350Turbo or 700r4

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
How much engine are we dealing with here,Harry? Even a stock engine will provide the car with a little extra "kick" if you go up to a 2500 stall lock up converter in a heavy car,especially one with taller rear gears.Don't over look Transmission Center on line.Fatride's been running one of their converters for quite sometime with good results.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How much engine are we dealing with here,Harry? Even a stock engine will provide the car with a little extra "kick" if you go up to a 2500 stall lock up converter in a heavy car,especially one with taller rear gears.Don't over look Transmission Center on line.Fatride's been running one of their converters for quite sometime with good results.
Not a lot 283 heads, cam, .030over nothing crazy I just wanna cruiser. That I can ride down the highway.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
www.transmissioncenter.org otherwise known as PATC Your car most likely has the 3.36 rear gear.With that small engine,it would LOVE a converter in the 2500 range on take off.That,and the difference in torque multipaction between the 1.76 or so low gear in the Glide and the 3.06 low gear in the 700r4 will really be noticeable .:burnout

Last edited:

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
www.transmissioncenter.org otherwise known as PATC Your car most likely has the 3.36 rear gear.With that small engine,it would LOVE a converter in the 2500 range on take off.That,and the difference in torque multipaction between the 1.76 or so low gear in the Glide and the 3.06 low gear in the 700r4 will really be noticeable .:burnout
I’m on it Don thank you all good info!! I really appreciate :weld

Last edited:

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
On my 89 z28 we use to mess that cable to make it crash 2nd gear lol good times lol yeah I’m not to concerned about that part, my biggest problem is finding a good rebuild or rebuilder or maybe I’ll just grab one from summit racing a tci, b&m or hughes or if I feel crazy Art Carr
Yeah I will have to swap my TH350 for a 700r4 in my 1990 Firebird. The 4.56 rear gear is great for 1/4 mile, but getting to the track requires a trailer as she doesn't like 70+ mph for 60 miles.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah I will have to swap my TH350 for a 700r4 in my 1990 Firebird. The 4.56 rear gear is great for 1/4 mile, but getting to the track requires a trailer as she doesn't like 70+ mph for 60 miles.
I’m sure, my 63 with its stock trans and rear worked great 50 years ago when the speed limit was 35 lol but doing 60-65 even for 10 miles gives me a headache plus people just suck they ride my azz and are so close to me when passing make me crazy. :driver

425/409ER

Well Known Member
You should put in a 200R4, bolts right in where a P/G was, same length, you don't have to mess with the driveshaft. The only thing you have to do is get or make a different crossmember.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Either you've got a fairly deep gear in the rear of that car,or somethings wrong with that Glide.A typical car with a 3.36 gear,24 inch rear tires at 70 would be turning just under 3300 rpm when used with a 1-1 high gear.Put a tach on it and see what your engines actually turning at 70-75 mph.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Either you've got a fairly deep gear in the rear of that car,or somethings wrong with that Glide.A typical car with a 3.36 gear,24 inch rear tires at 70 would be turning just under 3300 rpm when used with a 1-1 high gear.Put a tach on it and see what your engines actually turning at 70-75 mph.
Yeah I was thinking that. I’m going to do that before I go switch transmissions. It maybe don I’m just not use to all those revs my daily drivers of course all have 6sp or 7 hell I think the wife’s car is 8!!

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You should put in a 200R4, bolts right in where a P/G was, same length, you don't have to mess with the driveshaft. The only thing you have to do is get or make a different crossmember.
I’m not to sure about the 200r4 don’t know much about them other then they were in the grand nationals. You have experience? How do they hold up? I thought they require a ton of mods internally to hold up?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 2004r can be beefed up enough to stand up behind stroker Olds,Pontiac,and Buick engines that routinely make more than 550 ft.lbs. of torque.Your 283 won't bother one.Go on line as there are builders out there who can build one that you'd never break.Get either unit from a builder who has a reputation for making them work,not some local guy whose only done stock rebuilds.More expensive,but worth it for peace of mind.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The 2004r can be beefed up enough to stand up behind stroker Olds,Pontiac,and Buick engines that routinely make more than 550 ft.lbs. of torque.Your 283 won't bother one.Go on line as there are builders out there who can build one that you'd never break.Get either unit from a builder who has a reputation for making them work,not some local guy whose only done stock rebuilds.More expensive,but worth it for peace of mind.
Sounds good Don I’ll take a look on PATC I like that site and I feel the prices are pretty good!! Ty

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I’m not to sure about the 200r4 don’t know much about them other then they were in the grand nationals. You have experience? How do they hold up? I thought they require a ton of mods internally to hold up?

Like Don said, the 200r4 actually holds up better than a 700r4. The gear spacing and low gear is better for driving, 2.75 vs. 3.06 so there is no bit gear drop like the 700. I used to have a buddy with a V6 Turbo Trans Am, it made 575 tq. and it held up fine. Let me ask you this, if a 409 or a 472 can stand up to a Power Guide, I think a 200r4 with a little work will handle it just fine. I have one for my son's 409 car I was going to put in this year. The only reason it never got done was it was either too hot or cold in the garage to work on it. My reasons for the 200r4 is that I really like that I do not have to putz around with the driveshaft crap again.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah I like the fact there is no driveshaft, I’ve just always wondered why everyone seems to do 700 and not the 200 especially since there’s no driveshaft issues. Yeah Im sure anything can be modified to holdup but at what price lol Time to start shopping and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info!