348 vs. 327; or maybe a 409

JWahlstrom

My '64 still has its original 230, and I'm planning to upgrade to something with a little more kick. I'd initially planned on a 327, which I already own, but have been considering other options. I've never driven a W engine car and am wondering whether this might be a good time to change that.

The question at hand is, how does the performance of a moderately built 348 compare with a similarly built 327? Not making fine distinctions on the dyno sheets, but real life, seat-of-the-pants, I need to pass 4 or 5 cars at a time feel.

Then the question that naturally follows is, if I spent the money on a 348, would I wind up regretting not having spent a few bucks more for a 409 and just being done with it?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I agree with Mike (except for the "dog" part). I'd keep it "period correct" and go with the 327 (good choice) or the 409 (much better choice).

It can cost just as much to properly build a 348 as it does a 409, it's just that the "start up costs" will be higher for the 409 build.

For example, one can often find a usable 348 block and heads (admittedly, the lower performance build) for as little as $500 - $1000.
A similar 409 block can run $2000 on up and a set of higher perf heads are around $1500 - $2000.

The hard part is finding the 409 components in good condition...

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wristpin is kind of right. I'd keep that 6cylinder in it and stuff a Turbo on it. :D All joking aside. Keep in mind the only difference in any of the selection is cost. 6cylinder is free, 327 is $$ and 348 is $$$$$. Jumping to a 409 is $$$$$$$$$. The 327 is cheap in relation to anything else you might do. Not sure why you wouldn't just stuff in a 350 sbc because they are dime a dozen. No replacement for displacement but keep in mind 348s can be had pretty cheap that run. Performance wise, there are 348s that have more power then should be legal on the streets for most people but to get to the higher 400hp numbers in a 348 a large investment in your build has to happen. If I were you I would stuff a small block chevy in it for now and "...save your penny's and save your dimes" for a 348 and dress it up as a 409. Very very few people know the actual difference when you go to a local show between the W motors.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I initially wanted to install the rebuilt 348 in the wife's 58 Impala but decided to install a rebuilt 327 instead. No muss no fuss with the 327 with her poking driving with no issues.
BTW putting the 348 for sale if anyone is interested.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
My two cents but what do I know! My 61 348 convertible was two fours with cast exhaust and the 250/280 cam. It was decent driving but in the very few times I had it at a parking lot show/event the wow factor was amazing either with the cast valve covers or total stock look. Most folks really don’t know if 348 or 409. But the ones that do only looked at dipstick location;) so use the cheaper 348 but change dipstick as no one knows block stamping codes in my opinion.
Robert
0B8DC7F5-A769-4E55-AB1B-C8A8CE697A5D.jpeg56EF13A1-6A34-46D7-A453-4E866EE60836.jpeg

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
In 64 the car never came with a 348. Stay true too the car the 230, 327 or 409 :drinking
Oh I agree as having spent quite a few years showing nationally although with 409’s only as the 61 Convertible isn’t the restoration quality of the 61&62 cars. But he didn’t indicate he was racing with our esteemed racers nor showing nationally within AACA. So I still am of the opinion of the “W” look at those parking lot shows. I’d use a two 4 set up for the wow factor and change dipstick for the very knowledgeable :cool: I think I’d change the cam to a solid lifter with a touch of cadence. The parking lot spectators will love it. But…. Two fours on a small head/intake 348 is a bitch to get running perfectly but I’m living proof it can be done!
Robert

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
As much as I hate to say it, unless I had a very nice 340 hp 409 or something like that sitting around, I'd probably go with the 327 and a TH350.

Otherwise, you have to be prepared for the "slippery slope" of the 409 install, parts are much harder to find and maybe 3x the cost. I don't think a 348 stroker would be a bad option, but somehow it doesn't seem quite right to me. JMO and I get lazier every day.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Im 'slowly' putting a 348 in my 40, mainly because Ive wanted one since I was a kid building model kits, they look great, and I couldnt afford a 409, either to buy or run. Realistically, a 350 would have been a way better choice for performance bang for buck. If you go 348 make sure you get a late one that will take alli heads if you want to upgrade. I didnt know the finer details of them, mines early and wont.