350Turbo or 700r4

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a power glide in my 63 now thinking of switching to one of the above. Which one would you guys switch to and why? I’ve had cars with both I like both from my understanding the 350 is a easier swap. I did buy the universal cross member 2 years ago lol that’s how long I been trying to make my mind up :scared2

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The 350 is the easiest swap.
The 700 gives you overdrive and a deeper first gear, the down side of the 700 is if you don't get the TV adjusted correct on the first test drive you stand a chance of smoking the transmission.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 350 is the easiest swap.
The 700 gives you overdrive and a deeper first gear, the down side of the 700 is if you don't get the TV adjusted correct on the first test drive you stand a chance of smoking the transmission.
I like the 700r4 but your right about the tv cable adjusts line pressure. I had bought a core and had it rebuilt but I didn’t trust the rebuild so I sold it. Anytime you take a guy a tranny to rebuild and he gives it back with the same t/c seal and tail shaft seal and says “ there soft” is not a good sign in my head anyway. I’ve been poisoned by dealer life aka warranty work only replace what’s needed!! The thing I hate most about the power glide is the highway high revs just don’t see a 350 helping that enough!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tci makes a constant pressure valve body that makes the tv cable adjustment not as important. I haven’t looked into the specifics of it but know it’s out there.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My understanding about the constant pressure valve body, is it makes the pump run under full pressure all the time, to me sounds like it would be hard on the pump.
I have had great success installing the trans go brand shift kits.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tci makes a constant pressure valve body that makes the tv cable adjustment not as important. I haven’t looked into the specifics of it but know it’s out there.
Never saw that I know you can change the bullets to increase the line pressure.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah I guess some guys can mess them up. I've adjusted maybe 100. But if you don't have the correct bracket and cable for adjustments you can burn up a $2500.00 tranny the first time out.
On my 89 z28 we use to mess that cable to make it crash 2nd gear lol good times lol yeah I’m not to concerned about that part, my biggest problem is finding a good rebuild or rebuilder or maybe I’ll just grab one from summit racing a tci, b&m or hughes or if I feel crazy Art Carr