impala colin removing pass door.jpg
    1963 Impala colin removing pass door.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 1963 Impala colin working on trunk April 2015.jpg
    1963 Impala colin working on trunk April 2015.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 1963 Impala interior removed.jpg
    1963 Impala interior removed.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 1963 Impala mostly stripped, end of day.jpg
    1963 Impala mostly stripped, end of day.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 1963 Impala rear floor pans.jpg
    1963 Impala rear floor pans.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 1963 Impala trunk.jpg
    1963 Impala trunk.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 159

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Joe,
If you strike a deal on the frame drag it about 500feet from Jason's shop across the street to Dave at CPC powder coating. He is running a special for the Bare frame $300 Includes sandblasting and powder coating. Depending on WHEN your ready for your small block/M20 I might be able to help you out there too. I have a 350/4bolt main crate motor and an M20 4speed in my 66 Chevelle that you could hear run and drive before buying. I keep wanting to convert my Chevelle to an LS3/T56. I don't think I would do that until the fall though.

Chris

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I spoke to Jason last night and I will be heading over there Thursday. I am going to have the powder coating done as recommended. Seems like a very fair price. I would be interested in your engine/trans set up. I'm not in any hurry either, just send me a message when you're getting closer to selling.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We are moving right along, but I have some questions.

How do I remove the trim around the rear window and the base of the roof?

What do I need to know about removing front and rear glass. I want to save them.

How do I remove the trim on the drip rail?

Thanks,

Joe

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The stainless molding around the front and rear windows has little clips that need to be unlatched with a special tool. The shop manual shows the tool and the clip location. the base of the roof trim has three nuts on each side under the sail panels with the dome lights. An easy and safest way to remove the front and rear glass is to cut away all of the rubber gasket material around the glass. This gasket needs to be replaced anyway. I leave the trim for the drip rail on the car. It is difficult to remove and reinstall properly, especially if the paint gets a little too heavy in that area. Not worth the effort to me.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great! Thank you for the advise. I will look into the tools needed for the trim.

Since I got ya...How do I get to the retaining clips above the rear wheel well for the side molding?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Now, that's a good question for a '63 Impala restorer. I have only had my '62 apart. Can't help ya with your side trim.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I think you gotta screw to remove on door moulding,1 if not 2(ends)....remove fender moulding after removing the fender....you can get a couple clips loose on 1/4 mouldings from inside the trunk.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That trim on the drip rail does come off with some perserverance. I start at the front and kind of pry from the bottom. Then work you way back little by little. Don't be worried as the part comes off as if it is bending. Be patient and do it bit by bit. I practised on a four door car (first time I was impatient and bent the crapolas out of it until I learned to be more patient.

Lots of guys leave this part on a tape it off prior to painting. Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to see how crusty things might be under the trim piece (it wasn't pretty on my 1961 Belair but solid on my SS car).

Good luck!

TomK