348 oil pressure help

j48066

:dunno I haven't been on the site in a while. But I have been reading it off and on when i can. i put a 348 tripower in a 33 chevy. i fired it up today and it sounds good! but there is no oil pressure on my oil gage. Does the sending unit for the oil pressure gage go above the oil filter? I took the sending unit off but no oil was coming through that hole. i didnt run the engine long and there wasnt any noise i could hear. HELP!!!!
:dunno John

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, did you use a primer to pre-lube system? No oil coming out of oil sender hole is a sign of oil pump not turning at all. Pull distributor , use a priming device and leave oil sender out so you can monitor.

j48066

no, i did not use a primer. i am trying to locate one now. Show Time is closed until the new year. i am in the process of dropping the oil pan and pump. is there different lengths on the oil pump extension rod? i measured my joe hunt electronic magneto and from the intake manifold down to the oil pump rod and something may be a little short.
i appreciate your help and any info you can provide will be very helpful!:bang
Thanks,
john

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
oil

If you have an old long scredriver cut it off and spin it in a drill to pump and look down hole to see if oil is coming out of main galley.:)

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
John
Did you by chance use a small block oil pump shaft? It,s shorter than a 348/
are your sure that the distributor did deed engage the oil pump.
Before you drop oil pan, measure the distance from intake mounting to the
oil pump shaft, against the distributor lenght.
Allen

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, Correct Melling part number for 348-409 is IS 55 A big block number is IS 77 ,,, IS 77 will work but might have to use a double gasket under the dist. I'm afraid Allen is right and you have used a smallblock shaft.

j48066

Thanks for all the info. i measuered from the intake to the oil shaft before removing the oil pan and it was 6 1/2 inches. I took the oil pan and oil pump off.

Does anybody know the oil shaft length? mine measures 5 3/4 inches. my jo hunt magneto measures 7 1/4 inches. when installed, the magneto was sitting flush with the intake manifold, so i dont think that is the problem. i manually spun the oil pump and it does pump oil.

What or who is "models"?

i am done for the night.:cuss
will try again tomarrow.
john

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
John,
I have a 409 oil priming tool (old distributor) I have used on my 409. I'll let you borrow it if that will help you out.
Since Roseville is so close to Royal Oak. It's what 5 or 6 miles apart? Send me a e-mail so we can work something out if you still need something.

Dave

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Out and about

I am currently out of primers for 348-409. SBC primer will pump pressure, but not to the lifter galley if you just want to check the pump and sending unit.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, I usually keep a couple of those in stock, but I just used the last one. I do have a IS 55E which is small block. It measures 6 inches from end to end, including the steel collar. Dist shaft would fit inside collar about 5/8 ". It does sound as if you have a small block drive rod instead of 348-409.

j48066

i went out and got the melling part number IS55E, installed it with the jo hunt magneto in, and it still aint workin. i can turn the oil pump shaft. so now i am thinking the magneto length is wrong. does anyone know the length of a 348/409 distributer shaft?
i appreciate all your help.
john:mad: :cuss :evil :scratch :bang :grumble:

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Length on a Mallory 409 Mag

I just ran out and measured my 409 magneto. 7 1/4" from gasket surface to end of gear stud. The oil pump drive tab is recessed up into the end of the dizzy gear 3/16. You wrote that the Joe Hunt mag you have was 7 1/4. Any chance the drive tab is sheared? I know it is a long shot but your setup soundl correct. What manifold are you running?

Robert

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, Why in the hell would you buy a IS 55E ????? That is a small block shaft. Aren't you working on a 348 ??

j48066

my tri-power manifold number is 3749948. under that number is GM No 1. under that and upside down is E1259. i bought my complete tripower set up with manifold and carbs, ready to run from Automation Rochester Carburetor Service. i will try to send pics. when it was running for that brief moment, it sounded great. hopefully i can get some oil pressure.

Attachments

• webpic7.JPG
    webpic7.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 53

j48066

Ronnie,
going to return the IS 55E. The shaft i have is 5.75 in. the IS 55E is 6 in. i want to get a measurement . I dont know length of 348 oil shaft(IS 55) the IS 77 is 6.70 in. i'm just a back yard mechanic needing some help:bow :bow :bow

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Buy the IS 77. Your local parts house will not have IS 55A,,,, No problem, they will have the IS 77. Use it and you will have oil pressure.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, You should check to see if magneto has bronze gear. Most did because of roller cam application. Not sure if you want to use bronze gear on a flat tappet cam. Also, if it is a bronze gear ,, because of it's age there may be a small differance in length of gear. Something else to check.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
John, After you install the pump and BEFORE you put the pan on,,, crawl up top and stick a screwdriver into pump rod to make sure rod is not in a bind.

j48066

Order part - IS 77 from NAPA will be in Monday i will keep all suggestions in mind when putting back together. Have to get with the guy from Royal Oak MI.:coffee: