348 head/block compatibility

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Are you sure that is a 811 block and not an 872? The 811 was the first version of the 348 block and was out of use well fefore Feb 58. The first version of the 872 did not have the spark plug cooling provision but the second version after about mid Feb , 58 did but the holes were not drilled. Bottom line is the 811 never had cooling but the late 872 did.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well...another person has contacted me about the sale. I told him I will tear down the shortblock to see if there is anything wrong with the engine. I'm out of town all week and haven't had time to do that. Hopefully this coming weekend I could do that.
I will let you know how things go. Just trying to be fair with.everyone!!

iaco59

Well Known Member
I do understand Phill and Ill wait to hear from you. It Maybe Unfortunate for me that I took so long trying to get everybody to agree that the 811 would or would not work. I trust Oldskydog Post.He is very knowledgeable. The 811 will not work for my car. I thank everyone on the site for there input. I learned a lot! Waiting.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
811 block will work with 791 or undrilled 256 heads. For 379 heads or later you would need to plug the cooling holes in the heads.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Cecil, I think I understand this process but the engine that I had,Had a cooling problem to start with. Reasons???? could be the . 060 bore ? maybe the machine work on the 379 making them 2.06 and 1.72 plus porting work?? maybe the cam I used ?? or even the pistons which was the builder said was more friction proof than cast?? just dont know! bought spacer from Ray blocked off cross over port under center carb which was not recommended on this site .Do you have any Idea why Intake temp would stay in the 265 to 290 range? Any way I believe like phil,Chevy made spark plug cooling for a reason . I just dont want to have to this all over again. Your opinions are greatly appreciated KEEP THEM COMING