348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Another thing, were Butch and his wife there?? Butch if ya were, sorry I didn't get to meet ya man:(

Also, Grub if you read this, it was great BS'n with you and Michael for a bit, Good luck with that '52 F@#! I hope all goes well for ya while you're here in the states.:cool:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think someone told me at the event, that they bent two valves on a new motor after one run...
Valves were stuck in the head.
Paul

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Well we finally rolled into Oregon 3,346.0 miles in all, worth every mile of it. Thanks to Phil n company and all the cool people we met, just wish it would lasted longer so we could have met all the members. Pat n Patti :bow:bow:bow

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
What a great event. Don't want to repeat everyone's praise but Phil you did a fantastic job which we will all be remembering for a long long time. As Pat mentioned above the time flew & before we knew it we were headed home. Just not enough time in the day to meet everyone. Don't think this one could ever be repeated but hopefully in the future we can all get together again. Thanks again Phil & everyone who made it possible.:cheers

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well guys and gals,
we are still in Kansas with dorothy and toto, Phil and Candy have gone home.
i cant really put into words what tbis weekend has meant to me and my family. If i didnt get a chance to mert anyone while i was there im sorry. I have a habbit of talking a bit and i get held up. I still havent got to the end of pit lane yet:blah (I think Bob made this one for me)
For those of you that I met and talked the ears off thanks for making this all the more special for me. As it has been said above putting fa es to names has been great. I have laerned how to speak and understand Kentuckian, New Yorkeese, Montgomery Alabama but i still have to work on my southern Illinois hillbilly that one was difficult. I will post more soon, doing this off my cell phone and i have beer fingers at the moment. Not to be confused with bare and bear which to us are all said the same:scratch
i used to think of how this bunch of car people from around the globe seemed real close like a family. Now i know why.
i think of yall (picked up some southern influence there):D as family and miss you already.

Steve
Steve, the enthusiasm, quick wit, humor, and genuine goodness of your family just lit up Scott and me, and I'm sure everyone else around you. From our cars to our Countries, it was really and truly a pleasure to meet and speak with all of you. :hug:beer

Lonnie

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey i did pm Phil ,but he never did pm me back. I have tried calling him in the past several time's and would not answer!!!!!!Does this sound familiar!!!!! :D:D Oh , i did get permission from Candy at the event,so Phil will have to take that up with her!!!!!!;);)

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7

Don't know much, but I do know it was owned and raced by a dude named Jim Goodwin in Denver in the late 70's/early 80's. It was backhalved, painted, and lettered back then. Always raced with 690 or 583 headed 409 far as I know, least that's what Jim told me when I talked to him.

I heard at the convention that the owner prior to Jim bought it as a stocker for $300 in the mid 70's and made a drag car out of it. I also heard that when Jim sold it (dunno what year) it went to California, then Maine, and now it's back in Colorado Springs. Of course I forgot the name of the guy who told me that :doh It was a friend of Fred Kennedy's, from denver...

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hey Kevin saw you car parked never found you . 11's wow, what the heck you got in that thing?????

Ummmm, well, uhhh.....360" SBC with a lotta compression and a big solid roller...:back:D

I was looking for a black '63 SS with 'vette rally's on it, never saw one tho:( I was hoping to see it in person. Dude it looked like it was darn close to running and driving when you posted pics of it a month or so ago??

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Still have interior to go . Seat's are all done ,but next is headliner which i will not attempt, :scared I will let a shop do it . That is not Phil's car ,those two bubble's belong to Pat Loeb.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
:flagWell, I guess I didn't get around as much as I wanted to also. But I did catch up with some of my regulars: Paul, Shan, Bob Walla, Dan(Ishiftem)and Joel, who I am glad to see has his machine working well............:clap:clap:clapHad a nice talk with Steve, Lynette, and the in laws, Steve that was parked next to me(hope those carbs work out for your buddy), Ron Brinkman and his wife, Lonnie, Butch Schultz, Brian Lambert and his crew, 409 Charlie and his crew. Also visited with both Jim's, Ray, Cecil, old Iowa boy Doug Marion, and Dick McKenzie. Spent a couple of nights outside the room(after midnight) replenishing bodily fluids with Pat(409newby) and talking cars, hunting and other serious things. Ronnie Russell stopped by from time to time to catch up. He claimed insomnia, or maybe we were just keeping him awake??I also want to acknowledge Kim, the guy from California that DROVE his 63 convertible over 2,000 miles to Great Bend. Probably missed some others.

Thanks to Phil and Candy and all the other volunteers for doing a great job. :bow:bow:bow:bow:bowTil we meet again...........:flag:flag:pepper:pepper

Here's a great memory I have of the convention. We stopped at a gas station in Ellsworth a little North of Great Bend for some gas. This kid, around 14 says to me: You got a HOT ROD in that trailer Mr.? I said, yes there is, do you want to see it? At first his Dad said they had to go but then had a change of heart. So I opened the door of the trailer and took the cover off the front of the car and raised the hood..........i thought the kid was going to wet his pants..........I told him and his dad to come on down to the track and look me up but I never saw them, but I bet the kid will remember that W engine in my 64 Chevy for a long time.:dj

Last edited: