348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay we are finally home, so no more adventures for this trip. I'll be posting some more pictures and some thanks ASAP.

Bill and Linda

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well we made it back as well. I wished the event was at least a week long. Seems like I could not get around fast enough to take everything in. It was such a great place to be and I will forever remember it. It is amazing what effects these 348 and 409 engines have on us. Some driving 1500 miles one way or more & some even flying from other countries. It is not a Chevy, Ford,Dodge Chrysler or AMC thing, or a the year of any of these cars... It is the engines. We have a 40 Ford in our town with a 409 and is in the Portland Roadster Show Hall of fame. I always have to take notice no matter what vehicles they are in although like most of us they do look better in the 58 to 65 Chevy's. So with that being said I was really impressed by all the cars and the whuti puttin sounds were awesome but most of all the people. I don't think I can name one without naming everyone but Tommy, Cecil, Bob Thompson, Ricky & Loreen I probably spent more time with than some of the others. There was a wealth of information about these cars and there were great stories as well and it was hard to digest it all. By getting to meet Hayden and Jacobson it was surely putting icing on the cake as well. And Mr. Marion it is always a treat to see your smiling face and I want to personally thank you not just for being there but for what you have always done for all these old Chevy's for so-o-o many years..Phil, Candy and clan, you nailed it. I know it was not easy but hopefully you now can rest. A job so well done, hats off to you.

I got to take the ole nine iron down the track in the parade. That was the first time in 22 years it has seen one. I had the opportunity for a Kodac moment lined up with Paul, the Garbage Man too so I took it. So Paul here it is and thanks. That was great and I will send you a copy. Dan & Glenn, the best traveling partners ever. Thanks for the good times and belly laughs. It was a hoot. Cooped up with you two for nine days was something else. ButchIMG_9809.JPG

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Another thing, were Butch and his wife there?? Butch if ya were, sorry I didn't get to meet ya man:(

Also, Grub if you read this, it was great BS'n with you and Michael for a bit, Good luck with that '52 F@#! I hope all goes well for ya while you're here in the states.:cool:

Hi Kev, had a ball and it was great to meet you and your Dad, we are currently in Las Vegas on our way to Bakersfield then Eagle Field Drags near Fresno for Saturday and then Turlock Swapmeet this coming Sunday, then most of next week getting Michael's 52 to the shippers.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
To everyone involved with the 2014 conventional my hat's off to solute you for such a GREAT job. Even though we couldn't be in the racing format because of driving a convertible we are still talking about the cars. I know we didn't meet everyone but all that we did meet were great.

And Phil, if the banners don't turn up, say the word, I'll pay for a new set.

Dave Krueger & son Brad.
Royaloak62

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ok, it's time. "The trip home". A group, Scott, Lonnie Hall, the guy and gal with the Beautiful 58 Chevy 409 , sorry we were not introduced the Fugate clan and myself pulled out of Great Bend around 10:00 am on Monday morning. The trip on the two lane was great! Beautiful country. I tried to stay behind Bryan cause I knew we were in it all the way. Soooo, that part of the trip was pretty cool. Bryan was driving fairly sane at this point with only an occasional puff of black smoke upon encountering a small grade. Again rt. 70 was pretty tame, that is until we get into some of the rolling hills. Things start to get interesting here. Bryan's truck, a 2006 Duramax diesel "Is a friggin animal" damn thing is all hopped up. Got's a honk'en tuner, big ass tires and a sewer pipe for an exhaust pipe! Even towing a 3800 lb. car on an 1800 lb. trailer doesn't slow this thing down. I was still doing "OK". A little bit more "coal" was rolling. Kansas City was pretty good, pretty much a straight through deal, getting a little harder to keep up tho! Where things really get interesting is when Bryan and co. Decide to go through St. Louis instead of taking the bypass so Cody could see the arch. It must have been rush hr. To boot. Now Bryan's truck will pull away from you like a big block in a Vega even with his car and trailer behind it. Picture this, an elephant chasing a rabbit,,,,,,. My GMC dually Duramax is ok by itself but I have a camper that is 11'6" tall and weighs around 4000 lbs. loaded. Add another 6000 lbs. for car and trailer. All I can see, or not see is black smoke, this is what Sonny referees too as "Blowing Coal". no truck, no trailer, only black smoke behind Bryan. Seems Bryan doesn't like to be behind anyone, I mean anyone! So, here he is darting in and out of traffic like a monkey on crack with me trying to keep up with my elephant. I did the best I could and didn't lose site of him. More fun was when Bryan almost missed the exit! I'm pretty sure I smoked my brakes on that one. I think they all thought this was fairly amusing with Cody making a remark to Bryan, I'll give you ten bucks to head for the next exit and at the last moment jerk the wheel back on the highway! Haha Cody. I had to call Bryan and tell him "CUT IT OUT"! All in all the trip was a blast and we drove straight through, 1000 miles. Seems Cody got a real big kick out of the fact that I am an "Ole Fart" as I took the brunt of quite a few jokes that he came up with. I'll leave it up to Bryan and company to expand.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
WELL , I guess it's over .Giny and arrived home on Wednesday nite. We are still talkin about all the GREAT people we met at Great Bend.We have to tell every one it was a real pleasure meeting up with all of you . We also have to tell Steve & Lynette and Steve's parents and "Grub " and his son Mike. It was an honor and an extreme pleasure to meet all of you and possible start a great relationship. I hope you guys enjoyed your trip through the U.S.of A. Giny and I hope to talk with you soon..:clap:clap:hug THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR A ABSOLUTLY FANTASTIC WEEKEND !!!
:crazy:dance3:flag

