3779553 & 3858403 bell housings

bobs409

Administrator
Just bought 2 aluminum bell housings from a guy that lives up from me. (I bought a lot of parts from him before)

A quick search indicates that first number might be a rare one! Corvette and 409??? 60-63?

What can you guys tell me about these 2? (second I think is a basic mid 60's unit)

I'm on pins and needles... :waiting2:

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just bought 2 aluminum bell housings from a guy that lives up from me. (I bought a lot of parts from him before)

A quick search indicates that first number might be a rare one! Corvette and 409??? 60-63?

What can you guys tell me about these 2? (second I think is a basic mid 60's unit)

I'm on pins and needles... :waiting2:
Did you have pics and or numbers?

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I see the 403 is listed as for a 153 tooth flywheel and came on a lot of stuff and years. Found it on Muscle Car Central

bobs409

Administrator
So provided it rings like a bell when I tap it :D what is the best procedure to clean it up? I figure a soak in some solvent for the gunk but should I glass bead this?

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Even if it is cracked you can Tig weld it.You have skills.Check the thread for the middle starter bolt.You might have to helicoil.That other two run straight through and thread into the starter.
I would glass bead it.Spray it with a few coats of sandable primer(sanding after each coat to fill in some of the pock marks).DC81F10C-EFCA-4064-AE42-F135FEDF8FDD.jpegThen do a couple coats of Eastwood’s alumiblast.It will look awesome.

bobs409

Administrator
I checked both and they ring like a bell! :D

I did a few test areas and both look great with just WD40 and a brass brush. Both have to be soaked in solvent first to get all the old grime/grease off. (have one soaking now)

I want to clean them up whatever way brings the most money. :laugh4

bobs409

Administrator
Amazing what a little filthy diesel, wire brush and sweat equity will do. :D Still have to get a few nooks and crannies with a Dremmel sized brush.

Has a film yet, would have to be cleaned with brake cleaner to look it's best. Then I decide if I like it as is or go further....

DSCN4886.jpgDSCN4887.jpgDSCN4888.jpgDSCN4889.jpg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The best way to restore the original look is to have someone with a vapor hone blast it, it uses a mild media with water to clean. Glass beading will destroy the original look, I have also heard of guys using a media called black beauty that is crushed cinders and it leaves and original appearance to the aluminum.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The best way to restore the original look is to have someone with a vapor hone blast it, it uses a mild media with water to clean. Glass beading will destroy the original look, I have also heard of guys using a media called black beauty that is crushed cinders and it leaves and original appearance to the aluminum.
I have used black beauty too, did not like finish. Went back to glass beads. I have never heard glass beads destroying anything???