348 head/block compatibility

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't recall any of the w engines I've worked, having the oil shield. But I've only worked on about a half dozen.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't know Phil, I believe all the ones I had apart were truck or industrial engines, but who knows their history.

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Stan, could you give me the casting date on the back of this block as well as the stamping on the front pad? thanks

stan b

Bungy,

Here are the codes:

Block
3751872 casting No.
G1158 date code
T317G front pad No.

Head
3732791 casting No.
B2158 date code

Intake
3732767 casting No.
A2458 date code

It appears I may have a later 58 truck block which still doesn't have the cooling holes. With earlier Heads and intake. It came apart this way so I'm putting it back together this way with a 340 horse 409 cam.

Stan

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Stan. You might want to double check that block casting date. It's probably C1158 and not a G. Don't think the engine could be assembled 3 months BEFORE it was cast. :)

iaco59

Well Known Member
while we are on the subject educate me.
Heads
l2660
3749948 tri power intake
Heads have been completely redone 2.06 intake 1.72 exhaust valve guide .952
Dont know for sure if Block is ruined or not but looking at options
3732811 block .040, honed , cam bearing installed freeze plug installed, set of .040 cast pistons. price is reasonable
Q. Will this block work with my heads. Ive been told"" Yes if i Drill and tap my heads " Yes". If i drill this block. I'm confused??
I know of another complete engine, water in both block and head condition unknown
Q. looked at another engine yesterday casting 3857655 GM4 and where the date code should be was" CFD" what is it?
My engine should be pulled this sat HOPEFULLY

stan b

Bungy,

After looking more closely (with my glasses on) You are right. The block casting number is C1158, which now makes sense

Stan

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 655 block is a 64-66 348 truck block.The CFD stands for Central foundry division.The date code on those is in the number of days in the year that it was produced,example;229 would be Feb.29,1964.

iaco59

Well Known Member
Thanks Don,Phill. Never seen that before. Still would like to know if if the 811 is a compatible block or could be with my stuff if need be.

iaco59

Well Known Member
I really hate bugging you guys about this dam 811 BUT where i live is 50 miles to the closest machine shop who is backed up 6 months. Ants in my pants I guess . I want my car back running, but I dont want to make mistakes like the first time. bear with me!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That 811 block is best considered as a universal block that was used for the short period of time between when the very early 872 block and the later 5011 block. This block can be used with either the 791 head or the 379 head with no changes.If you want to use either head you can just bolt them on and go.If you're using the 379 or later head on this block and get the full effect the spark plug cooling,this block has provisions for the holes to be drilled.The 872 does not.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your stamping indicates;T engine build plant,0220 would be build date,H =250 horse with Turboglide trans.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
T. Tonawanda assembly plant
2. February
20. Assembly date. My birthday!!!!!
H...250 (basic 348 engine) with TH trans.