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, you guys know how much I run my mouth all the time so I want to comment about our trip. I wanted to bring the golf cart so bad that we gambled on driving my son's old high milage Dodge truck. Ordinarily , I don't trust it on short trips , but that old truck ran like a champ and brought us home safely with no incidents. I figure it was 3/8 mile from the pits to the restrooms, so the golf cart was worth every cent it cost to get it there. It too, ran perfectly the entire weekend. Got a feeling it would have given the Wrat a run for its money. I so enjoyed seeing old friends and shaking the hands of people I have known from the forum but hadn't met. But, damn !!!!! There was so many people I did not get to say hi to. Bringing an unfinished car to a big event is not too smart but getting it there was the most important thing because I wanted people to have the opportunity to sign the door panel. Thanks to everyone who came by and signed. Now, to a most important subject, FOOD !!!. Our room was only a few feet from the Perkins Restaurant. I am an egg lover, to the extreme. I was in omelet heaven for 3 days. I loved that restaurant ! I have enjoyed the pictures that have been posted so far but my favorite by a long shot is of Ray standing by the fence with his head down. I will have a computer buddy copy that shot and enhance it and blow that sucker up to a huge size and then it will be displayed in my living room so I can see it all the time. The caption will read---- " Crap !! I had Russell and Taylor beat until that distributor gear broke ". Next time Ray comes by for a visit, I'm sure he will sign it and include a message just for me, LOL. I could go on and on but will end with this. Someone will take the bull by the horns and co-ordinate our next get-together. Probably next summer,,, probably up north. Doesn't matter to me,,,, As long as our health is good, Virginia and I will be there. I'm already looking forward to it. :beer:beer:beer

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That golf cart was parked on the trailer between Perkins and the Angus, first time I really got to look it over good. Impala emblems, tail lights, Cragar wheels, beautiful red paint, coolest golf cart I have ever seen. Good job Ronnie.:beer

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Poop Ronnie, I let a car pass me in pit row just so I could be the first car to race the Pack W'rat. I guess it turned out just the way it was supposed to. Lot's of memories to cherish forever.

Creig

I only got to launch one time. I didn't make it to the end of the strip. Don't tell me no one has a picture to post of that launch :cry. In the picture of me weeping at the fence, reference to " Who's this P.B." since my engine decided to eat the distributor gear I made the comment in the pit while cooking up sandwiches for anyone around, my
cars broke, just like at hunting camp if you don't hunt you cook! That's called the "camp bitch! I just said, hell, I guess I'm the "Pit Bitch". I didn't think anyone was listening.

Tell ya what, Ray. I'll do you one better than a picture. I was up in the stands video taping my brother's '62 SS (MrHP) and figured that as long as I was up there that I would get as many cars as I could.

Here's a video of your one run. You were looking really good until that distributor gear gave up the ghost!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Oh my God! My brother has joined us. I have a DVD of the event being sent to Ray so he can review his run. The pictures and video were shot by Creig. Thanks of coming and videoing the weekend. :cheers:drunk

Creig

No problem, bro. I figured you'd be too busy having fun in the SS to take in the rest of the show, so I taped as much as I could so you could watch it from home. Thanks for inviting me along. I saw a lot of beautiful old iron, met a bunch of GREAT people and had a fun time doing it.

Oh, and if anybody else wants me to search my videos for clips of their car making runs, just post a pic of it and I'll upload it to Youtube if I taped it. I'm not quite familiar with who owns what car here, so I'll need a hint or two. ;)

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That golf cart was parked on the trailer between Perkins and the Angus, first time I really got to look it over good. Impala emblems, tail lights, Cragar wheels, beautiful red paint, coolest golf cart I have ever seen. Good job Ronnie.:beer
I never got to find out who owned the golf cart but I think it was at the Chevelle show in Wichita this year.
Mearl