348 Tri-Power Build gone wrong / Follow New Rebuild

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There should be 4 rockers made that way,2 for each side of the engine.As Ron said,something looks off on those rockers on number 7 cyl.so have them check that.What are you using for push rods anyway.The old ones will not work,too long.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
There should be 4 rockers made that way,2 for each side of the engine.As Ron said,something looks off on those rockers on number 7 cyl.so have them check that.What are you using for push rods anyway.The old ones will not work,too long.
They used new push rods. Ill check the invoice to tell you what they are.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
How much of the poly lock is on the stud? When mine were adjusted the set screw was almost flush:dunno had to have custom length push rods for what I built. Although my rockers were 1.7 not 1.75

Attachments

• 4BD3740D-11E1-4A7E-AE89-F31EFF710240.jpeg
    4BD3740D-11E1-4A7E-AE89-F31EFF710240.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 19

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Wow those pushrods look way to long, rocker geometry should look more like Tim's in picture above. Either that or the picture is distorting the way it looks.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
@Don Jacks, the shop guy says it's the nuts that are hitting. They took them off and it still wasn't enough clearance. Need a 1/2" extra to clear. And they aren't just touching a little, they are touching a lot. Without the lock nuts on, it almost clears.
As far as rockers and pushrods (all supplied by Show-Cars), there is no valve train interference, it turns over perfectly.
They will deal with the rounded rockers and use them appropriately.
Says, stock or dress up valve covers don't fit big rocker arms. This is the result of a non stock motor.

They will check the rod length.
show-Cars did spec the wrong keepers. Wouldn't put it past them to have specked the wrong push rods too!!!! :grumble

Last edited:

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 817 and other small port heads have about a 1/4” lower valve cover rail than the big port heads. The pushrods in your set up do look quite long. I’d be double checking the length.

427John

Well Known Member
You may want to check the poly locks to make sure they're not long ones meant for a stud girdle,but I would definitely follow the advice given about double checking rocker geometry and pushrod length,something just doesn't look right its hard to tell by pictures but the rockers look pretty high up the stud.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
@Don Jacks This is what Show-Cars spec'ed
Only 2 rounded rocker arms in the set for #1 and #8 :dunno
My friend at the shop assured me that everything else is good. The 2 push rod lengths (intake set and exhaust set) are installed in the correct spot. The entire thing will be double and triple checked. It's not going anywhere until it is absolutely perfect. We have to give them some credit, they've been in business for 40+ years. Pictures can be deceiving is what he said. Told me to relax, take a sit and enjoy the show LOL

ov9ysou.jpg

'37-4D

Well Known Member
I would have thought that they would have needed one for each corner[4]????
Made complete sense when you said it. Me too. Looks like they have been engineered for Big blocks but not with the 348/409 in mind, so this could be specific to BB stock valve cover perhaps?!? :dunno

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
@Don Jacks This is what Show-Cars spec'ed
Only 2 rounded rocker arms in the set for #1 and #8 :dunno
My friend at the shop assured me that everything else is good. The 2 push rod lengths (intake set and exhaust set) are installed in the correct spot. The entire thing will be double and triple checked. It's not going anywhere until it is absolutely perfect. We have to give them some credit, they've been in business for 40+ years. Pictures can be deceiving is what he said. Told me to relax, take a sit and enjoy the show LOL
The push rods appear to be 5/16 but can't tell for sure. I don't see where Show Cars lists 5/16 push rods for a roller cam. I am glad your shop guys have it covered. BTW your finished photos of the truck look great!!!

'37-4D

Well Known Member
In your original mockup photo's are those 58 valve covers on the engine?
If you are referring to the last set of photos, those are from the first build dating back in 2017. The heads were the smaller 791 heads. And the Moon chrome covers worked well then.
The new build is a whole new animal using the 333 big port heads. Covers would have worked if it wasn't for the much bigger Scorpion rocker arms. They are substantially bigger than the stock ones that were on there before. I hope that I answered your question :)

427John

Well Known Member
Are you going to be using them?I'm looking for a set of 58 V/C to use on my truck,doesn't really matter to me if they have the bowtie logo or not,but I do want the 58 style without the slanted ends.I've got plenty of the later VC's just not the ones I want.

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Are you going to be using them?I'm looking for a set of 58 V/C to use on my truck,doesn't really matter to me if they have the bowtie logo or not,but I do want the 58 style without the slanted ends.I've got plenty of the later VC's just not the ones I want.
I don't mind parting with it. I have to check and see where they are. DM me as a reminder and we can discuss. They might have a little dent or two if I recall. I'll check.