3D printers, anyone got one?

bobs409

Administrator
3D printing has been mentioned on here and now I find myself looking into them again. :D Still not sold that I want one. I think the filament is a bit expensive too which is a bummer.

Just wondering if anyone here had one and how it's working out. Don't be afraid to post details like brand, model, cost, what you like/dislike and maybe some of the things you made. Any you would recommend?

Prices seem to range from $79 dollars to 3K! (ok, they go a LOT higher but let's not get crazy!) :p

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob I have one I bought probably 8-9 years ago. It’s a Makerbot brand.
The operation is fairly simple. It does get technical, keeping the heating nozzles hot enough to melt the plastic and keeping the table hot to slowly cool it.

I have used it to make lots of stuff. Actually made a car part that was broken and was covered by leather. Worked well.

There are plenty of different brands on the market. I would read a lot of comparison details and consumer reports. Phil is correct, too cheap a price is too cheap a product.
Generally speaking get a good one at a little higher price, you won’t forget it.

bobs409

Administrator
Apparently you can print out some corona virus too!

3D_printed_covid19_coronavirus_help_2.jpg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Go to thingiverse.com

My oldest granddaughter learned how to use the one I have.
As she got to high school they had a much better faster version.
They began working with a medical institution and they made some components to make hands for kids without hands.

Kind of makes you feel good for taking a chance years ago.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
One of the guys at my work has one that he messes around with for fun.
Has been building face shield frames since this virus thing started and supplying them to hospitals and medical centers
I got him to print me 2 badges
The impala badge is 230mm across and 6mm deep. The whole thing printed in silver then he printed all the coloured pieces and you just put it together like a jigsaw.
The other badge is a hood badge for a 74 Datsun 710 (or violet, or 160JSSS) SSS coupe that i have as another project
cost to me for each badge was under $60 inc setup and drawing time

Steve
20200419_000001_resized.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Well I'm going to rule out the 3 in 1 printer. The laser and cnc engraver don't work on metal so the heck with that. Now if I could engrave aluminum for things like data plates and plaques, I'd be all for it but about all those 2 other options are good for are wood and plastic. Add to that, the one above seems to get a lot of bad reviews for quality and a better one I found won't be shipping until Sep 2020 and runs a few hundred more.

So my research goes on. If I decide to get one, it will probably be just the 3d printer. Sounds easy doesn't it? Until you start reading reviews and review videos. :wacko :bonkFor every good review you get a bad review. Then you never know if the reviews are biased.

Maybe I should get a cnc plasma table instead! :tongue2

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
Well I'm going to rule out the 3 in 1 printer. The laser and cnc engraver don't work on metal so the heck with that. Now if I could engrave aluminum for things like data plates and plaques, I'd be all for it but about all those 2 other options are good for are wood and plastic. Add to that, the one above seems to get a lot of bad reviews for quality and a better one I found won't be shipping until Sep 2020 and runs a few hundred more.

So my research goes on. If I decide to get one, it will probably be just the 3d printer. Sounds easy doesn't it? Until you start reading reviews and review videos. :wacko :bonkFor every good review you get a bad review. Then you never know if the reviews are biased.

Maybe I should get a cnc plasma table instead! :tongue2
Bob you should by both the 3D printer and CNC plasma cutter. There's alot of projects we all need you to do. Think of the Children Bob!