348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes you booth need and want that line.It appears to be a ported source for the vac.advance.A cleaner option as a winter project would be to source a hollow carb mounting stud from Show Cars and install it on the rt.rear of the rear carb.Then you can make a short hose from the stud to the advance and plug that port and lose that not so pretty cooper line.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Yes you booth need and want that line.It appears to be a ported source for the vac.advance.A cleaner option as a winter project would be to source a hollow carb mounting stud from Show Cars and install it on the rt.rear of the rear carb.Then you can make a short hose from the stud to the advance and plug that port and lose that not so pretty cooper line.
@Don Jacks Is this what you are referring to?
Is it as simple as removing one of the current rear carb studs and replace with this one then plug the rubber hose?

aTignkT.png

Last edited:

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Alright!!!! she's all dyno'ed and good to go!!!!
Here is what I have to say prior to delivering the numbers:
This is an early '58 348 casting 872 block with 333 heads. She has the factory intake with 3 Rochester 2bbl carbs small base.
Now I've been told that a single 4bbl carb is the way to go to get the most out of these work horses, this from Carl McQuillen. Somewhere around 350 hp with that setup and upwards of that in torque if it was applied to my motor.
Also aside from the restrictive intake, I have exhausts that have been blocked for noise, evacuating through dumps at the rear of the cab. That takes away 10 hp as per dyno results.
So here it is: She made 288 hp and 327 ft/lbs torque. I expected more!!! @Don Jacks , we followed the recipe :dunno2
However, what IS MOST IMPORTANT to me is reliability, dependability and the aesthetics of the tri setup, so beauty over power.
I think it's plenty for what I need it for. Won't be racing this thing, and I do want to drive it...a lot :cool:
Here are some pics and videos of the session. Had it booked for the day, performed 8 runs I believe. We tested open headers and closed through the rear dumps.
Overall, I am happy everything went well. I'll be happier once she's back were she belongs and drives without any issues!!

Sck7c9Z.jpg
TUggDiO.jpg
kPg4cO4.jpg
sB7Ekse.jpg
A5IyzgK.jpg
rjlYz7C.jpg
kVLf9Sv.jpg
LyGZVNq.jpg
5iTa3vt.jpg
1IyZFwN.jpg
mHwgRlp.jpg
bMOQ2GQ.jpg
CmukxuD.jpg

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It will make aa little more after it's fully broken in.It's less than I thought it would be.I don't know how much if any bowl work was done when they went to the next size up valves either.Compared to what he had this thing's going to feel like a rocket..

'37-4D

Well Known Member
This from SuperChevydotcom:
"The first of the new Turbo Thrust 348 engines produced 250 horsepower. It had a Rochester 4GC four-barrel carburetor and pumped out 355 lb-ft of torque at 2,800 rpm. The second was a Super Turbo Thrust 348. It had three two-barrel carburetors and produced 280 horsepower at 4,800 rpm with 355 lb-ft of torque at 3,200 rpm."
I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that I have the earlier of the '58 blocks :dunno2

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Nope,that early block has nothing to do with it.The late Joe Sherman built a 650 horse 437[.040 over,4 inch stroke] using an early 58 block.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
It will make aa little more after it's fully broken in.It's less than I thought it would be.I don't know how much if any bowl work was done when they went to the next size up valves either.Compared to what he had this thing's going to feel like a rocket..
:good

'37-4D

Well Known Member
The charts appear not to be monitoring A/F ratio?Also what did the timing curve look like?
I wasn't there in person. The shop guys went. Curious, what makes you think they didn't monitor the air fuel ratio?
If you don't mind please elaborating on where this is going for this newb to better understand LOL.
Do you think the carbs could be tuned better? :dunno2

'37-4D

Well Known Member
The charts appear not to be monitoring A/F ratio?Also what did the timing curve look like?
I spoke with the dyno guys and they did not have Rochester jets to dial the carbs right in. Also they couldn't use their AFR meter because of my exhausts. I'll have to take it to a chassis dyno guy that can throw one in the dumps to get a reading. I am also due to see a carb guy that specializes in Rochester carbs. Not sure if I just made any sense :blah :D

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Nothing to worry about here.That smoke is from the fuel mixture being rich at acceleration.This is caused by the accelerator pumps being engaged at the same time.This can be fixed by fooling with the pump squirter size or accelerator pump travel.No more than it's puffing,leave it alone.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Makes sense. You could buy an air fuel meter and either stuff it a foot or so into your collector one at a time and have your Rochester guy or you tune carbs while its running in your car

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The chassiss dyno thing isn't a bad idea if he can take A/F readings during the test.Then you'll be able to see if the jetting needs adjustment or not.