348 - 440 stroker build

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I thought people normally installed the oil gallery plugs and Freeze plugs prior to putting the rotating assembly in place? It shouldn't make that big of a difference if any at all, but I'm a step by step person. Definitely following this as your short block looks to be the same build as mine other than I only had to go .030 over, so your getting a couple extra cubes.

What type of plan do you have for heads and camshaft? What type of compression are you looking at getting? Any estimates on final Horse power and torque numbers?

427John

Well Known Member
If you think about it waiting till after rotating assembly is installed makes sense,that way if you find something that requires additional machining of the block doesn't require removal of them for cleaning again.Of course if is an engine that has plugs that can't be reached after the crank is installed you would want to put them in first.

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
It seems this thread has been going for 18 months and I wish I saw it earlier for my comment. I hope you balanced that Scat Crank. When I got my crank, I had my machine shop do a check on its balance (doing the same build on a 348). I ended up putting heavy metal put on one end to get it balanced. See atched photos from build - I included a photo of engine as it sits today (still needs completing).

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_1145-small.jpg

IMG_2151 - small.jpg

cruzin

Well Known Member
It seems this thread has been going for 18 months and I wish I saw it earlier for my comment. I hope you balanced that Scat Crank. When I got my crank, I had my machine shop do a check on its balance (doing the same build on a 348). I ended up putting heavy metal put on one end to get it balanced. See atched photos from build - I included a photo of engine as it sits today (still needs completing).

View attachment 76351

View attachment 76354

View attachment 76360
Yea, its been balanced, you can see the small holes in the counterweight.
The machineshop had to drill 2-3 holes on each side of the crank, its balanced with flywheel and damper.
It was not so much unbalance in this kit, well see how my next kit is, for my 434.
I like the black valvecovers, its on my ”to buy” list

Last edited:

AK-Guy

Well Known Member
Yea, its been balanced, you can see the small holes in the counterweight.
The machineshop had to drill 2-3 holes on each side of the crank, its balanced with flywherl and damper.
I like the black valvecovers, its on my ”to buy” list

Excellent! I did the same, balanced flywheel, damper, rods, pistons, etc. Good luck, your project looks great!

cruzin

Well Known Member
Excellent! I did the same, balanced flywheel, damper, rods, pistons, etc. Good luck, your project looks great!
Yea, bobweight for rods, pistons , bearing and rings also
Im hope a can start it up in a month perhaps.
Your looks great too.