350 to 348 motor mount conversion

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I would not be surprised it the reproduction perches are your problem. I have a original set if that is the case.

Razecarz

What would the dimensions be?ie hole to base and width of sides with thru holes? And how much? I would be forever grateful.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Paul,

Here are the frame mounts I bought from Classic Industries.

http://www.classicindustries.com/impala/parts/B1726.html

They appear to be the exact same thing. The transmission mount that is in there is the one the car came with when I got it. It had a 350SBC and Turbo 350 transmission in it. I just assumed that would not have to be changed. However, now that you mention it, my drive shaft sits rather high in the tunnel. If the back end of that motor was brought down it would bring the front end up, obviously. Although I have to wonder how the through bolt holes could possible line up if the motor was not level? Or is there that much flex in the motor mounts? I think I am going to drop that transmission mount out of there and see where the motor wants to go naturally, just out of curiosity.

And while I am being curious, I have to wonder, if there is only one frame mount, how is it that there is a short and wide as well as a tall and narrow motor mount? What kind of mount could anyone put that tall and narrow onto?

thx

Rae

Do you have the transmission mount - mounted in the lower of two holes of the frame mount(that has a total of 4 holes ) ? For all 4 speeds - the transmission mount is in the lower two holes. I think the automatics do also.
Paul

Razecarz

Well Paul, I think you hit the nail on the head here with the transmission mount holes. Imagine my suprise when I went home last nite and discovered someone had hacked off the bottom hole on the passenger side. Now who would do something like that and why? :mad I mean the hole is still there, it's just the material that used to surround it seems to be missing!

https://www.facebook.com/rae.bolduc...354263939.1073741827.656133938&type=3&theater

THis is a picture of what's left. Where am I going to find a bracket like that? GUess I can weld something on the bottom of the existing one.

Rae

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Well Paul, I think you hit the nail on the head here with the transmission mount holes. Imagine my suprise when I went home last nite and discovered someone had hacked off the bottom hole on the passenger side. Now who would do something like that and why? :mad I mean the hole is still there, it's just the material that used to surround it seems to be missing!

https://www.facebook.com/rae.bolduc...354263939.1073741827.656133938&type=3&theater

THis is a picture of what's left. Where am I going to find a bracket like that? GUess I can weld something on the bottom of the existing one.

Rae[/quot
I think we or I would be able to come up with a x frame that is not going to be reused as complete frame to cut the brackets off . I will need some time,gone next 2 days and the grandkids coming Others here might have rusty frame or damaged frame to cut the transmission mount brackets off.
Paul

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
1011844_10151778354348939_579202972_n.jpg

Geez I asked you about the trans mount before Paul did! :bow
that would put a bit of a twist on things...

Razecarz

@ Paul,

As you can see in the pix, I really only need the passenger side mount. Driver side is intact. If you happen to have one available that you can spare that would be great. I would gladly make a contribution to your grand kids's college fund. Or your 62 Impala acquisition fund. :) Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rae

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Weld a piece on and use the driver side as a template to drill the bottom hole- might be easier than cutting the whole thing out and welding another one in.

Don

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
no problem ... :thinkmain thing is a problem may have been found. Now to get it fixed. May be easiest to weld as a piece on then drill like the other guys said.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A portion of the hole is already there. I would make the lower piece drill the hole on your drill press then cut through the hole where needed and weld the piece in place and be done with it.

This is definable part of your problem but, if you only have a tooth pick of clearance at the pan and crossmember I think there is another issue as well.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dan, Is it possible that he has a '65 oil pan? They have the extra dip in the center and won't clear the X frame. I ran into the same problem with my '65 327 into a ;62 Impala. I had to shim the frame mounts higher. Leo

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I had a similar issue with the 60 impala with an aftermarket BBC pan, the original was at least 3/8 shallower. has the pan had a squeeze at all??? and pushed the bum down a bit, how much clearance from the crank is there? might tell what is wrong

Steve

Razecarz

Dan, Is it possible that he has a '65 oil pan? They have the extra dip in the center and won't clear the X frame. I ran into the same problem with my '65 327 into a ;62 Impala. I had to shim the frame mounts higher. Leo

Boy, you guys never cease to amaze me. In fact this is a 348 block out of a 65 farm truck. I had just put my thru bolts back in on my original motor/frame mounts and noticed that dropping the back end of the motor will give me my clearance in the front, but where the oil pan dips down it's almost touching the cross member now. It's only going to get worse (dented) if I go any lower.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
65 truck pan should be fine. 65 passenger car pan is like 65 up BBC pan and has 2- dips. Can you post a pic of the pan?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bolt a couple of thick washers on to the crossmember and level it all. Then weld the washers on. Could use square steel with a hole. Just jack it up into the correct place with the bolt in position and weld it.